Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TSX gets a V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Acura TSX gets a V6

Though I think that a few 2010 models were also built with it, for 2011, the TSX line, formerly (mostly) four-cylinder only, gets the 3.5L V6 option with 280 HP and 258 ft-lbs. of torque....a fair amount of spunk for a car of this size. It's not quite the 305 HP rating that the 3.7L powerplants in the TL and RL have, but plenty for that size car.

http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=TSX

As I see it, this makes the 3.5L TSX somewhat more competitive with the Lexus IS350, BMW 335i, Audi A4 3.2L, Infiniti G37, and other competitiors with roughly equal-size powerplants. However, many of these competitors offer an AWD option, and Acura still shows no signs of expanding its superb SH-AWD option to the TSX line. A number of those competitors also offer RWD, and the TSX is FWD only, which can be somewhat of a disadvantage for true sport-sedan handling.

Acura spokespersons have remarked that the TSX doesn't need AWD. I disagree. I myself am sold on it....though I'll admit that, in many winters (last one was an exception) there isn't as much of a need for it here in the D.C. area as points further north and west.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/2nd-ge...ed-sh-awd.html

One thing I like about the TSX, however, is that it is not only cheaper than the larger TL but, IMO, also better-looking inside and out....though I'm not impressed by the dropping of the interior wood-tone trim option from the 1Gen to the 2Gen model. Many of you have commented on the TL's silly exterior styling, and I generally have to agree....but the TSX, except for the parrot-beak snout, avoids most of the TL's ugliness.

A neat SportWagon model is also on the way (we've discussed that in other threads, so I won't rehash the whole story here). It sure beats the Honda Crosstour's awkward-rear-end looks, but I still wish that Acura would reconsider and give it the Crosstour's AWD and raised-suspension so that it could compete better with the Subaru 3.6R Outback. As many of you know, I'm a firm Outback believer, but the 2010-2011 models have steering/front-suspension defects that still persist, so I've totally ruled out those models. If those defects persist into the 2012 models, I may just give up and look at something else.

http://www.acura.com/FutureVehiclesTSX.aspx#/section6

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-10 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 07:04 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Acura will probably sell the same x% (I think it's about 10%) of the V6 that other car manufacturers sell of their 6 over 4 when a 4 is available. Yes, a V6 is very nice, but I think it's going to be a $4K bump, that's pretty big for most.

Also, the 4 is not incompetent, it's a pretty good combo for the TSX. I think the 6 will sell, but not in any big numbers.
Old 11-30-10, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Acura will probably sell the same x% (I think it's about 10%) of the V6 that other car manufacturers sell of their 6 over 4 when a 4 is available. Yes, a V6 is very nice, but I think it's going to be a $4K bump, that's pretty big for most.
3-4K extra for a V6 (or an H6) is not unusual....for several automakers, that's about par for the course. And, of course, not all V6s are actually major upgrades from fours, as the (standard) small and rather wimpy 2.5L V6 in the Lexus IS250 shows....it has only 184 ft-lbs. of torque. The just-introduced Infiniti G25, which I recently reviewed, also has a rather wimpy 2.5L V6.

Also, the 4 is not incompetent, it's a pretty good combo for the TSX. I think the 6 will sell, but not in any big numbers.
For general stop-and-go driving, I tend to agree. But many buyers in this price and market range expect a V6 or a turbo (Acuras are considered upmarket/premium vehicles, though we all agree that they are not at Tier-1 level). Still, even the four used in the Acura RDX has a turbo (the only turbo-4 in the U.S.-market Honda/Acura lineup), which gives it V6 power. Infiniti, which is aso considered an upmarket nameplate, tried marketing a G20 with a N/A 2.0L four that, at the time, was used in the Nissan Sentra SE-R...the result was a sales disaster (I liked the G20 myself, but the public shunned it in droves). The original G20 was dropped, kept off the market for several years, then Infiniti tried again with an updated G20. Again, the sales-results were dismal.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 07:37 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven a 2008 TSX and was not impressed. And having a V6 will probably not make me want one over a C300 or ES350.
None of the new Acuras are class leading. IMO Lexus passed Acura up in the mid 90s and has been ahead ever since.
Old 11-30-10, 07:40 PM
LexFather

Mike, the V-6 has been available for over a year now I believe. I think it just got a refresh but it looks tackier than before to me.

Car does nothing for me, but a great DD ala ES 350.

Old 11-30-10, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike, the V-6 has been available for over a year now I believe. I think it just got a refresh but it looks tackier than before to me.
Yeah....some 2010's had it. I don't recall seeing it on Acura's spec-sheet......but, perhaps it was.

What do you think of the wagon? You seem, for example, to like the Cadillac CTS SportWagon more than the sedan (and I agree...it's sharp-looking). Do you think it enhances the TSX the same way?

Car does nothing for me, but a great DD ala ES 350.
After being used to a GS Hybrid, I can probably understand why you're not very impressed with it.
Old 11-30-10, 07:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah....some 2010's had it. I don't recall seeing it on Acura's spec-sheet......but, perhaps it was.

What do you think of the wagon? You seem, for example, to like the Cadillac CTS SportWagon more than the sedan (and I agree...it's sharp-looking). Do you think it enhances the TSX the same way?

After being used to a GS Hybrid, I can probably understand why you're not very impressed with it.
CTS wagon is RWD, has a superb interior and looks great with a V-6, 6 speed auto and optional V version. I can see myself driving one and modding it.

TSX wagon has FWD, okay interior, I-4 only, 5 speed auto and no optional anything. I have hardly any interest to drive it. I can see myself driving one, off a cliff.

Old 11-30-10, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88Legend
I have driven a 2008 TSX and was not impressed. And having a V6 will probably not make me want one over a C300 or ES350.
The 2008 model, from what I remember, was still a 1Gen model. It was totally redesigned the following year.....but the interior, in the 2Gen model, was, IMO, noticeably cheaped, used more hard-plastic, and the wood-trim option dropped.

If you are used to the ES350's relatively smooth, quiet ride, or the C300's superb ride/handling balance and chassis engineering, then, as you note, you probably would not be very impressed with the TSX's chassis......it, like much of the rest of the car, is derived from the non-U.S.-version Accord, a run-of-the-mill family-sedan.
Old 11-30-10, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CTS wagon is RWD, has a superb interior and looks great with a V-6, 6 speed auto and optional V version. I can see myself driving one and modding it.

TSX wagon has FWD, okay interior, I-4 only, 5 speed auto and no optional anything. I have hardly any interest to drive it. I can see myself driving one, off a cliff.
Part of that disparity, of course, reflects the difference in price. The CTS Wagon I reviewed was well over 50K. Acura hasn't announced final prices, but I'd guess the average TSX Sportwagon, depending on engine/transmission/options, going around 30-35K....more, of course, if they change their mind and go with the SH-AWD.

I'd also bet the monthly rent on the average TSX being more reliable.....the CTS, in both generations, is well-below-average in reliability, according to Consumer Reports.
Old 11-30-10, 08:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, the V6 was launched over a year ago but never sold very well. My dealer got about 10 for all of last year and it was very difficult to move them. The price point is the killer. It's the same price as a base TL which doesn't make any sense since the TL is bigger, higher class, and has the same basic engine. Everyone naturally chose the TL. The benefit with the TSX is that it's faster. It's the fastest Acura in fact.

Too bad it's taken Honda nearly 2 years to bring over the wagon though. It's been available as the Accord wagon in other markets right from the beginning.
Old 11-30-10, 08:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88Legend
None of the new Acuras are class leading. IMO Lexus passed Acura up in the mid 90s and has been ahead ever since.
There's a huge difference between the 2008, a 5 year old model in '08, and the redesigned 2009. The current generation is a great car at its price that sits below other entry level luxury cars.

And when was Acura ever ahead of Lexus, lol? Unless you're taking between '86 & '89 when Lexus didn't exist. The LS & SC were out from the beginning and were way better than any Acura.
Old 11-30-10, 08:36 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is any of this really news?
Old 11-30-10, 08:42 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317
ftmfw. wake me up when there's a tsx type SH-AWD-R
Attached Thumbnails Acura TSX gets a V6-epic_win.jpg  
Old 11-30-10, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by malujerry
ftmfw. wake me up when there's a tsx type SH-AWD-R
In that case, be ready for a nice long nap. Acura management doesn't seem to want an AWD TSX....R or otherwise. If the SportWagon got AWD (and the raised-suspension like the Crosstour), I'd seriously consider one myself.
Old 11-30-10, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Well, not the kind of news some of us were hoping for.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX gets a V6