Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Roundabouts proliferating in America, drivers confused

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 07:12 PM
LexFather

Post Report: Roundabouts proliferating in America, drivers confused

Interesting since in GA they will be building more to cut costs and help with traffic flow...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/28/r...vers-confused/

Roundabouts are the scourge of many a motorist and a favorite calming device of traffic engineers, and they're spreading like crazy across the United States roadscape. As anyone who's had the joy of driving in Massachusetts or New Jersey will tell you, plenty of drivers have absolutely no idea when to yield or how to successfully navigate these rings of macadam.

According to The New York Times, the fertile Midwest has sprouted a bumper crop of these sometimes-confusing intersections, with 100 popping up in Wisconsin since 2004, and almost 100 blooming in Kansas, as well. Other states have a richness of roundabouts; Maryland has nearly 200, for example; and there's more on the drawing board across the nation.

Despite a public that's apparently skeptical of the change, there are plenty of positives to roundabouts. Speeds are low, and any crashes that do occur are less severe because the head-on collision is virtually eliminated. Emissions are also purportedly lower because there's less starting and stopping (though drivers waiting in epic backups approaching these things might disagree), they don't require electricity to operate and they keep traffic moving simultaneously in multiple directions. Since they do seem to be the favorite device of traffic engineers, roundabouts won't be going away any time soon, so we're all going to get the chance to try them out. Like brussels sprouts at Thanksgiving dinner, they might even turn out to not be so bad.

Old 11-28-10, 07:17 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of roundabouts. The ones I've come across seem to work really well.
Old 11-28-10, 07:39 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love roundabouts. With there were more of them in CA. They also save gas because you almost never have to come to a full stop
Old 11-28-10, 07:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Roundabouts suck. New Jersey has been getting rid of them. Everybody thinks it's a free for all and heaven forbid you stop to yield. You take your life into your hands. I avoid them.

Forgot to add, we call them circles here.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-28-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 08:03 PM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are severa here on St Simons & you can get a numb nuts from AZtl **** everything up. Esp the one with inner & outer loops @ Frederica & Demere. I have almost been killed by people going stright in the outside lane.
Old 11-28-10, 08:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

They're called rotories here. Although there's really only one that I'm aware of - in Cape Cod. It's worthwhile in this location because there's about 5-6 exits out of it. Not to sure it's worth having if it's just a typical 4 way intersection.
Old 11-28-10, 09:44 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I'd be scared to have one here, idiots in chicago can barely drive a straight line let alone a whole circle!
Old 11-28-10, 09:46 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

no thanks...
Old 11-28-10, 10:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think many Americans can handle these.
Old 11-28-10, 10:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i think once their incorporated into driver's training, and more are built, they should work well.
Old 11-28-10, 10:31 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the yielding is my biggest concern. i've seen roundabouts with stop signs, which just take up valuable intersection space and seemingly are nothing more than a city's careless waste of funds when a regular four-way stop block intersection would suffice. the yield part i can see causing more accidents, as there will be much confusion about right of way and whether it's safe to go or not.
Old 11-29-10, 05:50 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bruce van
I'm a big fan of roundabouts. The ones I've come across seem to work really well.
I love them and they have started putting them in around here.

BUT, its sad because it shows just how dumb most people are and they cannot process such a simple idea and it drives me nuts.
Old 11-29-10, 06:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

The retards (yes, politically incorrect everywhere BUT WI) here cannot handle them at all, crashes almost daily...
Old 11-29-10, 06:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
They're called rotories here. Although there's really only one that I'm aware of - in Cape Cod. It's worthwhile in this location because there's about 5-6 exits out of it. Not to sure it's worth having if it's just a typical 4 way intersection.
I believe I know that one. I vacation in Cape Cod frequently, I believe its right after some bridge.

That being said, roundabouts in USA are tough because US drivers have no line discipline or awareness.
Old 11-29-10, 07:05 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I don't think many Americans can handle these.
Agreed. Theory and practice are two different beasts...and I point to Dupont Circle, in D.C., as a prime example.

Quick Reply: Report: Roundabouts proliferating in America, drivers confused