Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Volvo moves away from 'premium' image

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 01:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These brands in question should just do what they do. There's no sense in ever trying to achieve tier 1. There's only a handful that can be tier one, and those spots are spoken for. And the only one's who have achieved tier one status are those that started out from the very beginning as such. Because that's the reputation you run with forever.

These second tier brands include...

-Acura
-Infiniti
-Volvo
-Saab
-Lincoln
-Cadillac
-Buick
-Hyundai

There's nothing wrong with this class of car. They shouldn't have to apologize for it.
Old 11-30-10, 04:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.............meaning the old cubical/shoe-box designs before the late-1990's

While I (admittedly) tend to be somewhat conservative in auto styling myself, those old Volvo designs were about as stodgy as one can get....even by my tastes. Those shoe-box vehicles were one reason why the marque got its schoolteacher/librarian image.
Well I don't mean necessarily to go back to the shoe-box designs. IMO they should come up with a modern, yet still Swedish design theme. Maybe lots of sharp lines with a bit of curves, sort of what Saab is doing with their design.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Volvo and Mercedes, for the most part, still lead the safety-oriented list of auto manufacturers. But the reason they are not so far out in front as they once were (and seem to be lagging) is because the rest of the industry is rapidly catching up. Today, unlike decades ago, safety sells.
To an extent yes, but neither Mercedes nor Volvo are the clear safety leaders they once were.