Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wait a minute? You cannot pump your own gas in NJ (or Oregon)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10 | 08:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

NJ FTMFW! Lol
Old 11-30-10 | 08:43 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

As Mr. Gill says, "The consumer is thinking, 'I have low prices and I don't have to get out of my car. New Jersey is heaven!'"
I'm from Boston, this makes me giggle.

I'm glad I rarely travel in or through NJ, I wouldn't want anyone topping my fuel off, dripping, scratching, putting the wrong octane, etc.

I can understand some people feel privileged and/or don't know how to do it but seriously it's not that hard and are you that lazy? It should at least be an option. Some pumps in MA (at least I think so?) still offer full service pumps that sometimes cost more or cost the same as self-serve pumps. If I have to drive through NJ and need to buy gas, I'd rather not have to let someone pump my gas.
Old 11-30-10 | 08:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Classic Jersey thing. One reason we can't pump our own gas is because of insurance reasons. But I had to when I lived in Colorado. It wasn't bad except for the 85 octane they sell out there

NJ obviously enjoys its status as a 'can't pump your own' state. You can find t-shirts like this in Wal-mart.
Attached Thumbnails Wait a minute? You cannot pump your own gas in NJ (or Oregon)?-jersey_girls_dpg_pink_with_purple_text.jpg  
Old 11-30-10 | 09:16 AM
RXSF

In Cali, we used to have certain lanes for Full service and then some for Self service and the Full service would be a good 10 cents more expensive per gallon.
Old 11-30-10 | 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Like washing/polishing and cleaning my car (and sometimes doing some minor service-work), I'd much rather pump my own gas than leave it to someone else....sometimes a total stranger. That way, I can be reasonably sure I will select the proper gas-octane (or diesel fuel), won't bang/chip the paint-job with the gas-nozzle, won't leave scratches around the filler-door, won't dribble or leak gas down the side of the fender, and won't forget to screw the gas-cap back on or close the fuel-filler-door.

There's an old saying............if you want something done right, you (sometimes) just have to do it yourself.
Old 11-30-10 | 11:11 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

This appears to be the case in Canada too, I was always surprised that their gas stations have attendents. I haven't seen a full service station in California since I was a kid.
Old 11-30-10 | 11:25 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I learned to pump gas when I was around 10 years old, and I've never seen a gas attendant.

I think its' absurd that that is an actual law.
Old 11-30-10 | 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Gas stations also (probably) do it to cut costs. With self-service, you can often operate the station with fewer employees. Once in a while, a station employee may (?) have to step outside to assist a handicapped driver, but that's more the exception than the rule.
Old 11-30-10 | 12:04 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

We have a full serve Shell station just off I-96 in Howell, MI with attractive girls who pump gas. I think their business goes up in the summer when they wear shorts and t-shirts. BTW, they have no problem with me pumping my own gas.
Old 11-30-10 | 01:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
We have a full serve Shell station just off I-96 in Howell, MI with attractive girls who pump gas. I think their business goes up in the summer when they wear shorts and t-shirts. BTW, they have no problem with me pumping my own gas.
Fun to watch I'm sure, even when doing own refueling. Hooters meets Shell.
Old 11-30-10 | 01:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

When we drove into Oregon, I thought it really weird. Just accustomed to doing the routine myself.

Japan it was similar...the attendants fill the gas and do the usual on the car glass and any other simple service you may request/pay for. Was amusing to pull into to one station and see the gal wearing coveralls pumping gas. Pretty cute too. from the Mrs.
Old 11-30-10 | 02:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd much rather pump my own gas than leave it to someone else....sometimes a total stranger. That way, I can be reasonably sure I will select the proper gas-octane (or diesel fuel), won't bang/chip the paint-job with the gas-nozzle, won't leave scratches around the filler-door, won't dribble or leak gas down the side of the fender, and won't forget to screw the gas-cap back on or close the fuel-filler-door.

There's an old saying............if you want something done right, you (sometimes) just have to do it yourself.
When I pull in a station for gas,I usually step out of the car and then take my wallet out with the credit card so the attendant is aware I'm watching.
My local /shell where I buy most of my gas knows how I am so I'm ok there.
Old 11-30-10 | 07:26 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Okay... I can say that I've had it about 50/50 now from both sides. When I was living in NY during my younger days, I didn't mind pumping my own gas because of the whole "I have ultimate power" of what goes into my car. I won't scratch the car, I won't spill fuel, I won't over fill...etc. I did it for about 13 years.

Then I moved to NJ about 10 years when I got married and have had the jockeys do the pumping and in probably hundreds of different stations and who knows how many jockeys... everything I feared has never occurred. The nozzle has never hit my car, fuel has never spewed out like the Niagara Falls, they top off, but nowadays to the nearest dollar is like what... 1/6 gallon?

In a cold, wet, freezing day... I'll take the attendant and a closed window any day. Plus $2.89 for 93 fuel to boot ain't bad either.
Old 11-30-10 | 07:56 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

i like it but not feelin so comfortable when givin my cc to strangers,,
Old 11-30-10 | 09:19 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

When i was in NJ a year or so ago i pumped my own gas like 5 times and nobody ever told me i couldnt do it. Hmm oh well, i did however have one of my cousins slap my cell phone out of my hand while i was trying to make a call lol, i got ready to punch him in the mouth when he told me its a nice 500 dollar fine or something.

Quick Reply: Wait a minute? You cannot pump your own gas in NJ (or Oregon)?