Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Camry lose the sales crown in 2011?
Yes
16.92%
No
67.69%
I hope all the bad things in life happen to the Camry and only the Camry
7.69%
All hail Hyundai!
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 10:39 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C. McHale
how can you make a prediction like this about the new Camry when no one has seen it yet? You don't know if it will have a poor interior or less-than-stellar reliability/durability. No one knows yet.
Because I'm likely twice as old as you so I've witnessed how every car company that once dominated sales and then allowed interior and mechanical quality to slip never reversed itself and so never regained it's sales dominance.
This is true even of the European and Japanese companies; e.g. Volkswagen was once the dominant import but every VW model built after the Beetle has been unreliable, hence VW Sales tanked. In the late 60's and early 70's Nissan was the dominant Japanese car then Nissan let interior quality and mechanical reliability slip in the mid-70's which allowed Toyota to overtake it in sales. Nissan has never attempted to reverse itself to regain it's dominance (although admittedly, Nissan has improved interior furnishings in recent years which has helped the company regain some lost market share).
Old 01-24-11, 10:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Toyota is losing market share for exactly the same reasons GM did in the 80's and 90's:
1) Cheap looking and feeling interiors
2) Declining reliability and durability
3) Mechanicals too complicated for owners to service themselves
4) Skyrocketing prices

The next generation Camry will not solve any of these serious problems, hence Camry will lose it's top spot just like the Chevy Impala and Olds Cultlass did in the 80's and 90's.
1.) Much of the competition has cheap looking and/or feeling interiors. Is Toyota BEHIND the industry average in terms of interiors like GM was back in the 80s and 90s? GM interiors were some of the worst in the industry back then.

2.) Do you have any PROOF of this? Lots of proof says Toyota durability and reliability has remained stable or flat over the past several years.

3.) Compared to ... what brands exactly? Toyotas are some of the most straightforward cars to work on mechanically. Don't believe me? Go talk to as many mechanics as you can and then see what they say.

4.) Skyrocketing ... compared to what?

Wow, so you've seen the next-gen Camry already and you're sure that it won't solve any of these problems?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IF the Camry ever gives up its #1 title (and that title doesn't go back to the Honda Accord), my educated guess is that it will probably go to the Hyundai Sonata, even though I don't like the new re-design as much as its predessors. Sonata sales have grown enormously in the last several years, and show no sign of abating.
I disagree. Sonata's styling is simply far too polarizing for America to embrace it as the #1 selling sedan. Sonata sales started hot earlier in the year, but they have cooled off the past few months. Sonata for 2-3 months now has been 5th best-seller in the class, behind not just the Camry and Accord but other competitors as well. For the first few months, the 2011 Sonata was the 3rd best-seller in the class.

Also keep in mind, three competitors that currently outsell the Sonata are all due to be redesigned soon. Those cars are the Camry, Accord, and Altima.

I predict Sonata sales to further drop to around the same level as the previous-gen model once the new Camry, Accord, and Altima hit the market.
Old 01-24-11, 10:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
It tell you my wife and I just leased a '11 Honda Accord EX...for the money it is a NICE car! Our payments are $133/mo for 30 mos only requiring $1500 down and taxes/tags/DMV etc etc which totalled to about $2600 bucks; still a good deal IMHO considering the sticker price on this one was ~$25,200.

Peppy 4cyl with 190hp, moonroof, power everything, wood grain trim, heated mirrors and 6 in-dash CD changer. It rides pretty good too! We got rid of the wife's '07 Acura TSX (which was $415/mo) to save some money with the baby on the way; wife not going to be working for a while. The Camry's just seemed a little too "old looking" for us.
"$133 a month with $1500 down?" That's what stripped Civics and Accents lease for. A sticker of $25k with little down and a low APR will usually lease for around $250/mo. There has to be some other parameters here to drop a $25k car to $133/mo.
Old 01-25-11, 04:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

IF the Camry ever gives up its #1 title (and that title doesn't go back to the Honda Accord), my educated guess is that it will probably go to the Hyundai Sonata, even though I don't like the new re-design as much as its predessors. Sonata sales have grown enormously in the last several years, and show no sign of abating.
Well, right now the Ford Fusion stands the closest to the Camry and Accord at least in that segment.
Old 01-25-11, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I disagree. Sonata's styling is simply far too polarizing for America to embrace it as the #1 selling sedan.
I agree, like you, that they blew the styling on the latest model, but the Sonata has gotten a good reputation in the market lately. And people often buy simply on past reputations alone, ignoring what the car has become in the present. I also agree, however, that the Fusion also stands a chance. And the Fusion, unlike the Sonata, offers an AWD option.
Old 01-25-11, 09:08 AM
LexFather

We cannot compare GM to Toyota. Toyota actually ADMITTED mistakes and is trying to fix them. They are built on the idea of Kaizen, continuous improvement. We are not going to see Toyota basically suck for 30 years and need to be bailed out by the government. Toyota is far better managed than GM, even today.

I was one to think the Camry's days are numbered but looking at 2010, the toughest year for the car that I can remember it still was #1. The internet fanboi magazine darling Sonata didn't make a dent in Camry OR Accord sales. The Sonata is still way behind both.

The Camry continues to be a great car for most people, tons of room, good interior (to me), good powertrains, good looks.

Now unfortunately I've heard that the new Camry was shown to dealers this month and they HATED it and told Toyota they better go back to work.

Old 01-25-11, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We cannot compare GM to Toyota. Toyota actually ADMITTED mistakes and is trying to fix them.
The current GM Chairman has admitted a lot of past mistakes. His recent public conference several weeks ago, IMO, was quite impressive..........something I can't say for many of the people who have run that organization in the past. (I listened to the entire event).

I'm not sure that he has admitted a more recent (IMO) mistake, though......dumping Saturn. Saturn, IMO, should have been returned to the same superb, customer-pleasing, plastic-body small-car division it was in the 1990's, not just dumped altogether.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-11 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 09:32 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
1.) Much of the competition has cheap looking and/or feeling interiors. Is Toyota BEHIND the industry average in terms of interiors like GM was back in the 80s and 90s? GM interiors were some of the worst in the industry back then.

2.) Do you have any PROOF of this? Lots of proof says Toyota durability and reliability has remained stable or flat over the past several years.

3.) Compared to ... what brands exactly? Toyotas are some of the most straightforward cars to work on mechanically. Don't believe me? Go talk to as many mechanics as you can and then see what they say.

4.) Skyrocketing ... compared to what?
1) Compared to a Nissan Altima or Ford Fusion for starters. The Camry now has more hard plastic inside than those cars plus sneaky cost cutting measures are evident like shortened seat bottoms that compromise thigh support. Camry used to have sumptuous looking interiors, but not since 2007 and especially not since 1996.

2) Read Consumer Reports. Most Toyotas have declined in reliability from "much above average" to merely average or above average. The Camry V6
in 2007 was rated below average and the 4 cyl average. By 2010 the V6 had
improved only to average. Toyota dealership service bays have exploded in size because owners are having to take their cars to the dealership so often nowadays. Dealership service techs, especially the Mastertechs are making mega bucks from the service work they have now and so they own big homes, boats, etc. In the 70's and 80's Toyota service depts were lonely places because Toyotas rarely had mechanical problems that required dealership attention. Service techs back then made modest incomes.

3) Compared to Camry's of the past

4) Skyrocketing prices due to Toyota's standardizing of feature laden models. It's no longer possible to buy a plain Jane low priced Camry as it was in the 1990's. Toyotas are no longer cars that save the public money.

I'm saying these things not to put down Toyota, but only to explain why the Camry is not likely to be the top selling sedan by 2011 or 2012 or so.
Old 01-25-11, 09:38 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Now unfortunately I've heard that the new Camry was shown to dealers this month and they HATED it and told Toyota they better go back to work.
We'll have to wait to see it to believe it. God I hope it's not true.

I can't believe Toyota would mess up on the most important sedan in the world. Up until now they've always played it safe and designed it for the masses. I'd expect the same strategy except with a bit more passion.
Old 01-25-11, 09:39 AM
LexFather

The current GM Chairman has admitted a lot of past mistakes. His recent public conference several weeks ago, IMO, was quite impressive..........something I can't say for many of the people who have run that organization in the past. (I listened to the entire event).

I'm not sure that he has admitted a more recent (IMO) mistake, though......dumping Saturn. Saturn, IMO, should have been returned to the same superb, customer-pleasing, plastic-body small-car division it was in the 1990's, not just dumped altogether.
Took them 30 years and a bailout to admit mistakes. Toyota is much smarter, they even acknowledged before the biggest threat is Hyundai. They don't manage with goggles on.

1) Compared to a Nissan Altima or Ford Fusion for starters.
You make some good arguments but I'm going to have to dispute this one. The Ford Fusion's plastics are not much better and I assure you the Camry interior is still a full generation ahead of the Altima. My wife used to own one and while a good pedestrian car the interior was horrid in quality and materials and screamed cheap. Ergonomics were good though.

I really don't understand the bashing of the Camry interior, I think its fine for its price. It is better than the previous model and its not like there is an interior head and shoulders better than anyone in this class. The Sonata looks fresher and is more appealing to me but it still uses hard plastics. The Accord is my favorite to be honest and uses hard plastics. The Malibu is another solid interior that uses hard plastics.

Old 01-25-11, 11:49 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a bummer if true. I may have missed it, but when does the new Camry debut?
Old 01-25-11, 03:11 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

I assure you the Camry interior is still a full generation ahead of the Altima. I really don't understand the bashing of the Camry interior, I think its fine for its price.
If you rented a new Altima I think you might be surprized at how its interior is softer and richer as compared to a new Camry. I agree previous generations of Altimas were cheap looking and feeling inside, but the newest generation is remarkably improved as is its seat comfort, ride comfort and quietness. In fact, Consumer Reports rated the newest generation Altima as tops in its class and Ford Fusion was #2. Nissan Versa also beat the Toyota Yaris in interior comfort, ride comfort, etc. in Consumer Reports tests. And Toyota's Corolla didn't do very well in Consumer Reports tests either whereas in the 80's and 90's the Corolla was always a top scorer. All this evidence, taken together, signals a likely decline in Toyotas future share of the automotive market.

The bashing of the 2007 on up Camry interior comes mainly from us older Toyota loyalists who fondly remember how comfortable and luxurious previous generations of Camry's were, especially the 1983-1996 models.
Old 01-25-11, 03:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you rented a new Altima I think you might be surprized at how its interior is softer and richer as compared to a new Camry. I agree previous generations of Altimas were cheap looking and feeling inside, but the newest generation is remarkably improved as is its seat comfort, ride comfort and quietness. In fact, Consumer Reports rated the newest generation Altima as tops in its class and Ford Fusion was #2. Nissan Versa also beat the Toyota Yaris in interior comfort, ride comfort, etc. in Consumer Reports tests. And Toyota's Corolla didn't do very well in Consumer Reports tests either whereas in the 80's and 90's the Corolla was always a top scorer. All this evidence, taken together, signals a likely decline in Toyotas future share of the automotive market.

The bashing of the 2007 on up Camry interior comes mainly from us older Toyota loyalists who fondly remember how comfortable and luxurious previous generations of Camry's were, especially the 1983-1996 models.
I've been in a rental Altima for 4 weeks while my rear ended Camry is being repaired and finally done later this week.The Altima is no Camry when it come to smooth and quiet ride,not even close.The Altima is ride is busy and noisy.Interior quality stinks but I do have a base model.
I'm not a fan of the Altima at all.I do like the power of the 4 cyl,though.The car is quick with the four but the engine is very noisy.The CVT trans is nice too.
Old 01-25-11, 03:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumping Saturn after years of losing billions of dollar is no mistake for any company that wants to make a consistent profit (for a change). (lol-ed when that go brought up again).

IMO the last thing any leading car maker wants is a line of low quality gutless plasticky cars with unacceptable safety like the past plastic-bodied Saturns.

I find Toyota's approach over the years with the Camry to be a model of success in comparison to anything GM has done for 2 decades.
Old 01-25-11, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Dumping Saturn after years of losing billions of dollar is no mistake for any company that wants to make a consistent profit (for a change). (lol-ed when that go brought up again).

IMO the last thing any leading car maker wants is a line of low quality gutless plasticky cars with unacceptable safety like the past plastic-bodied Saturns.
I understand your views on this matter...we've discussed them before. Without getting too far off-topic, again I have to disagree. The plastic-bodied S-series had anything but unacceptable safety....that was one of the reasons (among several) for their great success. The space-frame, under the plastic panels, was extremely durable. I saw what was left of some that had been rolled/flipped several times and the occupants still walked away from them, with minimal injuries. The insurance companies loved them...you could see that in the extremely low rates they charged for Saturn S-series owners. And as for their "low quality", yes, they were plasticky, but their reliability rating, according to Consumer Reports, was consistantly above average, and, in the initial few years (1990-1995), ranked up with Toyota and Honda.

I can't think of an American-badged vehicle in my lifetime that produced more customer satisfaction for less money than the Saturn S-series. Over the years, I owned two of them myself.....an SL-2 sedan and a Special-Edition SC-2 coupe.

I find Toyota's approach over the years with the Camry to be a model of success in comparison to anything GM has done for 2 decades.
Again, I have to disagree, but only to an extent. GM has given us the current-generation Chevy Malibu....a car, that, IMO, outdoes the Camry in several areas. I find the Malibu, along with the new Buick LaCrosse, more impressive than almost anything I've seen from GM in years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-11 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered