Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tariffs on Korean cars and trucks going away... BUT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 02:50 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tariffs on Korean cars and trucks going away... BUT

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...n-deep-kimchi/

Just another reason I will buy a Sonota over any Ford or UAW run plant's product
Old 12-04-10, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Tariff or no tariff, some of the American public still has to get over its continuing image of the Korean-designed vehicle as poorly-built and unreliable, like they WERE, in fact, 15-20 years ago. But it simply is not like that any more. A number of Americans now realize that, but some simply refuse to believe.....even in this CAR CHAT column.

A little off-topic, maybe, but to illlustrate, it's the same way with Mercedes......but in reverse. Much of the American public still has the tank-like, solid image of the way the typical Mercedes product was built 20-25 years ago, before the parts were lightened-up and the electronic/hardware and build-quality problems set in. Fortunately, after years of decline, the new Mercedes GLK seems to be bringing back some of that old solidness and quality. And you can still see the old solidness in the Mercedes G Gelandewagen (not the GL-class). The G-Wagon never was totally redesigned over the years, or lost its solidness to start with.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-04-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-04-10, 06:53 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I reading it correctly that Korea has been charging an 8% tariff on the cars we export to them, whereas we only charge 2.5% on theirs? Sounds like BS to me.

I'm not that article is accurate in assuming the US can't be successful in Korea eventually. They're hugely successful in China and they're certainly not doing bad in Europe despite what the article implies. But yeah in Japan they're almost non existent, primarily because they just don't' excel at making good sub compact cars.
Old 12-04-10, 08:53 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard China has high tariffs on Japanese vehicles. Something absurd that makes a car twice what it costs, sometimes 3 times? Is this true?
Old 12-05-10, 12:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, also take note of their displacement taxes...........that's why they sell an ES240 over there (as an example)
Old 12-05-10, 02:12 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Am I reading it correctly that Korea has been charging an 8% tariff on the cars we export to them, whereas we only charge 2.5% on theirs? Sounds like BS to me.
So I guess the fact that the U.S. charged a 25% tariff on Korean trucks versus 10% that the Koreans charged on U.S. trucks is not BS?