Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 05:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The Volt and the Prius cannot be compared. The Prius runs on gasoline AND electricity, but MOSTLY gasoline. The ICE shuts off at very low speeds only, as in slow city driving. Contrary to popular belief, the Prius runs on gasoline *most* of the time. The electric motors in the prius run very rarely by themselves. Anyone that own a Prius can tell you that. The range of the prius with just the electric motors is something like 5 or 6 miles before the engine starts up to charge the batteries. All at low speeds only. On the highway, the Prius's ICE is running 100% of the time.

The Volt runs on electricity ONLY. it does not use a gasoline engine to power the car. At all speeds, the Volt is running on electricty only. It has no other option. The ICE onboard the Volt does nothing but charge the battery pack.

The Volt travels down the highway at 60, 70, 80 MPH on electricty only, at up to 40 miles at a time,(without the engine starting) which is something the Prius cannot do. With a full tank and a full charge the volt is said to get between 60 and 75 MPG, also, something the prius can't do.

The Volt is revolutionary because it's the first car of it's kind that runs 100% on electricity, and, is self charging.

You are wrong on every point you make.

- Prius can shut ICE at any speed, at any time. It happens almost every time you take foot of the gas pedal even at 100 mph. It is big part of the gas savings.
- Prius can only go up to 2 miles (or less) on electricity alone. Prius has 1.3 kw battery, Volt has 16kw battery. Thats huge difference. If Prius could go 5-6 miles on electricity, heh, that would be f. awesome.

Volt is going to burn petrol in order to turn its wheels when out of electricity. You can call it "self charging", i will just add that it burns fuel while it "self charges".

Volt is not first car that runs 100% on electricity - LOL. GM EV-1, RAV4 EV and countless others (including cars on the market right now, by small manufacturers).

And Volt, due to its design, will actually have lower mpg than current hybrids when out of electricity due to less effective drivetrain where ICE powers the batteries and batteries power motors (less efficient, more powerloss).

And of course, we are talking about Gen 2 Prius. Gen 3 Prius is coming out within half an year, 1.5 years before Volt, as well as other Toyota hybrids (including one using lithium ion batteries). It likely have bigger and more efficient batteries and better mpg. It wil also have plugin version, but so far, according to what Toyota officials say, they are looking at 8-10 miles effective range.

Volt is no more revolutionary than GS450h, LS600h, Tesla Roadster and similar cars. Volt changes nothing. Car that is going to be built in 30,000 examples in 2011, for 35k-40k, at loss, will not change pretty much anything.

Revolutionary would be to build vehicle for 20k-25k (Camry price, Camry interior size), which has space for family of 5, and effective electric range of 10-15 miles. Whoever does that, for that price, will have revolutionary vehicle on hand. That is the car that changes the industry.

According to experts, that wont happen at least until 2015, when batteries become affordable enough for that.
Old 09-20-08, 05:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
When a new anything is planned, some kind of production volume forecast has to be made. There's nothing saying that GM can't make more. They, nor you, nor anyone knows what actual demand will be.

You guys would probably still be critical if GM said they were going to make 300,000 in year one.
since GM is sourcing batteries from A123 and LG, there is certainly no way for them to get more whenever they want. Factories need to be build and huge investments need to be made. Otherwise Prius would not be in short supply right now.
Old 09-20-08, 05:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Production volume doesn't make something revolutionary. A Camry isn't revolutionary despite being produced in vast quantities.

No Toyota ISN'T. You keep trying to equate the Prius with the Volt but they're not the same. The Prius isn't a plug-in and can run on electricity alone for barely any distance.

But I'm know I'm wasting my typing to you, as Toyota can do no wrong and GM can do no right.
I have been following the industry for long time, especially when it comes to hybrids.

I remember when GM promised their hybrids in 2004 and then delayed to 2006 and then 2008. Now they make 1,000 per month. Remembering all their previous PR's, gives different perspective to what Volt is.

Volt and Prius and very similar vehicles. 3rd gen Prius will have plugin option, probably before Volt does. They will be directly comperable vehicles.

Funny thing is that both Volt and Prius, especially plugin versions, make a lot more sense in Europe where they sell a lot less than in USA. People here drive less miles per day and our electricity comes from cleaner sources. In USA, from enviromentalist perspective, plugins are not that better than normal petrol vehicles, because at nightime, almost all electricity in USA is powered by dirty coal because Nuclear and Hydro plants can be shut down when electricity is not needed and coal plants can not.

I am just saying that for something to be revolutionary, it has to be accessible by the masses, not elite. Hence it would have to be the car that replaces the Camry - the best selling car class in the USA (Accord, Malibu, etc).

But hey, I might be wrong. This might not be just PR from GM, they might be serious and they might change the world as we know it. Lets see what happens - in 26 months from now. I might be Toyota guy, but if GM builds revolutionary vehicle, I will be first to convert.
Old 09-20-08, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Volt and Prius and very similar vehicles. 3rd gen Prius will have plugin option, probably before Volt does. They will be directly comperable vehicles.
I think Toyota has already said the next gen Prius will not have Lithium Ion initially. That's LAME. I have no interest in a hybrid with heavy and huge NiMH batteries.

But hey, I might be wrong. This might not be just PR from GM, they might be serious and they might change the world as we know it. Lets see what happens - in 26 months from now. I might be Toyota guy, but if GM builds revolutionary vehicle, I will be first to convert.
Hey, I think it's pathetic that GM is doing so much PR on a vehicle that won't be available until more than 2 years from now so I'm not blindly supporting GM, I'm just saying we should wait and see a bit instead of just writing off the Volt.
Old 09-21-08, 07:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
You are wrong on every point you make.

- Prius can shut ICE at any speed, at any time. It happens almost every time you take foot of the gas pedal even at 100 mph. It is big part of the gas savings.
- Prius can only go up to 2 miles (or less) on electricity alone. Prius has 1.3 kw battery, Volt has 16kw battery. Thats huge difference. If Prius could go 5-6 miles on electricity, heh, that would be f. awesome.

Volt is going to burn petrol in order to turn its wheels when out of electricity. You can call it "self charging", i will just add that it burns fuel while it "self charges".

Volt is not first car that runs 100% on electricity - LOL. GM EV-1, RAV4 EV and countless others (including cars on the market right now, by small manufacturers).

And Volt, due to its design, will actually have lower mpg than current hybrids when out of electricity due to less effective drivetrain where ICE powers the batteries and batteries power motors (less efficient, more powerloss).

And of course, we are talking about Gen 2 Prius. Gen 3 Prius is coming out within half an year, 1.5 years before Volt, as well as other Toyota hybrids (including one using lithium ion batteries). It likely have bigger and more efficient batteries and better mpg. It wil also have plugin version, but so far, according to what Toyota officials say, they are looking at 8-10 miles effective range.

Volt is no more revolutionary than GS450h, LS600h, Tesla Roadster and similar cars. Volt changes nothing. Car that is going to be built in 30,000 examples in 2011, for 35k-40k, at loss, will not change pretty much anything.

Revolutionary would be to build vehicle for 20k-25k (Camry price, Camry interior size), which has space for family of 5, and effective electric range of 10-15 miles. Whoever does that, for that price, will have revolutionary vehicle on hand. That is the car that changes the industry.

According to experts, that wont happen at least until 2015, when batteries become affordable enough for that.
It's automatically understood that the Prius shuts off the engine for coasting and braking, at any speed. That's not what I was saying, and you know that. The fact is, most people believe the Prius is mostly electric and that's not the case. The ICE is running most of the time "while powering the car".

Also, I never said the Volt was the first 100% electric car. My quote was "it's the first car of it's kind that runs 100% on electricity, and, is self charging." IOW, it is the first and only 100% electric car that is fully self sufficient, meaning, it never needs to be plugged in. The Prius never needs to be plugged in either, but it is also powered by its ICE.

Like you said, we know nothing of its real world numbers. We'll have to wait and see. However, I think a 3 cylinder engine, with its only load being a generator should be pretty fuel efficient, don't you?
Old 09-21-08, 08:10 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volt is no more revolutionary than the GS450h and LS600h??? LOL!

Right. How far do those cars go on zero gas? Zero miles. Volt will go 40.

Sounds pretty revolutionary to me.

One car offers owners the chance to use ZERO gas in their commutes. The other cars offer their owners a small increase in mileage and power for a very premium price.

The Tesla roadster could also be very revolutionary if they bring costs down and prove their reliability and availability since they're an unknown company with no real dealer network.

BTW... Volt isn't 26 months away.. its first (limited) release is in 15 months.
Old 09-21-08, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Good to hear. I think they need to do everything possible to accelerate that. I would seriously consider a Volt given that so many of my trips are less than 40 mi. round trip.
Old 09-21-08, 05:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you hear this? Last week, Bob Lutz himself said that NO ONE will get a Volt before November 2010. Not even celebrities. There are no early limited releases planned.

Can you clarify?
Old 09-21-08, 05:41 PM
Koma

What happens if you pull into work after your 40 mile trip and you park your car?
There goes your 40 mile range the batteries are drained, the ICE engine didn't kick in long enough to charge your batteries, you're at work and can't plug in your Volt. Does the engine stay on even after you've left your car to park to charge the batteries?
Old 09-22-08, 04:01 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
What happens if you pull into work after your 40 mile trip and you park your car?
There goes your 40 mile range the batteries are drained, the ICE engine didn't kick in long enough to charge your batteries, you're at work and can't plug in your Volt. Does the engine stay on even after you've left your car to park to charge the batteries?
That is one question I'd like the answer to. I would say probably not because GM would have no way of knowing where the car would be parked while charging. An unattended running engine would be pretty unsafe, I would think, especially in an enclosed garage.
Old 09-22-08, 08:06 AM
LexFather

The Volt is no more revolutionary than the GS450h and LS600h??? LOL!

Right. How far do those cars go on zero gas? Zero miles. Volt will go 40.

Sounds pretty revolutionary to me.

One car offers owners the chance to use ZERO gas in their commutes. The other cars offer their owners a small increase in mileage and power for a very premium price.

The Tesla roadster could also be very revolutionary if they bring costs down and prove their reliability and availability since they're an unknown company with no real dealer network.

I don't think its revolutionary b/c this has been done before. Doesn't the Tesla run on electric only already? The EV1?

It might be revolutionary b/c people can actually afford it and use it, it seats 4 with a trunk.

Old 09-22-08, 08:44 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Why would it remain on? It can just turn on if need be when your start the car again.
Old 09-22-08, 08:55 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by IS350jet
That is one question I'd like the answer to. I would say probably not because GM would have no way of knowing where the car would be parked while charging. An unattended running engine would be pretty unsafe, I would think, especially in an enclosed garage.
Well I assume the car would have enough charge left in it to kick up the engine to start charging or would have a "reserve" left for this type of situation. The reserve would need to have enough battery in it for traveling long enough for the batteries to be charged by the engine.
Old 09-22-08, 08:57 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Why would it remain on? It can just turn on if need be when your start the car again.
Well say if the battery is pretty much run out of it's battery charge but not enough for the engine to kick in before you park.
You come back to your car, and the battery is still pretty much dead. You turn on the car, the engine kicks on at this time. Do you sit there til the battery charges enough for you to drive?
Old 09-22-08, 11:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The ICE starter battery is likely separate from the electric motor batteries so the ICE can always run. If you drove 40 miles on electric to work and the batteries are thus drained, it would mean you'd just be using the gas engine most of the way home (depending on environment) and I say most and not all because driving home would recharge the electric motor batteries some.

Doesn't matter whether it's 4, 40, or 400 miles electric range, the issue is the same.

Quick Reply: EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined