Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Camry lose the sales crown in 2011?
Yes
16.92%
No
67.69%
I hope all the bad things in life happen to the Camry and only the Camry
7.69%
All hail Hyundai!
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 08:14 PM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW, I think the 2012 Camry will be a fantastic vehicle. From what I have heard (directly from the top) Toyota has held nothing back with the 7th gen and is planning to fully leapfrog the current competition and will obviously plan to be ahead of the yet-to-be-redesigned models as well.

Best in class MPG, huge improvement in interior quality, Intuit infotainment system, hybrids galore, etc.
sounds like a bunch of overblown hyperbole to me. Would "the top" (whatever that means), say anything otherwise. would they tell you "it's going to be average". What do buzz phrases like "fully leapfrog the competition" even mean? Come on, don't buy into corporate propaganda. I'm sure they would tell you the same thing about that new Corolla that's [sadly] rolling into dealer lots right now. I think most of us know what a disaster that car is versus the new competition in the segment.

I remember a ford pr guy telling me upon release of the current Focus that the company "going to embarrass the competition". it's their job, MRLexus401, look for yourself.
Old 12-07-10, 08:42 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real question is why would they do anything different than come out with the best? Toyota's Camry of this Gen came out and beat everything else. Even lately, in MT they rated it the best FAMILY sedan, which is what the Camry is supposed to be. Do families look for Turbocharged 4wd cornering monsters? No, they look for reliability comfort and price. The Camry has been all of that. The new Camry will be all of that, and the Camry will continue to be the leader in it's segment, in terms of sales, which equals appeal. Appeal isn't just looks, or handling, but the whole package, and if that whole package equals sales, the Camry is the midsize car of choice.
Old 12-07-10, 08:53 PM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

Again, we could bring up the just launched TC or Corolla. Wasn't it in the company's best interest to "come out with the best"? That's such a vague term, you can't define it. Every manufacture has that goal set, but the end product, after the different teams have mulled everything together in the final shipped product - well things can change. The two cars in question aren't really game changers in any regard, and the competition is moving forward.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think Camry is actually a better car than an Accord (more sound deadening for one), but ask yourself, would there be any harm in Toyota putting more than 10 minutes of thought into the electric power steering pump? More than a few seconds into the way the car wallows in turns? There are certainly ways to shore up the handling capabilities and overall feel behind the wheel without disrupting the clean and soft ride. Will it cost some money and require some effort? Absolutely. But so many other manufactures have succeeded at providing the best of both worlds that in my opinion Toyota, as the world's largest manufacture, with a huge war chest of billions, is running out of excuses and appearing just flat lazy.
Old 12-07-10, 08:56 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Do you think the Corolla is a sports car? Why drive it like one. You think Toyota are stupid or something? That they don't know what they're doing? Look at the demographic of purchasers for their models. Not everyone wants a sports car. The Corolla is only a couple years away from another brand new model, and the Camry is here next year. Save judgments for then. Toyota has made cars for the masses, point A to point B drivers. And that's MOST of who purchase cars. People complain, but the people that get on blogs or the net, are enthusiasts of cars, not the masses.
Old 12-07-10, 09:01 PM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

Do you think that GM thought they were stupid for years leading up to their downfall? Arrogance and complacency and past success is a recipe for pitfalls in the future. The new Corolla is not a sports car and neither is any car in the segment. But it lacks in style, it lacks in sophistication ( ancient 4 speed automatic, door drum interior, shoddy workmanship), has class-lagging road manners, etc. The Corolla is literally holding on by it's reputation and name alone. If the car had a Hyundai badge on it, I;m sure half the internet would be jumping on it for being a poor, ugly, and unrefined penalty box.
Old 12-07-10, 09:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1AFCabinUA
Do you think that GM thought they were stupid for years leading up to their downfall? Arrogance and complacency and past success is a recipe for pitfalls in the future. The new Corolla is not a sports car and neither is any car in the segment. But it lacks in style, it lacks in sophistication ( ancient 4 speed automatic, door drum interior, shoddy workmanship), has class-lagging road manners, etc. The Corolla is literally holding on by it's reputation and name alone. If the car had a Hyundai badge on it, I;m sure half the internet would be jumping on it for being a poor, ugly, and unrefined penalty box.
I think GM hit their low due to imcompetence, not arrogance. They simply had no clue how do build a competitive car for the longest time. Putting all their eggs in the truck/SUV basket didn't help matters either.
Old 12-07-10, 09:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

And like I said, wait till the next generation before making statements like that against it's NEW competitors. There's a new guy at the helm that believes in the sport aspect. The 'old' Toyota had sports cars galore, but that didn't get them sales. That in fact made them discontinue their sports cars due to their LACK of sales. Now all of a sudden it's 'cool' again to have sports cars? Toyota was just going with the times. The Supra, Celica, MR2 all had lagging sales, it wasn't due to being outclassed by the competition. If what you believe in is that Toyota will sit back on their laurels and let things go as is, you're wrong. We can already see that with cars upcoming like the FT, and will probably see more sport and more quality.
Old 12-08-10, 09:20 AM
votru
Lead Lap

I don't think will hurt if drop down a slot after being number 1 for so long. But with new design coming, don't count Camry out yet.
Old 12-08-10, 09:38 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the ultimate bread and butter car, IMO. no flash. has the technological advances, reliability, roominess, and affordability- there's a reason why the toyota camry has done so well year after year. i don't see it losing that ranking, but at the same time, competition has stiffened greatly, so either toyota perseveres harder with its next gen camry or get passed by the competition. either way, it's good for toyota to see what the market really wants so that they can either strengthen their standing atop the camry class or work towards outdueling their competition within this class.

but now since toyota axed all of its sports cars- the celica most recent to leave - i think that absense has made the sport car more alluring for certain customers, especially those who want an affordable sporty ride. all i've heard from friends and some salespeople from toyota dealers is that they want the supra back- some way, some how. i remember when there was a lapse in production between nissan's r34 gt-r and the r35, and there was so much hype when it finally came to production. i think the supra would be welcomed immensely after a decade long lapse. i'm looking forward to seeing the ft-86 when it arrives, but in no way can that replace the legacy of the toyota supra.
Old 12-08-10, 11:17 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

I think Toyota should stick with the four trim level strategy. Apparently it has worked out very well. Continue with the value LE, sport SE, luxurious XLE, and fuel efficient hybrid. It offers almost everything for everyone. The popular SE handles well and helps balance out the vanilla character of the normal Camry. I see no reason why the next Camry cannot be successful with better styling, improved interior, and mpg. Powerwise, the 4 and 6 cylinders are good as is. I think the next generation Camry will test the brand's loyalty as in whether they will return or not due to the endless recalls.
Old 12-08-10, 11:29 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
I think Toyota should stick with the four trim level strategy. Apparently it has worked out very well. Continue with the value LE, sport SE, luxurious XLE, and fuel efficient hybrid. It offers almost everything for everyone. The popular SE handles well and helps balance out the vanilla character of the normal Camry. I see no reason why the next Camry cannot be successful with better styling, improved interior, and mpg. Powerwise, the 4 and 6 cylinders are good as is. I think the next generation Camry will test the brand's loyalty as in whether they will return or not due to the endless recalls.
Agreed

The Camry formula is perfect for mass sales. No need to mess with that formula. All Toyota needs to do is keep it good looking with widely accepted styling and keep up with competition. They'll keep selling like hotcakes.
Old 12-08-10, 12:12 PM
LexFather

I've driven them all in this class, most for good periods of time. My wife had an Altima and a family member had a Camry SE.

While I agree the Camry is not head and shoulders above the rest it does what its supposed to do. I really am unsure what people complain about in regards to the Camry. Its reliable, spacious, has good engines and ads sport in SE mode.

99% of these cars ARE NOT DRIVEN HARD. None of them, until they are passed to their kids and ricered out

And quite frankly I prefer Toyota dumb down the Camry and give the ES the better bits. I don't understand for example making the Accord so good, I question the value of the TSX/TL which share similar looking/feeling interiors.

Let us not forget the "Coupe" Solara is dropped so that are tens of thousands of units gone which makes it seem like the Camry is doing worse than it is.

We've seen the sales results thus far. The Sonata which everyone and their momma is fapping over hasn't made a dent in Camry sales.

Can the CAmry be better? Yes. I just hope that if Toyota makes the Camry that damn good (circa 1992-96 model) that the ES gets upgraded as well.

Old 12-08-10, 12:34 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Was unhappy with the Corolla, so we picked one up. It's a J-car built Camry, so we're hoping it doesn't have the same kind of recalls as the US built units.
Old 12-08-10, 12:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Let us not forget the "Coupe" Solara is dropped so that are tens of thousands of units gone which makes it seem like the Camry is doing worse than it is.
Let's also note that the Camry and Venza are added separately.
Honda lumps the sedan, coupe, and Crossturd all in one.

If Toyota reinvigorates the Solara (or even the old school Camry wagon), the Camry can maintain its numbers, if not exceed it.

I, for one, would choose to prevent the bastardization of the Camry with multiple variants for the sake of sales numbers. It does well as a sedan. Period. Toyota needs to separate coupes, wagons, crossovers, and the such with independent designs, engineering, and technology.
Old 12-08-10, 12:49 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Camry coupe like this?
Attached Thumbnails The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered-camry-coupe-f34-thumb-717x477.jpg  

Quick Reply: The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered