Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Axes the Element

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 06:45 AM
LexFather

Post Honda Axes the Element

Honda they just stated though it didn't meet sales goals it would live on. Now its canceled. More talking out of their ***. Hopefully this is a trend of canceling all that ugly they sell

Honda axes the Element
2009 Honda Element

Ends a nine year production run

email print Share7
By Michael Gauthier
December 6, 2010 9:00 am
Filed Under: Honda, Japanese, Production

Citing declining demand and a consumer preference for crossovers, Honda has announced plans to axe the Element after a nine year production run.
While the move isn't unexpected, it is interesting to note Honda won't offer a direct replacement for the Element. Instead, customers will be shifted to the CR-V which is more powerful and fuel efficient.
According to John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, "The Element proved that ultimate functionality can often come from thinking inside the box. It made boxy vehicle designs cool, and Element owners continue to enjoy its unique styling and unmatched versatility."
If you're saddened by the news, rest assured, Honda still has some Elements available and they're priced from $20,825.

Source: Honda
Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11012062...#ixzz17RAM5usR

Old 12-07-10, 07:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats a shame, the Element is actually a nice little SUV. I guess the starting price might be a bit too high for what it is.
Old 12-07-10, 07:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad. But being based on prior gen CRV probably made production more trouble than it's worth.
Old 12-07-10, 07:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's an odd car placed between the CRV and Pilot.

If I were a Honda customer, I'd sway toward those two, not the Element.
Old 12-07-10, 08:09 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

my gf and i test drove all three (CR-V, element, pilot), and of all of them she felt that she would have chosen the latter two. the CR-V felt small for her, while the ample room in the element and the full sized suv feel of the pilot felt was just right for her. my personal opinion- with the element gone, there's not another boxy type utilty vehicle other than the scion xB, which i've seen far more on the road than the element since it came into the market.
Old 12-07-10, 08:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The initial Element was really ugly, but the S/C model was actually pretty decent.

We have to remember that the Element is old so it doesn't make sense for Honda to keep producing them. They came out 8 years ago as a 2003 model so by any manufacturer's standard, 7-8 years is a long lifespan.
Old 12-07-10, 08:30 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It started life as a cut-down, decontented CRV, aimed at the youth market, but it became - with a little less hair-shirt economy - a favorite low-cost suburban runabout. The problem was marketing as with increasing content and the elimination of those egregiously cheap rubber fenders, it began to tickle the low-end CRV's sticker price. The CRV is even more of a bargain than it once was, still at a fairly friendly price - and there just isn't room for an enhanced Element under it.

Although the Element was never as popular as it's older stablemate, it's being squeezed between the CRV from the top and the XB/Soul clones below. Without much manuvering room, it's logical that it has to go - probably in favor of something slightly smaller.
Old 12-07-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Element may be awkward-looking, but it is an excellent, versatile, reliable, easy-to-clean daily-driver that, with the AWD option, can go through just about any kind of weather as well. One of my closest friends and his wife had had one for years...it was one of the early-production models. They still love it.

It is, of course, mechanically, essentially a CR-V with a different, roomier, more-versatile body-interior.
Old 12-07-10, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
We have to remember that the Element is old so it doesn't make sense for Honda to keep producing them. They came out 8 years ago as a 2003 model so by any manufacturer's standard, 7-8 years is a long lifespan.
I disagree that time-in-production is (or should be) that big a factor. Look how long, for example, the Civic and Accord have been in production......although, of course, they sell in much larger numbers than the Element.
Old 12-07-10, 09:10 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Element may be awkward-looking, but it is an excellent, versatile, reliable, easy-to-clean daily-driver that, with the AWD option, can go through just about any kind of weather as well. One of my closest friends and his wife had had one for years...it was one of the early-production models. They still love it.

It is, of course, mechanically, essentially a CR-V with a different, roomier, more-versatile body-interior.
+1

While the looks of the Element are not it's strong suit, there are very few vehicles that have the versitility of one. We have a couple of friends that have them and if you're one of those very active, outdoorsy types, that they originally marketed towards, this is a brilliant vehicle.

Filthy dog after a day of hiking? Mud caked mountain bikes? Landscaping the back yard? No problem...spray out the back and you're good to go again.
Old 12-07-10, 09:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree that time-in-production is (or should be) that big a factor. Look how long, for example, the Civic and Accord have been in production......although, of course, they sell in much larger numbers than the Element.
The Civic and Accord follow a 5 year lifespan which isn't long at all. It's practically the norm for the compact and midsize segment. The Element is at 7 years going on 8, and as sales continue to decline, it doesn't make sense to keep the old SUV.
Old 12-07-10, 09:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I actually like the Element and don't consider it to be ugly (at least in later versions with matching panels/paint). The Element is popular in CA for the many reasons mentioned above, good for active outdoorsy lifestyles.

It's not the age of the Element that's the problem for Honda, it's the fact that it is previous gen-based, and probably expensive to produce considering the low sales volume.

The correct solution is a new version based on current and better CRV (which came out in model year 2007). I think it would generate better volume than old Element. IMO the CRV would be an excellent basis for a new Element. I consider the current CRV to be the best small 4-banger SUV in the US market and that's why it's the top selling SUV.
Old 12-07-10, 09:44 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good riddance.

That said, Honda could have redesigned it into a more appealing box shaped vehicle. However, based on Honda's recent trend, they'd manage to make an uglier one.

There's still a number of choices, although maybe not as rugged and versatile including Scion xB & Nissan Cube, however smaller and lower to the ground. Other than that, you're left with conventional crossover's or a regular SUV.
Old 12-07-10, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
filthy dog after a day of hiking? Mud caked mountain bikes? Landscaping the back yard? No problem...spray out the back and you're good to go again.
You can't just go *****-Nilly with the hose, though, when cleaning out the interior. Despite the waterproof floor-lining and seat upholstery, you still don't want to get water up under the dash where it could short out the wiring and instruments...or under the seats where it can corrode things like the seat-frames/structures.
Old 12-07-10, 09:59 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
+1

While the looks of the Element are not it's strong suit, there are very few vehicles that have the versitility of one. We have a couple of friends that have them and if you're one of those very active, outdoorsy types, that they originally marketed towards, this is a brilliant vehicle.

Filthy dog after a day of hiking? Mud caked mountain bikes? Landscaping the back yard? No problem...spray out the back and you're good to go again.
Originally Posted by IS-SV
I actually like the Element and don't consider it to be ugly (at least in later versions with matching panels/paint). The Element is popular in CA for the many reasons mentioned above, good for active outdoorsy lifestyles.

The correct solution is a new version based on current and better CRV (which came out in model year 2007). I think it would generate better volume than old Element. IMO the CRV would be an excellent basis for a new Element. I consider the current CRV to be the best small 4-banger SUV in the US market and that's why it's the top selling SUV.
I agree.
Out of the honda cars, I like the element, inside and out.

It is the perfect cuv for the outdoorsy types-I love the seat configurations and versatility

Pricewise, it's more expensive than the xB and we saw a fullllly decked out that was in the high $28k

Quick Reply: Honda Axes the Element