Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you live a 1/4 mile at a time?
Yes, I follow this guide
31.58%
I live my life 1/8 mile at a time
15.79%
My Acura Type S Type R A spec SH AWD runs the streets son
10.53%
I raced my own momma the other day
42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Guide on How to be a Street Racer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 09:10 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

* Try to secure the front spot when waiting at a stoplight.

I do.

* If you cannot secure the front spot, be sure to stop behind a car that has a higher probability of driving fast.

Yes I do.
I do both of these. I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere anymore. In fact, the maximum I'll drive over the speed limit is 5 MPH, so I'm (no longer) an aggressive driver. That said, I find it slightly irritating when cars deliberately take 30 seconds to go from 0 to 40 MPH (and another 30 seconds to go from 40 MPH to 60 MPH) in a 60 MPH zone. You don't have to go WOT but be reasonable.

You know, paradoxically, sometimes the higher end sports cars are more notorious for deliberately lagging off the line than "regular" cars. That Corvette ZR1 first in line? He's "too cool for school" to accelerate to 60 MPH in anything under 2 minutes, so he'll take his sweet *** time. Those regular cars "flying" past him at 60 MPH (i.e. the speed limit) while he's purposefully taking 3 minutes to accelerate to 60 MPH? Why they're all ricers of course. What do they think this is - a race?

Anyways...

Not only do I do the two things mentioned initially (trying to secure a first place spot or a spot behind a faster car), but if I'm the first at a stop light, I always take note of a car aggressively changing lanes to get into my lane behind me. If I see a car do this, I usually think "this guy probably wants to get somewhere in a hurry" so as a courtesy I'll accelerate hard (not WOT necessarily, but harder than the car to my side) off the line and change lanes so the guy behind me can go about his way.

I actually did this for some soccer mom in a BMW 750i (I saw the tag as she sped by) a couple of days ago.

Like I said, I'm first at the stop light (in the left lane) and there are 2 cars in the right lane already. A BMW 750i is coming up (right lane) and aggressively changes to the left lane to end up behind me.

Light turns green, I accelerate quickly and move into the right lane - at which point I cruise along at the speed limit.

This soccer mom in her 750i accelerates hard and she's off. If I had to guess I'd say she hit at least 85-90 MPH (we're on a 55 MPH road) pretty quickly - at which point she gets pulled over by a cop about 1/4 mile ahead.
Old 11-29-10, 10:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Funny sitting here in front of the pooter. while on the roads.