Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tips From the Service Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 09:39 PM
Turnten
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips From the Service Bay

Hey all! Just dropping off one of the newest articles from Lexus Magazine, Tips from the Service Bay. There are some really great little nuggets of info and helpful tips for Lexus Owners, and I think you'll like it. Let me know your thoughts!

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...rvice-Bay.html
Old 12-06-10, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Very good read.

Tip 2 is correct, my dealer has picked up my car at work before to do work and left a loaner and it really saves time.

Old 12-06-10, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Tip 6: Your dealer knows you, but always bring identification.
Picking up a courtesy car? Be sure to bring your driver’s license and insurance card, says Myers. Several dealers told us this is a common oversight. In a way, it’s understandable: Lexus dealers are so amicable that for many customers it can seem like borrowing a car from a friend. But they’re a business, and they have legal and contractual requirements preventing them from giving you a loan car without a license and insurance.
Most drivers, of course, have their license already with them, but many don't carry their insurance card wth them. I always have two copies of the insurance card with me.....one in the glove-compartment (with the registration) of my own car, and the other in my wallet, next to my drivers' license, for whatever car I happen to be driving at the moment.....I review and test-drive a lot of new cars, of course.
Old 12-06-10, 03:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I especially like Tip 4: Feel free to instruct your dealer.

I do it in a concise fashion in writing, works great for service.
Old 12-06-10, 06:21 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

^I'm with IS-SV. it's not demanding, just a means of jotting down everything you want to get done. it's on record, so the service they're suppose to do is not something else other than what was instructed for.
Old 12-06-10, 06:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Re Tip 6, my dealer also asks for a major credit card. Last time I was there, a customer needed a loaner. He didn't have a credit card. It wasn't that he forgot it, he told them he didn't have one at all. He said his wife had them. I'm not sure if they had to get a number from her but he got his loaner.

My dealer offers to pick up the car from me (30 miles) but I pass. It's about the only time I get to drive a distance. They also have a lot of NY customers. It's not unusual for them to do it for both service and sales. One thing I'll never forget, my SA told me they had several pick-ups, after 9/11
Old 12-06-10, 10:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I like all the tips, but I don't like the idea of the dealer driving my car more. I rather take the time to drive to them and back. I also feel it's only fair for them to leave the gas tank level at the same point as when we dropped it off- just as we have to do with the loaners.
Old 12-07-10, 05:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

U fillup the loaners? Nobody here does that.
Old 12-07-10, 07:38 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Lol y'all don't fill up loaners? They always make it clear to me that it should be where I got it when I return it... I mean if its an 1/8th lower I don't think they would go through all the work to charge u for that... but I don't usually go far (usually home and back 5 miles) so I never put gas
Old 12-07-10, 07:42 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure of my local Lexus dealer's policy on filling up loaners as I've always had basic maintenance done at the Toyota dealer. I've never had to do any major services. The Toyota dealer has no policy on filing up loaners. When I briefly worked there, the responsibility was on the service department to fill up the loaners as needed on the company account.
Old 12-07-10, 08:27 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I never fill up my loaners. Of course, I've never had one with a full tank either. Usually around half-tank.
Old 12-07-10, 09:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

My dealer always makes it a point to tell me to fill them. However I have a feeling if I returned it w/o, they wouldn't say anything. Usually when I drop off the loaner, the porter gets in it and moves it off to nowhereland. I still rather not cause waves, since this dealer has nice loaners.
Old 12-08-10, 05:14 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent read, thanks for sharing.

I always bring a written list when I go to the dealer, even if its just for an Oil Change.
Old 12-08-10, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Excellent read, thanks for sharing.

I always bring a written list when I go to the dealer, even if its just for an Oil Change.
Agreed, a computer-generated Word document (dated) is stored in a subfolder on my computer for easy reference.