Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Volvo moves away from 'premium' image

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Post Report: Volvo moves away from 'premium' image

Volvo should no longer be lumped into the premium category, according to the wishes of CEO Stefan Jacoby. It's not that the cars aren't good, but according to Autocar, Jacoby thinks it sends the wrong message. "It sounds like a pricing strategy, and it's got an expensive ring to it," he tells the UK pub. Having recently come to Volvo from a tenure as CEO of Volkswagen's American operation, Jacoby has no illusions about where his new brand sits. This latest statement dovetails with an earlier assertion of his that it's too early for Volvo to consider gunning for the BMW 7 Series or Mercedes S-Class, directly contradicting Li Shufu, chairman of new owner Geely.

Rather than put on airs, Jacoby wants Volvo to emphasize its unique Swedishness to stand apart from the herd. Going after the territory well-covered by the German juggernauts hasn't set Volvo's sales off in search of the 800,000 units per year Jacoby wants to be shifting come 2020, which lends a certain credence to the new strategy.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/29/r...premium-image/

Old 11-29-10, 01:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Volvo needs to cost like an Acura, or less than a Lexus.

Right now, they're priced like a Bimmer, which is more than a Lexus...
Old 11-29-10, 01:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wise strategy for Volvo to adopt. They need to be unique, as in very Swedish, and not be priced like a luxury brand.
Old 11-29-10, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Going after the territory well-covered by the German juggernauts hasn't set Volvo's sales off in search of the 800,000 units per year Jacoby wants to be shifting come 2020, which lends a certain credence to the new strategy.
That, right there, is part of the problem. CEOs and marketers need to stop pulling numbers out of a hat, dictating those figures to their managers and employees, and acting like it's sink-or-swim if they don't reach that goal. One thing that time has taught, in the automotive marketplace, is that cars will sell themselves if you design them right, build them right, and satisfy your customers. Perhaps, over time, this practice has worked for Honda more than for any other company. Hondas, because of their superb quality, continue to sell in spite of their sometimes laughable styling.

Volvo should no longer be lumped into the premium category, according to the wishes of CEO Stefan Jacoby.
In the end, though, it won't be his wishes, but the determination of customers, that will determine that.

Right now, in the U.S., though the image is (admittedly) somewhat unfair (as most automotive "images" are), Volvos tend to still be perceived as stodgy, super-safe cars driven primarily by schoolteachers and librarians. The BMW 3-series, for example, in the U.S., trounced the Volvo R-line of sport-sedans in sales. Personally, I only know of one person who has ever actually bought a Volvo R-series product, brand-new....and that was a handicapped person who was very concerned with safety, but still wanted a sport-oriented car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 01:39 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think it is a good angle for them but the article doesn't specify how they will address this... will they bring prices down form a premium level or will it simply be in how they market the brand? i.e. de-emphasize luxury and push Swedish design.

It seems the middle tier is truly the most message conscious segment with Lincoln pushing technology with their "Smart luxury" message, Cadillac - American luxury with it's "Life, Liberty and The Pursuit" message, Infiniti stressing Japanese performance luxury - "Inspired Performance", and Acura stressing... what was it last we heard?

Last edited by speedflex; 11-29-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 01:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex

It seems the middle tier is truly the most message conscious segment with Lincoln pushing technology with their "Smart luxury" message, Cadillac - American luxury with it's "Life, Liberty and The Pursuit" message, Infiniti stressing Japanese performance luxury - "Inspired Performance", and Acura stressing... what was it last we heard?
I agree, and I think that is because the near-luxury brands cannot sell on name or prestige or reputation alone. That is why they are so message conscious, and we have seen some examples of a few brands being desperate and continually changing their message. A certain unicorn brand comes to mind.

A lot of the big luxury brands also have a message, but they don't stress it that much or put so much emphasis on it as the near-luxury brands do.
Old 11-29-10, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex

It seems the middle tier is truly the most message conscious segment with Lincoln pushing technology with their "Smart luxury" message,
Lincoln also uses the "Travel Well" theme.

and Acura stressing... what was it last we heard?
They made their mark with the "Precision-Crafted-Performance" theme, but that was some time ago.

Lexus, I thought, had one of the best themes with "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection". And that, indeed, served them well, until they started cutting back on some of their interior and sheet-metal quality in the last 5-6 years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 02:08 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

As far as I can tell Acura's brand message is simply "Advance" (which doesn't really say much of anything).
Old 11-29-10, 02:31 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

dunno bout what peoplel expect to pay for luxury, but after seeing what kia and hyundai are offering at their price points, i don't even bother to look at mercedes, bmw and sometimes even lexus when I look for price to value.

you'd have to pay 3x as much for an equivalent benz or bmw and that's about where the branding appeal ends. I didn't even bother to look at the benz and bmw dealerships this time at the LA car show, sure they are great designs with bigger and bigger engines, but the prices keeps increasing as well.
Old 11-30-10, 06:39 AM
LexFather

These near luxury brands are being squeezed from all sides. Its not just the luxury brands eating them alive its cars like the Genesis, Taurus, Avalon, Maxima etc etc that are seen equivilents or better though they lack the badge.

That is the danger of not having a damn clue and not investing to make your brand worth a damn where the BADGE and PRESTIGE are respected and people rather buy the brand and be associated with it than having a possibly better car.

I can't think of too many times people have asked me about Volvo. It rarely is mentioned. Their best received product all these years has been the big SUV they sell. They need to find a retro boxy theme and realize the curves HAVE NOT WORKED.

To complicate matters in the past Volvo was seen as the safety leader. It was their Ace. Today not so much, everyone is safe and Volvo doesn't lead here anymore.

They are in trouble, said it years ago.

Old 11-30-10, 06:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
These near luxury brands are being squeezed from all sides. Its not just the luxury brands eating them alive its cars like the Genesis, Taurus, Avalon, Maxima etc etc that are seen equivilents or better though they lack the badge.

That is the danger of not having a damn clue and not investing to make your brand worth a damn where the BADGE and PRESTIGE are respected and people rather buy the brand and be associated with it than having a possibly better car.

I can't think of too many times people have asked me about Volvo. It rarely is mentioned. Their best received product all these years has been the big SUV they sell. They need to find a retro boxy theme and realize the curves HAVE NOT WORKED.

To complicate matters in the past Volvo was seen as the safety leader. It was their Ace. Today not so much, everyone is safe and Volvo doesn't lead here anymore.

They are in trouble, said it years ago.
Exactly.

Many of these near-luxury brands are lost, and don't seem to have a clue as to the fact they need a clear brand and image.

I agree the curvy styling on new Volvos is a flop. They need to go back to more distinct Swedish styling.

They've also dropped the ball as safety leaders. They stopped innovating so they are no longer safety leaders.
Old 11-30-10, 06:52 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never really saw Volvo as a premium brand when thinking of "luxury" or premium vehicles. Maybe it was Ford's ownership, but I just always saw it as super engineered, but overpriced, vanilla "mailbox" cars. Surely not worth the premium pricing that Volvo was asking.
Old 11-30-10, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I agree the curvy styling on new Volvos is a flop. They need to go back to more distinct Swedish styling.
.............meaning the old cubical/shoe-box designs before the late-1990's

While I (admittedly) tend to be somewhat conservative in auto styling myself, those old Volvo designs were about as stodgy as one can get....even by my tastes. Those shoe-box vehicles were one reason why the marque got its schoolteacher/librarian image.

They've also dropped the ball as safety leaders. They stopped innovating so they are no longer safety leaders.
Volvo and Mercedes, for the most part, still lead the safety-oriented list of auto manufacturers. But the reason they are not so far out in front as they once were (and seem to be lagging) is because the rest of the industry is rapidly catching up. Today, unlike decades ago, safety sells.
Old 11-30-10, 01:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some better cars for a change will be what really makes a difference at Volvo, despite what the CEO drones on about.
Old 11-30-10, 01:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. These near luxury offerings are always better values than similar cars with "luxury" badges on them. Like Saab, nobody desires a Volvo. That's a big problem. At least with Acura you know you're getting top notch quality, if nothing else. With Volvo, you don't even get that.

True. Just about every car is safe now. Especially anything mid-size and larger. I feel sorry for people who still buy a Volvo because they think is easily the most safe car. Sure they are among the safest, but it's no reason to buy it for that one reason. Lexus and Acura are just as safe.

Quick Reply: Report: Volvo moves away from 'premium' image