Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes are tops in China's consumer complaint ranking list

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 07:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi, BMW, Mercedes are tops in China's consumer complaint ranking list

Audi A6L first in luxury car complaint ranking list

By Amanda Zheng From Gasgoo.com November 26, 2010

Shanghai November 26 (Gasgoo.com) The Audi A6L was ranked first in the "luxury car complaint ranking list" conducted by China Securities Journal and the car complaints network (vehicle 3.15) during November 18-24. Other luxury cars that made the list include the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Subaru forester and Jeep Compass, etc..

Shanghai Securities News reported that the Audi A6L had a total of 27 complaint cases during the period with focus on the gearbox, pumps, headlights, insufficient engine oil and other core problems. While up until now, Audi has not yet addressed these problems or issued a recall. The luxury brand sold 150,000 vehicles in the Chinese market in 2009, and is expected to break the 200,000 sales mark this year.

Moreover, the Volvo S Series kicked the Mercedes-Benz S-class out of the top ten with 16 complaints; Great Wall Motors, with 251 complaint cases, surpassed Dongfeng Nissan’s 249 complaints to come in sixth place.

Great Wall Motor got 17 more complaint cases than it did last time due to a slew of quality issues with its Teng Yi C30 car, such as reduction of components, air conditioning and refrigeration problems, occurrence of abnormal sound/shaking ( when the engine is cold), and other common problems.

Below is the "top ten luxury car complaint ranking list" conducted during November 18-24:

1. Audi A6L 27
2. BMW 5 Series 23
3. Audi A4L 20
4. Mercedes-Benz C-Class 19
5. Jeep Compass 18
6. BMW 3 Series 17
7. Mercedes-Benz E-Class 16
8. Volvo S Series 16
9. Crown 15
10. Subaru forester 14

Additionally, Changan Ford, which received 626 complaint cases between November 18th and 24th, took first place on the "top 10 automaker complaint ranking list", followed by Shanghai GM with 459, Geely Auto with 443, Shanghai VW with 409, FAW VW with 336, Great Wall Motor with 251, Dongfeng Nissan with 249, Chery Auto with 233, Souteast Motor with 228 and FAW Toyota with 206.
http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china-new...s-101126.shtml
Old 11-30-10, 07:35 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A6 receives the most complaint is not surprising, as it is the official government vehicle

Almost every black A6 with tinted windows in China has military plates.
Old 11-30-10, 07:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised at all, expected rankings for the most part.
Old 11-30-10, 08:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I could have reported this with my psychic abilities.

(or anyone who knows anything about cars).
Old 11-30-10, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

though they continue to get these brands for the "status"
Old 11-30-10, 10:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mercedes S-classes are quite popular in China and sought after. Premium cars in China as well in the western world come at a cost (and cost includes more than just original purchase price).
Old 11-30-10, 10:41 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
though they continue to get these brands for the "status"
I understand the virtues that develop status, but I seriously don't get why quality/reliability doesn't need to go hand and hand with status.

To me, doesn't a status symbol usually equate to being the best? IMO, you can't be the "best" if you're plagued with problems as German cars have been for decades. I don't care how it drives if I can't drive it trouble free.

People still place Mercedes and BMW above Lexus in terms of pure status, which leads me to believe that the perception of status is flawed. Seems like a long history is valued over what is actually the best.

Then again, status is often simply equated to what is the most expensive, which is partly why the Germans lead in this category. A Rolex holds the best status among watches but it doesn't necessarily hold the best time.
Old 11-30-10, 10:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess to get a real comparison we will have to know how many cars were sold in China by brand.
Do I still place Mercedes and BMW above Lexus? Truthfully, I must say yes. But Lexus is not far behind. I just feel Lexus don't offer enough high premium cars especially coupes. I have been trying my best to keep it on the low but I recently just last week purchase a CL550 with the AMG package of course. But Lexus has nothing in their lineup for me to cross shop with this car.
Back on topic: We need the numbers before we pass judgment.
Old 11-30-10, 11:22 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I surely hope that report corrected for the differences in production and volume.
Old 11-30-10, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Quality doesn't matter. Badge matters. They have worked hard on their image and people want it.

More power to them for selling well and people willing to overlook quality to have the brand.

Old 11-30-10, 12:32 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

...insufficient engine oil...

This is a complaint?

I guess owners forgot to purchase the optional "automatic-oil-tank-fill-up" system. Good thing Lexus cars come standard with this feature.
Old 11-30-10, 01:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV

This is a complaint?

I guess owners forgot to purchase the optional "automatic-oil-tank-fill-up" system. Good thing Lexus cars come standard with this feature.
The article doesn't explain what is meant by this but I imagine it's due to leaking or oil burning, not the level that it came with from the factory.

Your oil level shouldn't go down between oil changes (except for an immeasurable minuscule amount).
Old 11-30-10, 04:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

this doesn't surprise me. image is everything, even if the car malfunctions often. keeping and maintaining those vehicles are no problem for political figures, as the government will almost always foot the bill for repairs and maintenance.
Old 11-30-10, 04:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV

This is a complaint?

As JPL pointed out, why would there be insufficient engine oil in the first place?

That's not normal, thus, it is a valid complaint. The oil should remain at a sufficient level at all times between oil changes. If it doesn't, then there is obviously a problem such as leaking or burning oil.
Old 11-30-10, 04:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I understand the virtues that develop status, but I seriously don't get why quality/reliability doesn't need to go hand and hand with status.

To me, doesn't a status symbol usually equate to being the best? IMO, you can't be the "best" if you're plagued with problems as German cars have been for decades. I don't care how it drives if I can't drive it trouble free.

People still place Mercedes and BMW above Lexus in terms of pure status, which leads me to believe that the perception of status is flawed. Seems like a long history is valued over what is actually the best.

Then again, status is often simply equated to what is the most expensive, which is partly why the Germans lead in this category. A Rolex holds the best status among watches but it doesn't necessarily hold the best time.
well that will be the logical way to think about it, that's why a lot of us here have lexus. but i have to admit that mb and bmw they do carry a lot more prestige and status in a lot of people's eyes. i am not debating whether that's "right" or "wrong", but that's how it is in a lot of countries

Quick Reply: Audi, BMW, Mercedes are tops in China's consumer complaint ranking list