Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 06:52 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ebay

ebay is now synonymous for online auctions.

Is ebay even a word that remotely means online auctions?
Old 12-04-10, 06:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

My argument is that it does not matter what you name your company or what logo you make or choose to represent your company or what your mission statement is. If your service are top notch, your product is excellent, that name and that logo will stand for it, whatever they may be.
Old 12-05-10, 06:51 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo

What feeling is invoked when I see this logo?

Amazing drivers car. And an even more Awesome car for the mechanic to get rich.

Is that what the logo designers had in mind when they developed this logo?

Your work, your product makes the logo famous, and not vice versa.
What you don't seem to get is that the two things are not mutually exclusive. they have to go together. But your insistence that the effort companies put into representing themselves with a mark that embodies their brand is futile and silly is just uniformed, unrealistic and narrow minded. It flies in the face of not just one company's business view, not just America's business view but the GLOBAL business view.
Old 12-05-10, 06:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
What you don't seem to get is that the two things are not mutually exclusive. they have to go together. But your insistence that the effort companies put into representing themselves with a mark that embodies their brand is futile and silly is just uniformed, unrealistic and narrow minded. It flies in the face of not just one company's business view, not just America's business view but the GLOBAL business view.
That is because I have studied business, been in the business, have designed Logos and developed mission statements.

What I am saying is from my own experience and observations. I am not a sheep that will say ba ba ba because others are saying ba ba ba.
Old 12-05-10, 07:06 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

What you don't seem to get is that the two things are not mutually exclusive. they have to go together. ...
I definitely agree with this statement.
Even though they are not mutually exclusive, my insistence is that the work, the services you provide will define your business, not the logo. Once people get to appreciate your work, they will recognize you with the logo that you have then, whatever it may be. It could be very intricate, complex, and meaningful logo or it could be as simple as your brand name/corp name such as TOYOTA or AT&T. Spending time and effort in designing a logo such as what Mazda did not once but many times and what Toyota did was a time waste.

Eg. The BMW logo IIRC is from the days it made airplanes, and represents the props of an airplane.
But after they started making and dominating the world of cars, did they change the logo to a car? No.
They stuck with whatever it was when they became famous.

Has Mercedes moved away from it's Tri-star logo? Nope. That is what they had when they became famous.
The star did not make them famous. It is what people remembered the company by when they were happy and satisfied with their products. I am not even sure what the star stands for or why Mr. Daimler chose that to represent his company. Do you?

but on the other hand, TOYOTA led an effort to develop a logo ages after they became famous.
Most people still know toyota by TOYOTA.
MAZDA did that number of times, but what stands apart is the MAZDA logo. That is still what makes them recognizable.
VW. Their logo is simple and been there for ages, in good times or bad.

Last edited by chikoo; 12-05-10 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 10:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see Mazda annouce a desirable new vehicle for a change.
Old 12-05-10, 11:47 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
That is because I have studied business, been in the business, have designed Logos and developed mission statements.

What I am saying is from my own experience and observations. I am not a sheep that will say ba ba ba because others are saying ba ba ba.
I appreciate that. And you must understand that I have 25 years experience doing those same things on an international level. So I kind of have an informed perspective on the subject.
Old 12-05-10, 02:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I appreciate that. And you must understand that I have 25 years experience doing those same things on an international level. So I kind of have an informed perspective on the subject.
I do understand that too. Glad I am discussing this with somebody with real experience.

My problem (lol) is that I have been on both sides of the fence.
MNCs push logos as brand recognition. No doubt about that. To them, everything is about brand/logo recognition when developing a market overseas.

My viewpoint is that spending too much time in developing a logo or redesigning logos every few years in an effort to improve market image is not the right approach. Evolving a logo is a good approach though utilizing the latest advances in designing tools. Redesigning a logo? Nah. A company is pretty much stuck with it, good or bad when it first hit the market.

Often times designers get carried away and try to design logo with some hidden meaning, such as the new Toyota logo.
It does not matter to the consumer what it means. They will associate that logo with whatever experience they have with the product or service offered by the company.

Last edited by chikoo; 12-05-10 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-05-10, 02:44 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota in its visual id has both logo and logotype.
Its TOYOTA logotype is much more prominent and people associate with it a lot more than with their actual logo or symbol. Thats why their logo is taking a back seat and its not so popular like lets say logo of Mercedes-Benz which btw has totally opposite situation compared to Toyota. MB symbol is more recognized than their typeface.

So when you say Toyota's logo is not so important and people don't care you are right but I am sure every time you think or mention Toyota you are thinking of that bold sanserif font

Last edited by Vladi; 12-05-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-05-10, 03:53 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BMW in chinese means bie mo wo, aka dont touch me = snobbery, wealthy douche, d*** etc etc lol