Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 11:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Well say if the battery is pretty much run out of it's battery charge but not enough for the engine to kick in before you park.
You come back to your car, and the battery is still pretty much dead. You turn on the car, the engine kicks on at this time. Do you sit there til the battery charges enough for you to drive?
No, you can drive with ICE only of course.
Old 09-22-08, 12:07 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No, you can drive with ICE only of course.
No you can't. The only thing that drives the wheels are the electronic motors. The ICE engine is specifically for charging the LI-ION batteries. That's why I'm so confused. I'm sure GM thought of it but a lot of details are still unreleased.

The Volt is not a hybrid. It's an electric vehicle with gas engine assist for charging the batteries when you're not near a plug.
Old 09-22-08, 03:59 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well say if the battery is pretty much run out of it's battery charge but not enough for the engine to kick in before you park.
You come back to your car, and the battery is still pretty much dead. You turn on the car, the engine kicks on at this time. Do you sit there til the battery charges enough for you to drive?
I think it will start charging when you start back up the car, don't know how effective it will be at charging and driving at the same time when the battery is needed at full charge
Old 09-22-08, 04:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting little bit. Has me scratching my head a little bit if its true.

Volt: A pricey short hauler?
Overshadowed Cruze is GM's real savior

Last week, I learned that GM wants to optimize the Volt for motorists who would use it for relatively short daily hauls.

Frank Weber, the Volt's chief engineer, let slip that the vehicle's gasoline engine will not recharge the batteries during daily operations. The only way to recharge those lithium ion batteries is by plugging them into an outlet.

Now, this doesn't mean that you'll be stranded by the roadside if the batteries run down. Once you've driven 40 miles or so, the gasoline engine will generate electricity to power the car. But after the first 40 miles, the batteries might as well be a paperweight.
Source: Autonews.com
Old 09-22-08, 08:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Interesting little bit. Has me scratching my head a little bit if its true.

Volt: A pricey short hauler?
Overshadowed Cruze is GM's real savior

Source: Autonews.com
Exactly what I stated. We don't know enough about the Volt yet, and already a comment like this starts to put some doubt into the Volt's capabilities, especially after 40 miles.

People are not going to buy the Volt just for short-haul commuting. This is America, and people use highways all the time. Sooner or later, Volt owners will use their car for medium-haul trips on the highway and I have a feeling the Volt will not perform so great in those conditions after 40 miles.
Old 09-22-08, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

No you can't. The only thing that drives the wheels are the electronic motors. The ICE engine is specifically for charging the LI-ION batteries. That's why I'm so confused. I'm sure GM thought of it but a lot of details are still unreleased.

The Volt is not a hybrid. It's an electric vehicle with gas engine assist for charging the batteries when you're not near a plug.
Right and the article above explains it... the gas ICE is basically just an electricity GENERATOR. Maybe it won't recharge the batteries, but it will get you home.
Old 09-22-08, 10:42 PM
xioix
Racer

Right and the article above explains it... the gas ICE is basically just an electricity GENERATOR. Maybe it won't recharge the batteries, but it will get you home.
Lutz said it will travel like 200 more miles, but if that is a 10 gallon tank, would you think that is good?
Old 09-23-08, 04:59 AM
Koma

Does that seem kinda lame to anyone else? To recharge your batteries you need to wait til you get home? There's going to be a lot of energy lost when you transfer from gas->electric->drive wheels rather than gas->drive wheels. This was seriously better off as a hybrid plugin with EV mode up to 40 miles.
Old 09-23-08, 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

This vehicle won't be for everyone. But I think you guys are still missing the point. If your daily driving is 40 mi. or less, you will get INFINITE mpg, use NO gas. No hybrid can claim that.

But is this car good for taking five people 300 miles to Wallyworld? NO.

This is a useful commuter car option. But there's no free lunch - choose your trade-off.
Old 09-23-08, 06:28 AM
timer00
Pole Position

This vehicle won't be for everyone. But I think you guys are still missing the point. If your daily driving is 40 mi. or less, you will get INFINITE mpg, use NO gas. No hybrid can claim that.

This is a useful commuter car option. But there's no free lunch - choose your trade-off.
So your saying the perpetual motion car doesn't exist??? noooooooooooooooo
Old 09-23-08, 07:47 AM
Koma

It kinda caters to the type of person that travels less than 40 miles roundtrip for work everyday and doesn't do much driving outside of work related/errands. Or to a person that needs a daily commuter for 40 miles roundtrip and has a second car for longer trips.
I wouldn't buy the car because it isn't for me. It would work for me in the case of commuting but because I live in an apartment I don't have access to plug the car in overnight.
I can see why GM is setting the sell point low because it's a niche vehicle. Most people who buy a car don't plan to have to buy another car for secondary uses.
Old 09-24-08, 10:34 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default Chevy Volt Battery Does Not Recharge While Driving

Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=132112

I knew something was fishy about this car all along because it just sounds too good to be true... I think GM has hyped up the Volt just a little bit too much and it is going to come back and bite them once the complete story is surfaced.

Toyota probably knew about this the whole time and that's why they aren't even worried...
Old 09-24-08, 10:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

That's a pretty big disappointment...Wonder why they can't make it charge though
Old 09-24-08, 10:58 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Lutz proclaimed that the Volt is a "pure electric" hybrid in that the engine is only used for recharging the battery. Turns out the engine powers the whole car after 40 miles....terrible engineering if true!
Old 09-24-08, 11:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Its cheaper and more cost efficient to increase the fuel tank by 1 gallon than it is to lug around hundreds of pounds extra.

Quick Reply: EPA rates the Volt: 93 MPG-equivalent on electricity, 37 MPG gas, 60 MPG combined