Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 09:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Well it must kick in earlier than that. Unless the gas engine can charge the batteries that quickly.
Well no matter what I think that 40 miles will vary. If youre doing 90 MPH it could only last 20 miles before the gasoline engine kicks in. If youre doing 25 MPH it could 60 miles before the gasoline engine kicks in. I always took the 40 miles figure as a general estimate.

Im wondering since its a serial hybrid if the power fromt he gas engine has to go to the battery or can it bypass it and go straight to the electric motors. Im no electrical engineer.
Old 09-09-08, 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
It's a very peculiar situation but I doubt I would want to try one of these going up to Tahoe from the Bay Area. A long slug of uphill driving into the Sierras wouldn't make me feel very comfortable.
But that's not really the target use for the car. This is for short commuter trips and errands and other light use, not mountain climbing or lugging lots of stuff.

I think GM needs to get this car out ASAP.
Old 09-09-08, 09:29 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Thats a blatant ripoff of Acura headlights
Old 09-09-08, 10:57 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But that's not really the target use for the car. This is for short commuter trips and errands and other light use, not mountain climbing or lugging lots of stuff.

I think GM needs to get this car out ASAP.
Have to agree. Everything is saying city car to me. And not the slightest bit interesting in design beyond the powertrain.

Two years. Ugh.
Old 09-10-08, 04:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree. Everything is saying city car to me. And not the slightest bit interesting in design beyond the powertrain.

Two years. Ugh.
Keep in mind, the original estimates were that the Volt would have a range of about 600-700 miles, starting with a full charge and a full tank. Don't know if those estimates have changed.
Old 09-10-08, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Keep in mind, the original estimates were that the Volt would have a range of about 600-700 miles, starting with a full charge and a full tank. Don't know if those estimates have changed.
yes, it is around 300-400 miles now I believe...
Old 09-10-08, 04:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Well no matter what I think that 40 miles will vary. If youre doing 90 MPH it could only last 20 miles before the gasoline engine kicks in. If youre doing 25 MPH it could 60 miles before the gasoline engine kicks in. I always took the 40 miles figure as a general estimate.

Im wondering since its a serial hybrid if the power fromt he gas engine has to go to the battery or can it bypass it and go straight to the electric motors. Im no electrical engineer.
I am pretty sure 40 miles is the best possible, thats why it is advertised.

Problem is what happens if you get stuck in rush hour traffic and you bought the car believeing you will tripple your mpg, and you only increase it by 40%?

It will be 30k-40k car...
Old 09-10-08, 04:06 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am pretty sure 40 miles is the best possible, thats why it is advertised.

Problem is what happens if you get stuck in rush hour traffic and you bought the car believeing you will tripple your mpg, and you only increase it by 40%?

It will be 30k-40k car...
Isn't that what is GM is touting?

What about people who live in area with hills, won't that 40 miles be compromised with hills, and the gas engine will have to start to engage, or will they still claim 40 miles under any circumstances?

We still have to wait till the EPA measures this under their testing methods to figure out if this will get those numbers
Old 09-10-08, 05:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Somebody is getting confused here. My understanding is that the Volt is an electric vehicle, period. The gas engine cannot be used to move the car, it is only used to recharge the batteries which are the only way the thing moves. The original article which granted is still talking about something two years off is saying that the thing can be fully recharged in 10 hours on 115VAC, less on 208. I don't know how smart GM is making it but if you are draining the batteries faster than the gas engine can recharge, you eventually run out of electrons. Sorry for the comment about the long haul into the mountains as that may have confused some of you. Going into the Sierras from the bay area can have an hour of uphill, or more, which could run the batteries out if the gas engine can't keep up with the discharge. In normal driving in places where the drain won't be anywhere near as bad, with stop and go to allow regenerative recharge as well as gasoline engine recharge, I assume GM is saying everything will be fine. Going to have to wait two years to find out what the real specs are going to be. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 09-10-08, 06:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I think we have to have faith that GM will factor every possible condition and have a powertrain that will handle what a sedan is supposed to be able to handle (within reason).

This means that even in unusual hilly areas and such, the recharging system will be designed to handle such a condition. Remember, this car supposedly will have a 3-cylinder gas motor which is very capable of generating a lot of recharge power (plenty of cars in the past have been built with 3-bangers that fully powered a car eg. Geo Metro).
Old 09-10-08, 07:36 PM
xioix
Racer

Somebody is getting confused here. My understanding is that the Volt is an electric vehicle, period. The gas engine cannot be used to move the car, it is only used to recharge the batteries which are the only way the thing moves. The original article which granted is still talking about something two years off is saying that the thing can be fully recharged in 10 hours on 115VAC, less on 208. I don't know how smart GM is making it but if you are draining the batteries faster than the gas engine can recharge, you eventually run out of electrons. Sorry for the comment about the long haul into the mountains as that may have confused some of you. Going into the Sierras from the bay area can have an hour of uphill, or more, which could run the batteries out if the gas engine can't keep up with the discharge. In normal driving in places where the drain won't be anywhere near as bad, with stop and go to allow regenerative recharge as well as gasoline engine recharge, I assume GM is saying everything will be fine. Going to have to wait two years to find out what the real specs are going to be. Of course, your mileage may vary.
It will be a hybrid, but with 40 miles of driving on electric power itself before it needs to be recharged
Old 09-10-08, 07:54 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by xioix
It will be a hybrid, but with 40 miles of driving on electric power itself before it needs to be recharged
Not a true hybrid in the sense though as the gas engine does not power the wheels.
Old 09-10-08, 07:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Environmental Protection Agency is considering altering the way it determines mileage figures for hybrid vehicles which could ultimately result in much higher mileage figures being awarded to hybrids. Currently, the EPA test cycle involves city and highway driving, as well as speed runs and air conditioning loads. The Chevrolet Volt hybrid currently achieves figures higher than around 100mpg on these tests, thanks to its 40-mile electric-only range and the fact that its internal combustion engine is only used around 15% of the time for the EPA test.

But now the agency wants to change the requirements of the test drastically - the new proposal would require hybrid cars] that are tested to be kept at close to full charge, meaning that effectively their electric-only range is eliminated, reports MotorTrend.

The proposal would have far reaching effects on upcoming hybrid vehicles and plug-ins, and while it would be a more accurate measurement for long driving distances, it would provide a skewed result for short-distance commuters. For example, under the new system the Chevrolet Volt would achieve under 50mpg, despite the fact that many Volt purchasers would travel less than 40 miles per day and would thus only ever use the electric engine.

While the EPA is not yet fully committed to the proposal it comes as worrying news to GM, which may end up having to mount a new marketing campaign advertising the ‘true’ abilities of the Volt. The Volt will certainly not be the only hybrid affected either, with vehicles from every manufacturer set to experience falls in mileage figures if the new certification goes ahead.
Old 09-10-08, 08:24 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Koma
Not a true hybrid in the sense though as the gas engine does not power the wheels.
Are you sure about that? I thought I remember reading it was like the Prius, just with a larger range on electric mode
Old 09-10-08, 08:33 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by xioix
Are you sure about that? I thought I remember reading it was like the Prius, just with a larger range on electric mode
I'm almost definite, there are some quotes in this thread to articles stating it's an electric vehicle with a gas engine to charge the batteries when the electric charge is close to depletion.

Quick Reply: EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined