Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Camry lose the sales crown in 2011?
Yes
16.92%
No
67.69%
I hope all the bad things in life happen to the Camry and only the Camry
7.69%
All hail Hyundai!
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 09:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I think the 2012 Camry will be a fantastic vehicle. From what I have heard (directly from the top) Toyota has held nothing back with the 7th gen and is planning to fully leapfrog the current competition and will obviously plan to be ahead of the yet-to-be-redesigned models as well.

Best in class MPG, huge improvement in interior quality, Intuit infotainment system, hybrids galore, etc.
Old 12-06-10, 09:41 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW, I think the 2012 Camry will be a fantastic vehicle. From what I have heard (directly from the top) Toyota has held nothing back with the 7th gen and is planning to fully leapfrog the current competition and will obviously plan to be ahead of the yet-to-be-redesigned models as well.

Best in class MPG, huge improvement in interior quality, Intuit infotainment system, hybrids galore, etc.

I don't think Camry is going down the shoot anytime soon. The competition may be more fierce than ever but I don't think the public has given up on Toyota to a degree that they can't continue to dominate this segment.
Old 12-06-10, 10:02 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Camry will be #1 for at least another 2 to 3 years.
Old 12-06-10, 12:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
The Camry will be #1 for at least another 2 to 3 years.
Well it's impossible to even predict beyond 2011 without seeing the new model yet. By saying 2-3 years, it's saying that the all new Camry will only hold out the competition for its first year or two. The only way I see that happening is if Honda brings out a game changer themselves in the Accord in 2013/14. I think the Camry will be such a step up that Honda won't easily be able to leapfrog Toyota in that event.
Old 12-06-10, 12:23 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

New Camry will actually be a 2012 model, arriving in spring of next year, so just around the corner
Any photo's of the design?

I don't think Toyota has much to worry about it. Even though it went down, it's still ahead of Honda by 17,000 units. I'm sure Toyota can hold their ground for less than 6 months until the new model arrives.
Old 12-06-10, 12:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It'll be interesting to see if Honda responds by opening up more sales for fleet. I'm sure if they did that, the Accord will take over the Camry for the number 1 spot in total sale (retail + fleet). But knowing Honda, they have too much pride to ever let that happen so they rather play it safe and be 2nd.
Old 12-06-10, 12:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

they're only improving the interior because of competition (from ford and hyundai in particular).

the camry is a smooth boring plain and reliable car.
Old 12-06-10, 12:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they're only improving the interior because of competition (from ford and hyundai in particular).

While I will gladly admit that the Camry's interior is not what it once was, I really don't see the Sonata or Fusion as being any better. They all have their shortfalls but the Hyundai's shiney black trim pieces and spongey plastic dash really don't make me feel any more upscale. Fusion is decent but all of the little black buttons and a few hard plastics are nothing to write home about.

Just IMO, of course.
Old 12-06-10, 01:11 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

We're actually talking about the ALL new Camry "due" for model year 2012. There's just some debate on whether it is indeed 2012 or if it's delayed for 2013. You can be assured that Toyota pulls out all the stops with this next Camry, their most important car.

While I will gladly admit that the Camry's interior is not what it once was, I really don't see the Sonata or Fusion as being any better. They all have their shortfalls but the Hyundai's shiney black trim pieces and spongey plastic dash really don't make me feel any more upscale. Fusion is decent but all of the little black buttons and a few hard plastics are nothing to write home about.

Just IMO, of course.
I think people are more critical of the current interior than it deserves. Is it plain looking? Sure. But in reality it is built very durable and is very comfortable and has very good ergonomics. Others may be flashier but have other downfalls. Personally, I feel great sitting in a Camry, much more so than the overly firm Accord which itself is all plastic.
Old 12-06-10, 08:27 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

nobody will overtake toyota and lexus, numbers only show a drop because their previous years of sales were so unbelievable strong. Even toyota's and lexus's worst years cannot be met by hyundai's, GM, ford's best year.

the resale values prove this, toyota and lexus dominate.
Old 12-06-10, 10:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Model year 2013.

Should be out early 2012.
I believe the Fusion should be out around that time too.

Malibu, Altima, Mazda6 should also be something to consider watching carefully.
Old 12-06-10, 10:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I currently have a 2010 LE rental. It's a good car. Coming out of the IS, it's hard to not be critical. But from what else I've driven, I think the Camry rides the smoothest, is most comfortable, most powerful (base form), and has the most appealing styling. For it to still be the number one seller, speaks volumes of how well it's met customer's needs.
Old 12-07-10, 12:21 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the "leaked" shots circulating the net aren't the redesign for 2012. I wish they would bring over the Aurion to the States. That is one mean Camry.

Regardless, the old comfy, boaty ride grew old on me pretty fast. I made my car the most uncomfortable car but it handles like no other. Plenty more to do with her too
Old 12-07-10, 07:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I currently have a 2010 LE rental. It's a good car. Coming out of the IS, it's hard to not be critical. But from what else I've driven, I think the Camry rides the smoothest, is most comfortable, most powerful (base form), and has the most appealing styling. For it to still be the number one seller, speaks volumes of how well it's met customer's needs.
I've always found the Camry so deadly dull that I literally hate the car (I've spent over a week with one) but I realize I'm not the prime customer for this car so millions of other folks can't be wrong.

I don't think Toyota can be so middle-of-the-road with the next Camry because the style quotient will be inching up a few notches with all cars in this segment and buyers may want that (witness the sales surge of the new Sonata who's styling I would say has a lot to do with its success).
Old 12-07-10, 07:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I've always found the Camry so deadly dull that I literally hate the car (I've spent over a week with one) but I realize I'm not the prime customer for this car so millions of other folks can't be wrong.

I don't think Toyota can be so middle-of-the-road with the next Camry because the style quotient will be inching up a few notches with all cars in this segment and buyers may want that (witness the sales surge of the new Sonata who's styling I would say has a lot to do with its success).
Also helping the Sonata is a loaded w/NAV non turbo Sonata Limited is about $5K cheaper list than the Camry XLE and the new loaded turbo is around $3K cheaper.
Add in the better warranty too.

Quick Reply: The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered