Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Axes the Element

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can't just go *****-Nilly with the hose, though, when cleaning out the interior. Despite the waterproof floor-lining and seat upholstery, you still don't want to get water up under the dash where it could short out the wiring and instruments...or under the seats where it can corrode things like the seat-frames/structures.
Uhhh like no kidding, that's why he said "No problem...spray out the back and you're good to go again." (Dash is not in back, it's up front).

No different in that regard than a Wrangler for example, spraying up front into the dash is a bad idea.
Old 12-07-10, 11:05 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's ugly and inefficient. Good bye.
Old 12-07-10, 12:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I think the Element is quite okay. Too bad Honda had to kill it

IMHO, they should've killed the Ridge Line instead.....

^^^
Damn fugly
Old 12-07-10, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Uhhh like no kidding, that's why he said "No problem...spray out the back and you're good to go again." (Dash is not in back, it's up front).

No different in that regard than a Wrangler for example, spraying up front into the dash is a bad idea.
Yes, I agree.....but that wasn't what I was getting at. I've seen people do exactly that with Wranglers, though...especially with bare-metal floors. They just don't (seem) to think abut what they are actually doing.
Old 12-07-10, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Back more on topic, with the Element gone, it's a shame ......I can't think of any other vehcle in the U.S. market that will truly replace it, though a few come fairly close. The Toyota FJ Cruiser is probably the next-best choice, although it is truck-based, more of a true off-roader, less fuel-efficient, and more complex/expensive.

A number of smaller car-based SUVs are similiar to the Element in size/power/AWD, but don't have quite as versatile interiors or rubber-lined floors for easy clean-up.
Old 12-07-10, 02:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I'd like to see the Element replaced with something better ideally. It's too bad they had to let sales slide due to neglect from a product development standpoint.

The closest thing for a rugged interior (and it's not very close) is the strong-selling Wrangler. Toyota may have to make a similar decision with the FJ Cruiser given it's low sales numbers too.