Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will Camry lose the sales crown in 2011?
Yes
16.92%
No
67.69%
I hope all the bad things in life happen to the Camry and only the Camry
7.69%
All hail Hyundai!
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

The Toyota Camry's days at No. 1 may be numbered

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, in the 80's Honda was the preferred brand for those seeking a bit more of a drivers car, I owned several back then.
I agree to some extent as far as a strict Honda-Toyota comparison goes, but that was the case even more with the Mazdas of the period...particularly the first RX-7 sports car and later GLC/323 sedans/hatchbacks. Mazda coined the term "Kanzai Engineering"...which was aimed at being a delight to the drivers' senses. And it was......Mazda, back then, gained the reputation as the "Poor Man's BMW", despite the fact that some Mazda sedans were FWD. Like you, I owned several Mazdas myself back then, in the 80s and early 90s....and liked all of them.

btw, good example of the failed Geo advertising.
Smart buyers, though, actually bought the Chevy Nova and later Geo Prizm, because, being rebadged Corollas, they both offered Toyota quality, through Chevy dealerships, for a lower sticker-price, and, in the import-restricted 1980's, less chance of a dealer mark-up. The down-side, though, was somewhat greater depreciation compared to the Corolla itself.....the Nova and Prizm weren't as popular in the used-car marketplace.
Old 01-26-11, 06:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Smart buyers, though, actually bought the Chevy Nova and later Geo Prizm, because, being rebadged Corollas, they both offered Toyota quality, through Chevy dealerships, for a lower sticker-price, and, in the import-restricted 1980's, less chance of a dealer mark-up. The down-side, though, was somewhat greater depreciation compared to the Corolla itself.....the Nova and Prizm weren't as popular in the used-car marketplace.
I disagree, smart buyers bought the Corolla. Unlike most less knowledgeable buyers, smart buyers understood that depreciation was the biggest single cost factor in a normal car ownership experience. The unfortunate Chevy Nova and GM Prizm new car owners selling these cars after both models were discontinued got hammered the hardest.

Not so offtopic, the Camry has excellent resale value in it's class.