Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Camry lose the sales crown in 2011?
Yes
16.92%
No
67.69%
I hope all the bad things in life happen to the Camry and only the Camry
7.69%
All hail Hyundai!
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Took them 30 years and a bailout to admit mistakes.
Oh, no doubt. I'm not denying that. But there's also no doubt, as I pointed out eariler, that the current GM Chairman is far more credible and impressive than his predecessors, especially Roger Smith and Bob Stempel, who, IMO, helped ruin the company and oversaw some of the worst vehicles they produced.

The top people at Toyota were also slow to admit mistakes....and lowering quality. We saw that in the 15 years (1994-2009) it took to finally make a full-size truck that was competitive with the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado....and when the CEO and other top officials were called to testify before Congress.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 06:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
1) Compared to a Nissan Altima or Ford Fusion for starters. The Camry now has more hard plastic inside than those cars plus sneaky cost cutting measures are evident like shortened seat bottoms that compromise thigh support. Camry used to have sumptuous looking interiors, but not since 2007 and especially not since 1996.

2) Read Consumer Reports. Most Toyotas have declined in reliability from "much above average" to merely average or above average. The Camry V6
in 2007 was rated below average and the 4 cyl average. By 2010 the V6 had
improved only to average. Toyota dealership service bays have exploded in size because owners are having to take their cars to the dealership so often nowadays. Dealership service techs, especially the Mastertechs are making mega bucks from the service work they have now and so they own big homes, boats, etc. In the 70's and 80's Toyota service depts were lonely places because Toyotas rarely had mechanical problems that required dealership attention. Service techs back then made modest incomes.

3) Compared to Camry's of the past

4) Skyrocketing prices due to Toyota's standardizing of feature laden models. It's no longer possible to buy a plain Jane low priced Camry as it was in the 1990's. Toyotas are no longer cars that save the public money.

I'm saying these things not to put down Toyota, but only to explain why the Camry is not likely to be the top selling sedan by 2011 or 2012 or so.
doesnt Toyota still have a lot more CR recommended models than anyone else?

It seems to me that you are picking and choosing here...
Old 01-25-11, 06:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Now unfortunately I've heard that the new Camry was shown to dealers this month and they HATED it and told Toyota they better go back to work.
there is no going back :-). But I dont think dealers are any sign of future success though... back in 2008, we had tears in our eyes when new Avensis Wagon was shown at dealer congress in Barcelona, everyone was cheering, etc, 3 years later... car failed to sell well :-)
Old 01-25-11, 10:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand your views on this matter...we've discussed them before. Without getting too far off-topic, again I have to disagree. The plastic-bodied S-series had anything but unacceptable safety....that was one of the reasons (among several) for their great success. The space-frame, under the plastic panels, was extremely durable. I saw what was left of some that had been rolled/flipped several times and the occupants still walked away from them, with minimal injuries. The insurance companies loved them...you could see that in the extremely low rates they charged for Saturn S-series owners. And as for their "low quality", yes, they were plasticky, but their reliability rating, according to Consumer Reports, was consistantly above average, and, in the initial few years (1990-1995), ranked up with Toyota and Honda.

I can't think of an American-badged vehicle in my lifetime that produced more customer satisfaction for less money than the Saturn S-series. Over the years, I owned two of them myself.....an SL-2 sedan and a Special-Edition SC-2 coupe.

I understand why you are a fan of the cars, actually having owned a couple. Not that anybody cares anymore. Yes the Saturn division started as a good idea but the history shows nothing but billions in losses, much of which US taxpayers are still on the hook for. The safety experts tested the early Saturns and gave them poor to fair ratings for safety. Surviving rollovers is easy and most sedans/coupes could accomplish that, crashes involving solid objects and safer cars was another story. Low insurance rates don't reflect low injury and death rates for these cars, they refect demographics of the buyers and the low dollar value claims because the cars were cheap to repair and were essentially disposable cars.

Cherry-picking out a the few reliable Saturn models from history is nice, but the overall brand reliabilty was subpar and typical of GM quality.

Saturn in the end became sad automotive history, because of poor follow-through and mostly crap products and they have the billions in audited losses to prove it. Sadly if that represents the best of GM (in your eyes at least), it's no wonder they went bankrupt. But I understand why you feel the way you do about Saturn, in the end the more demanding buyers went elsewhere. More on topic the same potential Saturn buyers ended up making cars like the Toyota Camry and Corrolla huge selling profitable successes.
Old 01-25-11, 10:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Thats a bummer if true. I may have missed it, but when does the new Camry debut?
It was headed to debut this summer/fall but dealers again hated it and told Toyota they got to do better. Not sure what/if Toyota will do anything.

If you rented a new Altima I think you might be surprized at how its interior is softer and richer as compared to a new Camry. I agree previous generations of Altimas were cheap looking and feeling inside, but the newest generation is remarkably improved as is its seat comfort, ride comfort and quietness. In fact, Consumer Reports rated the newest generation Altima as tops in its class and Ford Fusion was #2. Nissan Versa also beat the Toyota Yaris in interior comfort, ride comfort, etc. in Consumer Reports tests. And Toyota's Corolla didn't do very well in Consumer Reports tests either whereas in the 80's and 90's the Corolla was always a top scorer. All this evidence, taken together, signals a likely decline in Toyotas future share of the automotive market.

The bashing of the 2007 on up Camry interior comes mainly from us older Toyota loyalists who fondly remember how comfortable and luxurious previous generations of Camry's were, especially the 1983-1996 models.
It was a new current generation 2007 Altima and we looked at 2010s before replacing it. The interior is worst in class and not to sound snooty but I hated being inside. Loud, course, rough. Funny but it looked like my GS on the outside but that is all. I do agree it was better than the generation before it but that interior was laughable, as MT stated "it looks like a 15 year old Korean car" and this was in 2002 or so. (now the Murano/Maxima have Inifniti level interiors as Nissan has stepped it up).

I agree that Toyota/Honda are no longer the default winners in class like in the 80s and 90s. The competition has gotten better and Toyota/Honda haven't leaped like in the past. Ford, GM, Hyundai, Nissan, etc etc have all stepped it up.

Oh, no doubt. I'm not denying that. But there's also no doubt, as I pointed out eariler, that the current GM Chairman is far more credible and impressive than his predecessors, especially Roger Smith and Bob Stempel, who, IMO, helped ruin the company and oversaw some of the worst vehicles they produced.

The top people at Toyota were also slow to admit mistakes....and lowering quality. We saw that in the 15 years (1994-2009) it took to finally make a full-size truck that was competitive with the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado....and when the CEO and other top officials were called to testify before Congress.
I'm glad he is talking. Lets see them walking. In 15-20 years lets see how these new GM cars hold up and how the company is going. 1-3 years doesn't impress me, ESPECIALLY when you should have been like this in the first place.

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no going back :-). But I dont think dealers are any sign of future success though... back in 2008, we had tears in our eyes when new Avensis Wagon was shown at dealer congress in Barcelona, everyone was cheering, etc, 3 years later... car failed to sell well :-)
Oh its possible, just reporting findings.

Old 01-25-11, 11:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, like you, that they blew the styling on the latest model, but the Sonata has gotten a good reputation in the market lately. And people often buy simply on past reputations alone, ignoring what the car has become in the present. I also agree, however, that the Fusion also stands a chance. And the Fusion, unlike the Sonata, offers an AWD option.
The Sonata's reputation has improved yes, but the question is will it last? If sales keep steady over the next few years then we can say the reputation has definitely improved long-term. If Sonata sales drop once all the big competitors in the segment are redesigned, then I think we can conclude it was mostly hype and dated competitors that gave the current Sonata some initial hype and a sales spike.

We will have to see how the Sonata does in the future, especially against the upcoming redesigned competition.

We cannot compare GM to Toyota. Toyota actually ADMITTED mistakes and is trying to fix them. They are built on the idea of Kaizen, continuous improvement. We are not going to see Toyota basically suck for 30 years and need to be bailed out by the government. Toyota is far better managed than GM, even today.

I was one to think the Camry's days are numbered but looking at 2010, the toughest year for the car that I can remember it still was #1. The internet fanboi magazine darling Sonata didn't make a dent in Camry OR Accord sales. The Sonata is still way behind both.

The Camry continues to be a great car for most people, tons of room, good interior (to me), good powertrains, good looks.
Very well said. A lot of people jumping to conclusions, and assuming Toyota will continue to sit back. The sleeping giant has awakened so to speak.

Now unfortunately I've heard that the new Camry was shown to dealers this month and they HATED it and told Toyota they better go back to work.
That doesn't make much sense.

The new Camry was shown a few months ago at the US dealers meeting, and the word was that dealers really liked it. This directly contradicts the word that came out of the dealers meeting a few months back.

1) Compared to a Nissan Altima or Ford Fusion for starters. The Camry now has more hard plastic inside than those cars plus sneaky cost cutting measures are evident like shortened seat bottoms that compromise thigh support. Camry used to have sumptuous looking interiors, but not since 2007 and especially not since 1996.

2) Read Consumer Reports. Most Toyotas have declined in reliability from "much above average" to merely average or above average. The Camry V6
in 2007 was rated below average and the 4 cyl average. By 2010 the V6 had
improved only to average. Toyota dealership service bays have exploded in size because owners are having to take their cars to the dealership so often nowadays. Dealership service techs, especially the Mastertechs are making mega bucks from the service work they have now and so they own big homes, boats, etc. In the 70's and 80's Toyota service depts were lonely places because Toyotas rarely had mechanical problems that required dealership attention. Service techs back then made modest incomes.

3) Compared to Camry's of the past

4) Skyrocketing prices due to Toyota's standardizing of feature laden models. It's no longer possible to buy a plain Jane low priced Camry as it was in the 1990's. Toyotas are no longer cars that save the public money.

I'm saying these things not to put down Toyota, but only to explain why the Camry is not likely to be the top selling sedan by 2011 or 2012 or so.
1.) Ford and Nissan with the Fusion and Altima did cost cutting measures in their own ways. Can you point to specific concrete examples regarding the Camry vs. the competition? Seat bottoms on Toyotas are still better than much of the industry, especially Honda, which is notorious for short seat bottoms. Camry has BEST-in-class rear seating, complete with reclining rear seats. So where is this so-called "sneaky" cost cutting in the rear seating area? Yes Toyota plastics have gone down in quality, but this is different from reliability and durability of Toyota vehicles. If you want to talk about which car among the Camry, Altima, and Fusion will have the fewest problems and hold up 10 years down the road, if I had to bet, I would bet the Camry above the Altima and Fusion.

2.) In the 70s? Really? A lot of Toyota models in the 70s had bad rust problems, and 70s Toyota models are very, very rare because so many of them simply rusted away. It was only in the 80s that Toyota reliability really reached the legendary levels it has been known for.

Yes Toyota models have gone down somewhat in Consumer Reports, but CR still recommends A LOT of Toyota models. Also, warranty claims for Toyota have gone down over the past 10 years, not up. If Toyota reliability and durability was declining, then warranty rates would be increasing, not decreasing. This excludes the recall business last year, as I'm sure that probably affected warranty rates.

3.) Compared to past Camry models? Cars in general are becoming more complex, both mechanically and electronically. You cannot expect mechanical complexity to remain the same over decades. If we compare this to 1960's Toyota models, those were extremely simple mechanically-speaking, but would it be fair to compare them to modern cars? Of course not. Looking at the industry right now OVERALL, Toyotas are STILL some of the easiest in the industry to work on mechanically.

Like I said, talk to some mechanics. I have, and they all say the same thing about Toyotas; even new Toyota models are straightforward to work on mechanically.

4.) This myth has been debunked several times before.

Fact: a 1995 BASE MODEL DX Camry had an MSRP of $16,418 back in 1995. Adjusted to inflation to say 2010, this would be about $23,491. Let's look at the base price of a 2011 Camry shall we? Base MSRP for a 2011 Camry is $19,820. Even the popular 2011 Camry LE model has a base MSRP of $21,275.

That's not even mentioning the fact that you get a lot of features, and safety on a new Camry that the 90s Camry never had.

What was that you were saying about "skyrocketing" prices? Would you care to perhaps revise your argument? I'd love for you to come back and post at the end of 2011 and again at the end of 2012. I'm willing to bet you'll be wrong.

The bashing of the 2007 on up Camry interior comes mainly from us older Toyota loyalists who fondly remember how comfortable and luxurious previous generations of Camry's were, especially the 1983-1996 models.
You get what you pay for though, why don't some of you Toyota loyalists understand this simple concept ?

The 90s Camry models were MORE expensive, relative to the dollar value back then. In other words, the MSRP of 90s Camrys adjusted to inflation today makes the base MSRP of those models several thousand US dollars MORE expensive than the 2011 Camry.

Yes, while in some ways the 90s Camry was better, it was also more expensive for the time. Specifically, if you look at the base MSRP of the V6 Camry in the 90s, and adjust it for inflation to today's dollars, it would cost about the same as a new Avalon! Now surely, I can't imagine Toyota loyalists trying to claim a 90s Camry was more luxurious and comfortable than a brand new Avalon.

This is similar to how some Toyota loyalists complain about the Avalon and how it's not as good as the Cressida was. Cressida base MSRP in 1992 was $24,428. Adjusted to 2010 dollars, that is roughly $37,966. That is Lexus pricing. The Cressida in terms of quality and luxury was basically a Lexus without the Lexus badge.

Like I said, you get what you pay for. Everything is relative.

I love Cressidas and I love the 90s Camry models, but I am not going to pretend they cost the same for the time back then as they would now, taking into account inflation. Cressidas back then sold almost for Lexus money, and Camry models back then basically sold for Avalon money.
Old 01-25-11, 11:14 PM
LexFather

^^ Hey just reporting what I heard. Maybe it was a regional meeting and not national? I have yet to get any solid info outside the Entune system I reported months ago.

Old 01-25-11, 11:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Hey just reporting what I heard. Maybe it was a regional meeting and not national? I have yet to get any solid info outside the Entune system I reported months ago.
Thanks for the news in any case .

I think that is likely, regional meeting vs a national meeting. There could definitely be subjective differences in taste, especially comparing certain regions to others.

It's amazing how tight news has been on the new Camry. When the current dated model debuted years ago, we had already seen leaked photos of the model months before. Toyota has implemented some Fort Knox-style security it seems.
Old 01-25-11, 11:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

2) Toyota service bays have exploded because Toyota is selling a zillion more cars compared to yesteryear. The more cars you sell, the more cars come in for service, the busier the technicians become (the more money they make). The increase in business is in no way because the cars are breaking down.
Old 01-25-11, 11:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
2) Toyota service bays have exploded because Toyota is selling a zillion more cars compared to yesteryear. The more cars you sell, the more cars come in for service, the busier the technicians become (the more money they make). The increase in business is in no way because the cars are breaking down.
Very good point I forgot about . Toyota in the 70s and 80s sold a tiny amount of cars compared to now.
Old 01-26-11, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Very good point I forgot about . Toyota in the 70s and 80s sold a tiny amount of cars compared to now.
Toyota's popularity, in the U.S., actually started expending rapidly in the 1970s, particularly the late 70s, as more and more Americans grew weary of the comparably low quality of domestically-designed vehicles. Honda's popularity, despite the success of the original late-70s Accord, did not really get going until several years later, in the 1980s.

A classic ad by Chevy/Geo (and I remember it well) was...."In the Seventies, you got to know Toyota. In the Eighties, you got to know Honda. In the Nineties, you'll get to know Geo".
Old 01-26-11, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota's popularity, in the U.S., actually started expending rapidly in the 1970s, particularly the late 70s, as more and more Americans grew weary of the comparably low quality of domestically-designed vehicles. Honda's popularity, despite the success of the original late-70s Accord, did not really get going until several years later, in the 1980s.

A classic ad by Chevy/Geo (and I remember it well) was...."In the Seventies, you got to know Toyota. In the Eighties, you got to know Honda. In the Nineties, you'll get to know Geo".
Yes, but as he said only a small number of cars were sold in the US in the 70's and 80's when compared to today. Or in other words, US market share for Toyota was much smaller back then (as a percentage of total US sales) and Toyota was not dominant in the US market like it is today. Agreed, in the 80's Honda was the preferred brand for those seeking a bit more of a drivers car, I owned several back then.

btw, good example of the failed Geo advertising.
Old 01-26-11, 01:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Didn't Honda's first big success in the US come from the 70s Civic?
Old 01-26-11, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Didn't Honda's first big success in the US come from the 70s Civic?
The 1975 Civic CVCC -engine (there was also a version with a conventional 4-cylinder) was the first vehicle to meet 1975 emission standards without a catalyst or the need to use more expensive unleaded fuel, and, for that reason, it enjoyed some popularity. But its miniscule size (smaller than today's Mini), relatively poor crash-protection, poor start-up/cold engine drivability with the ultra-lean fuel mixture, and noisy, uncomfortable ride all worked against it. But, to be fair, carburator drivability problems in the Emission Age weren't really solved until EFI became standard in the late 1980's.

It took the first Accord, in 1976, though, to really open the public's eyes to what Honda could accomplish with their designs. The Accord, even with carburator/drivability problems and body rust, was a smash hit since Day One, and has continued to be an automotive icon ever since.

Let's not get too far off-topic, though. We were originally talking about the Camry's popularity, and how long it might (or might not) remain as the #1-selling American-market passenger car.
Old 01-26-11, 05:35 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

As of right now, I'd go with the Elantra and Sonata over a Corolla and Camry.

Quick Reply: The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered