Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 09:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was expecting this to be dissapointing compared to the concept ... and there you have it.

It looks ... just like a Civic, the front end especially. The rear end is quite ugly, and I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned how SMALL the interior is. This car will have quite a bit less interior space than the current Prius, and even less space than the upcoming Gen-3 Prius.

With 4 people in the car, not only will it be cramped, but luggage/cargo space will be extremely limited. How is this any better than a 1st gen Honda Insight? Even with only 2 people in the Volt, luggage/interior space will be limited.

The interior looks very cool and futuristic I agree, but the interior has some practical problems. The center stack looks like will have a tremendous amount of glare and reflection, not to mention I seriously question the durability of such a touch sensitive system. I predict a lot of problems will result from that center stack.

Also, what will the actual cost be, and what will the fuel economy be when the electric power runs out? These are serious questions consumers will want to know, and are questions that GM will certainly wait until the last moment to answer.

Even with the gas engine turned on, the Prius achieves excellent fuel economy.
Old 09-17-08, 09:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like this car has been engineered, designed, finished, and will be brought to market all before the LF-A... and in a shorter time period
Old 09-17-08, 09:43 PM
LexFather

I like that!! Funny but I used to draw the blackout under the windows in my drawings.
LOVE the interior I LOVE THE INTERIOR!!!! So Apple like!! I love it.

Old 09-17-08, 09:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It seems like this car has been engineered, designed, finished, and will be brought to market all before the LF-A... and in a shorter time period
It seems like the LF-A jokes are starting to get a little old ...
Old 09-17-08, 09:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It seems like the LF-A jokes are starting to get a little old ...
The LF-A will have been around for 7 years by the time it's produced...that's kind of ridiculous. If GM can design and produce an electric car of this magnitude before Lexus can finish the LF-A then it deserves to be the butt of every joke
Old 09-17-08, 09:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like an aerodynamic pontiac Aztec
Old 09-17-08, 10:04 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

The interior has three color options, white, black and i believe green for the true hippies.

Why are people surprised that they changed the concept to this? Car companies have been doing this for years to generate interest and they always change the design, so why are you surprised now?

Heres a link to a vid of the interior. Also I believe bob lutz wants the "buttons" to be haptic feedback so people actually know when they hit the button. I think right now its just touch sensitive. Im buying one just so i can shut up about gas prices.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/16/v...volt-interior/
Old 09-18-08, 02:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The LF-A will have been around for 7 years by the time it's produced...that's kind of ridiculous. If GM can design and produce an electric car of this magnitude before Lexus can finish the LF-A then it deserves to be the butt of every joke
The original LS took 6-7 years from initial concept to production. Funny I don't hear that many jokes regarding the LS.

Also you're assuming that the Volt will arrive on time, will be reliable and will come with minimal problems. All very big assumptions.

Let's stick with the facts: LF-A concept was shown in 2005. Production LF-A is slated to come out in 2010/2011. That will be 5-6 year difference from concept to production, not 7 years. Volt concept was shown in 2007. Production car is supposed to come late 2010, but could easily be delayed until 2011.

We already know the Volt will be more expensive than the Prius, and we already know it will offer less interior room and cargo capacity.

Toyota with the LF-A is trying to compete directly with the world's best supercars on it's first try. Such an effort requires *at least* 5 to 6 years in terms of development.
Old 09-18-08, 03:24 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Exterior and interior of the Volt are miles better than any Prius.
Old 09-18-08, 03:25 PM
LexFather

I think we should compare this Volt that won't be sold for a couple years to the next Prius which debuts in January.

Old 09-18-08, 03:33 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

The primary purpose of the Volt will be as a commuter car back and forth from work. As such, rear seat room will not be a concern for most Volt buyers.

The Volt is truly a revolutionary vehicle, probably more revolutionary than the Prius. 40 miles before any gas is used, more than enough range for most people's work commutes.
Old 09-18-08, 04:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
The primary purpose of the Volt will be as a commuter car back and forth from work. As such, rear seat room will not be a concern for most Volt buyers.

The Volt is truly a revolutionary vehicle, probably more revolutionary than the Prius. 40 miles before any gas is used, more than enough range for most people's work commutes.
Huh? Rear seat room won't be a concern for commuters, in this day and age? Are you kidding? People now carpool more than ever, and yes it WILL be a concern. What about front seat comfort? I'm betting front seat dimensions are smaller than the current Prius, let alone the next-gen Prius. Using that logic, the Honda Insight should have been a huge hit since it's rear seat room was non-existent and luggage space was very limited. Even assuming rear seat space won't be a big deal, luggage/cargo space nonetheless will be limited.

There is no guarantee that the production car will fully have 40 mile electric range. That is GM's aim, but I'll believe it when there are real-world reports of a production Volt doing 40 miles on electric power.

You also have no idea what the price will be, but all indications say it will be an expensive car. If the car ends up being at 30K even with tax credits, people won't care about it's electric range as it will be too expensive compared to a Prius. Also one must consider whether people will be willing to plug-in every night. If you forget to plug-in, the next day the gas engine will sure be working hard.

What was revolutionary about the Prius was not just the technology itself, but the fact that the Prius was and still is available at such an affordable price.

The interior in terms of "looks cool" or futuristic, yes. In terms of actual quality, practicality, and durability? Hardly.

As for the exterior, debatable.
Old 09-18-08, 07:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

There's about 7 years difference between the design of these two cars.

7 years is forever in the car business, just take a look at some 2001's.

I don't think it's at all reasonable to compare them.
Old 09-18-08, 07:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I was expecting this to be dissapointing compared to the concept ... and there you have it.

It looks ... just like a Civic, the front end especially. The rear end is quite ugly, and I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned how SMALL the interior is. This car will have quite a bit less interior space than the current Prius, and even less space than the upcoming Gen-3 Prius.

With 4 people in the car, not only will it be cramped, but luggage/cargo space will be extremely limited. How is this any better than a 1st gen Honda Insight? Even with only 2 people in the Volt, luggage/interior space will be limited.

The interior looks very cool and futuristic I agree, but the interior has some practical problems. The center stack looks like will have a tremendous amount of glare and reflection, not to mention I seriously question the durability of such a touch sensitive system. I predict a lot of problems will result from that center stack.

Also, what will the actual cost be, and what will the fuel economy be when the electric power runs out? These are serious questions consumers will want to know, and are questions that GM will certainly wait until the last moment to answer.

Even with the gas engine turned on, the Prius achieves excellent fuel economy.
I posted this on page 2...
I forgot the exact source, but it is an accurate estimate

Originally Posted by JLSC4

Estimates:

@ 40 miles or less: not applicable – no fuel used

@ 60 miles: 150 mpg

@ 80 miles: 100 mpg
And GM states the compactness of the interior was deliberate as it gives the driver a sporty feel that they wanted to project with the car. They are clearly not trying to be a Prius copycat. And that is good. It's not as space practical but I think it works for what it is.
Old 09-18-08, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

The haterade in this thread is shocking if not surprising.

Some of you haters, has GM ever done anything you've been impressed by?

Quick Reply: EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined