Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 11:58 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think everyone is confused by what GM is saying

That was from a press release written for the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, where the Volt concept was unveiled. A release from the day of the production prototype's reveal reads, "a gasoline/E85-powered engine generator seamlessly provides electricity to power the Volt's electric drive unit while simultaneously sustaining the charge of the battery." And by "sustaining" GM says that it means only that no additional power is drained from the batteries. Get it?
but my take on it is that the engine will still be providing electricity only to the electric motors as that is the only mean of propulsion on the car

and what it means is that you cannot charge the battery from 0% to 10% while driving because all of the electricity produced from the engine are going to powering the electric motors, no excess is going to the batteries
but maybe batteries are still needed as they are acting as capacitors in this case
or maybe there are some capacitors with the batteries as well

which is fine
Bob Lutz was not lying and it is what i expected all along
Old 09-24-08, 12:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

So what you're saying is, The engine will provide the power for the electric motors to run? If that's the case, I rather have that power directly to the ground. There will most likely be more loss in efficiency converting mechanical power to electrical power than it is to use the mechanical to power the wheels. Cut the middle man out.
Old 09-24-08, 12:26 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
So what you're saying is, The engine will provide the power for the electric motors to run? If that's the case, I rather have that power directly to the ground. There will most likely be more loss in efficiency converting mechanical power to electrical power than it is to use the mechanical to power the wheels. Cut the middle man out.
no because you can have a small 2 cyl gas or whatever engine running a generator at a single speed rather than a whatever cylinder vehicle using the engine to drive the car traditionally
Old 09-24-08, 12:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Correct, but how efficient is the system when its all said and done? The generator must be large enough to supply power to the motor for constant running. But we all know the load on the motors will constantly change depending on how we drive. The generator's output must exceed the electric motor's demand otherwise you'd run out of steam eventually. Something tells me the generator will be more than adequate, yet why not reroute the extra power to the batteries to recharge? Or maybe it's not single speed afterall...perhaps the generator's output is directly related to the electric motor's demand? So many questions!
Old 09-24-08, 12:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UberNoob
and what it means is that you cannot charge the battery from 0% to 10% while driving because all of the electricity produced from the engine are going to powering the electric motors, no excess is going to the batteries
but maybe batteries are still needed as they are acting as capacitors in this case
or maybe there are some capacitors with the batteries as well

which is fine
Bob Lutz was not lying and it is what i expected all along
But Toyota hybrid utilize their gas engines to both charge the battery (if need should arise) and move the car...at the same time.
Old 09-24-08, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
But Toyota hybrid utilize their gas engines to both charge the battery (if need should arise) and move the car...at the same time.
With greater complexity, greater cost, huge battery pack, complex transmission, etc., etc.

The Volt and a Prius are NOT the same, and we should stop comparing them.

The Prius needs gas almost ALL the time (except 0-5mph or something in some circumstances, big deal).

But like all things GM, it brings the usual hoard of critics, no matter how good or innovative.

ZR1? Not good enough. Cadillac CTS? Not good enough. Chevy Malibu? Not good enough. Tahoe Hybrid? Not good enough.

So for some it will NEVER be good enough.
Old 09-24-08, 01:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With greater complexity, greater cost, huge battery pack, complex transmission, etc., etc.

The Volt and a Prius are NOT the same, and we should stop comparing them.
I disagree. The market will be comparing the two as will the buyers.
Old 09-24-08, 01:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I disagree. The market will be comparing the two as will the buyers.
You can compare apples and oranges too but that doesn't mean they're similar.

But sure, consumers will compare them, and each fits a different set of preferences.

For me I'd much rather have a vehicle that uses ZERO oil/gasoline for 90% of my trips.

But if that's not the case for you or you just wouldn't that's up to you.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-24-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 02:13 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why the "Chevy Volt Battery Does Not Recharge While Driving" thread is merged with "Official 2011 Chevy Volt Pics" thread.

This is stupid.

Old 09-24-08, 02:15 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
I don't understand why the "Chevy Volt Battery Does Not Recharge While Driving" thread is merged with "Official 2011 Chevy Volt Pics" thread.

This is stupid.

agreed im lost now

Wow, first they kill the cool concept and now they can't charge the battery after 40 miles. What a crock. I gave GM too much credit. Prius v3.5 (plug in) for me, once again Toyota is eating GM's cake.

Last edited by toy4two; 09-24-08 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 02:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

We didn't need a bunch of Volt threads. Title changed. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-24-08, 02:42 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
We didn't need a bunch of Volt threads. Title changed. Thanks for your feedback.
Uh huh...

If that's the policy then from now on I expect to see this kind of actions on every other model of cars, not just the Volt.
Old 09-24-08, 02:45 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

lets not be so harsh to the mods
it was moved because similar thread content were being discussed in both threads thus making it logical to combine both threads

but if there are 2 threads with same car but totally different contents inside then maybe they need to stay 2 separate threads

anyways
for this, im with bitkahuna

lets bash GM instead
Old 09-24-08, 05:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Correct, but how efficient is the system when its all said and done? The generator must be large enough to supply power to the motor for constant running. But we all know the load on the motors will constantly change depending on how we drive. The generator's output must exceed the electric motor's demand otherwise you'd run out of steam eventually. Something tells me the generator will be more than adequate, yet why not reroute the extra power to the batteries to recharge? Or maybe it's not single speed afterall...perhaps the generator's output is directly related to the electric motor's demand? So many questions!
how efficient?

If Volt isnt re-using its batteries like an hybrid, it means that when out of initial electricity, it will get worse mileage then other 1.4l cars - why worse? Becuase it will be a lot heavier than them - some 400-500lbs heavier.

Meaning - it will get mileage and performance similar to Avalon powered with 1.4l engine.
Old 09-24-08, 06:04 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

GM flaunting the Volt, says the Prius is a "stripped down Corolla"

(grabs popcorn)

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- Given the prolonged drum roll of publicity that accompanied the unveiling of the Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle last week, it isn't surprising that any number of onlookers got caught up in the enthusiasm. When people begin referring to it as a "game changer" and a "paradigm shift," it's time to inject a bracing dose of reality.

To put the Volt in perspective, it is an expensive, low-volume automobile that will have no visible impact on GM's market share, CAFÉ average or profitability. One cynic calls it "a Viper for tree huggers."

Start with the sales numbers. The best available estimates are that the Volt will sell for around $40,000 and that production volume will be in the "tens of thousands." That gives it more in common with a Cadillac sedan than a Chevy Cobalt. Nor will the Volt make any money. GM (GM, Fortune 500) executives concede that, given the cost of development, the first generation of Volt vehicles will not be profitable. This project isn't going to turn GM into a money spinner.

Second, although GM revealed what the Volt will look like last week, the car is far from ready for production. Developing the advanced lithium-ion batteries required to power the Volt and getting them ready for production is an enormous undertaking. No one has ever built auto-sized batteries of this description in significant quantities. Worse, GM has yet to sign a contract with whomever it is will supply the batteries. GM has promised to get the Volt into showrooms by November 2010, but it could be many months after that before significant numbers are available.

Even if GM can meet its deadlines and the Volt turns out to be a huge success, it isn't going to matter to most people. At best, it will become a second or third car in the garages of the affluent. Yes, it is designed to go 40 miles to a charge of electricity. But it won't be economical for long trips after the batteries lose their charge, because it will be hauling around hundreds of pounds of excess weight in those non-productive batteries, and its performance is lousy - zero to 60 miles per hour in around nine seconds. Most cars in the $40,000 class get to 60 in well under eight seconds.

If you want a car for everyday use that scrimps on gasoline, Toyota (TM) can sell you a very nice Prius based on proven technology that costs a lot less. To be sure, the Volt will look more upscale and include nifty technology features like a liquid crystal instrument panel that the driver can configure for himself. Sniffed a GM spokesperson: "The Prius is a stripped-down Corolla. The Volt is drastically different. Just compare the interior." Still, the price difference between a $40,000 Volt and a $25,000 Prius will cover a lot of operating expenses.

So why is GM lavishing so many scarce resources on a rather impractical vehicle? Its original plans to make fuel cell cars the avatar of its technology appear to have foundered on a variety of problems, including infrastructure for hydrogen refueling. It is hoping the Volt will help it regain bragging rights from Toyota. Mike Jackson, CEO of Autonation (AN, Fortune 500), the largest chain of car dealerships, is a fan of Volt. He calls it "a very compelling environmental and technology statement." But he adds: "Profit generator? No way. It is a sure loser. You will have to charge the losses to the corporate image campaign."

So give GM credit for taking the plunge with unproven technology that may actually help the environment and reduce gasoline consumption. And wish the automaker well as it starts its second century having dug a very deep hole for itself in North America. But keep the Volt in perspective. Except for its celebrity appeal, the Volt is about as relevant to the survival of GM, much less the world, as Paris Hilton is to the future of Western civilization.

Quick Reply: EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined