Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Detained!
NOT GUILTY!
14.29%
Damnit, check the dope in the tires!!!
4.08%
Similar has happened to me
10.20%
Send his ass to Gitmo Bay, no trial, nothing, imagine a world with no more of his posts!
12.24%
Cops just doing their job
10.20%
Sue dude, then buy a LFA with the winnings and post a video on youtube
16.33%
Its some new profiling, hybrid profiling, you fit the smug
8.16%
Stop smuggling Goats
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

So I was detained recently and had my car searched...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 03:30 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude that sux...this guy they were lookin for must have been one dangerous fella or u must be one scary lookin mothaf****. me and 2 of my friends...all white guys not that it matters at all, got pulled over in my friends beat down 88 corolla because we matched the description of some bank robbers or whatever....it was two cops, no one ever got cuffed, they searched the car for 5 minutes and let us go....
Old 12-08-10, 03:31 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why you need to stop wearing contacts!

I was such a bad *** in highschool, but I wore glasses, I once waltz out of the cafeteria after a fight cuz the teachers screening at the door wouldn't believe I was involved when some kid ratted me out lol
Old 12-08-10, 04:57 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to jail if they ever search my car. But then, I am not a minority. I am just an Asian in California.
Old 12-08-10, 05:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

sorry this had to happen to you. must've been a long 20 minutes. not sure what they were looking for. it was funny how perplexed those cops were about the hybrid battery in the rear. lol. but way to keep your composure through all of that stress. never heard of anyone getting pulled over in a hybrid before...
Old 12-08-10, 05:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

They weren't looking for you when they had conveniently positioned themselves at your car and every point of the building. They were looking for the owner of a "XXXXXXX car". They didn't know you owned it when it first caught their attention. They surely did a few minutes after though when they ran your tags for the DMV photo, but that was after the fact they investigated a particular car, now with a black male driver as they have learned. I think the car is what was suspect, not you. You just happened to fall into the search for a BM in an L. They found the L, then found it belonged to a BM. They ya got popped.

We have preachers molesting kids, wife's shooting guards to break husbands out of jail, it's a Fk'ed up world out there and let me tell you nobody is safe from the police. They know ANYONE can take their *** out and in ATL I wouldn't trust ANYONE with my life if my job were to get shot at by people I am trying to arrest.

Everyone feels violated when they get involved with a traffic stop. I've been pulled out of a Mercedes and made to sit on a curb at sobriety checkpoint as a "randomly selected" person for a search. My ex wife was in front of me in the Sc400 and they let her go WITHOUT A DAMN BREATHALYZER AT ALL. "let the cute little girl through".

Anyone with a set of nuts is the enemy to the po-po. I think most profiling is by gender, more than race these days.
Old 12-08-10, 05:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Just like I said in Veral's thread...

Sounds like the APD at their finest! There's a reason nobody in this city has any respect for law enforcement.
Old 12-08-10, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone...

Originally Posted by projectdna
he's no ordinary thug. he's SUPERthug.

DJ, drop that beat, yo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLMr...eature=related

/OT

sorry to hear what happened. i'm surprised you remained that calm throughout the whole fiasco.
War Report (CApone and Noreaga) classic

Originally Posted by Rolexus600
Wow, sorry to hear of the incident. Don't ever feel like you shouldn't flex a little mental muscle when they search your car three times over. It would make me feel like they WANT to find something. You ever get the feeling you are presumed GUILTY until proven INNOCENT?

A few months back, I was detained outside of a supermarket by a scrawny member of the loss prevention department. I complied because I knew I had done nothing wrong and thought it would be a quick matter and not a drawn-out ordeal. Within moments, the police arrive. Apparently there were shoplifters apprehended in the store and it was unclear if I had entered the store while appearing like I was part of their group or they thought they saw me speaking to them or whatever the case was. They weren't exactly clear. The police arrived and they hit me with 2 questions at once. The first question was within a second of the other and I answered "I don't think so". This response happened as cop #2 was asking "do you have any weapons on you?". Well...just my luck. I was searched 4 times. I explained that they asked me 2 questions at once. I even said "boy, you REALLY want me to have a weapon on me, don't you?". I'm in my 30's, I'm not a minority and they had no idea what I drove but Italian-americans do get profiled here and it doesn't offend me really. But it became offensive when I got the impression they wanted me. I understand they have a job to do and I didn't take it personally but...c'mon...4 times???

I was cuffed and I was in a neighborhood where I do business. I was in a room with a door open to foot-traffic. If any clients had seen me with metal to my wrists there would have been repercussions for me. The store staff was worse than the police though. They were blatantly accusing me of fencing goods to "bodegas" and a staff member even took a photo of me in cuffs with his cell phone. Even with the police there I became very irate and told them I will sue and sue and sue and sue until they named the store after me. Luckily, one officer told him to erase the photo, which I can only assume he did.

They did let me go within about 45 minutes or so after they reviewed tapes and whatnot. They would not even let me see the monitor. I did receive a fine for having 2 copies of my driver's license on me. The police did apologize for "having" to write the ticket to me (one officer being far more reasonable than the other) but I did, out of anger, make an off-color remark about the guy who detained me and how if he had been in the hospital with a broken jaw I'd be $150 richer. I don't recommend this!!!!!

It sounds like you were more than compliant and kept your cool longer than I did. Did you get any recognition for cooperating???

Michael
Thanks for sharing your story.

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Dude they thought you were a drug dealer and not a car enthusiast because you AINT got one of these on the back of your car!!!

I could not resist...

What were you driving at the time? I would laugh hard if it was the RX... I mean its a vehicle that I automatically associate with a tougher crowd.

HEEYYYYY

Well sounds like they guy they were looking for did something interesting.. Too bad you never found out.

But seriously these stories are just one of the crapy things about life especially when the cops have reasonable cause.. All bets tend to be out the window. And they tend to be very unprofessional when they are searching. Its amazing that any crimes are solved.
If I had a S badge they would figure I am from NJ with the I.Q of a fig.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
They weren't looking for you when they had conveniently positioned themselves at your car and every point of the building. They were looking for the owner of a "XXXXXXX car". They didn't know you owned it when it first caught their attention. They surely did a few minutes after though when they ran your tags for the DMV photo, but that was after the fact they investigated a particular car, now with a black male driver as they have learned. I think the car is what was suspect, not you. You just happened to fall into the search for a BM in an L. They found the L, then found it belonged to a BM. They ya got popped.

We have preachers molesting kids, wife's shooting guards to break husbands out of jail, it's a Fk'ed up world out there and let me tell you nobody is safe from the police. They know ANYONE can take their *** out and in ATL I wouldn't trust ANYONE with my life if my job were to get shot at by people I am trying to arrest.

Everyone feels violated when they get involved with a traffic stop. I've been pulled out of a Mercedes and made to sit on a curb at sobriety checkpoint as a "randomly selected" person for a search. My ex wife was in front of me in the Sc400 and they let her go WITHOUT A DAMN BREATHALYZER AT ALL. "let the cute little girl through".

Anyone with a set of nuts is the enemy to the po-po. I think most profiling is by gender, more than race these days.
I'm not accusing them of profiling and again I'm not upset, sharing my story. Couldn't just be the car b/c again, I was literally paced by the police car BEFORE I got to my car.

My GSh is debadged up front and I was reverse parked. Unless its a car guy he could assume its a Lexus but no way they could read my plate, maybe they could see the rear big Lexus badge on the trunk but they would have to really get behind the car to see it.

Again after talking to people and making some observations there is more than I care to mention.

Originally Posted by malujerry
my worst experience... handcuffed on a curb, the water sprinklers went off behind me. i asked to move over and the cop replied "no" and i hear him tell his partner out loud "he's a wet back anyways". i'm indian but i was young, dressed like a thug, and was always up to no good. (that day i was speeding, not that it warranted such a racist comment - but it's just another reason for them to pull me over)

now when i get pulled over and i'm in my scrubs with my stethoscope and other medical supplies - it's a totally different experience than when i'm in my jeans. i even blatantly ran a red light the other night leaving my hospital, got pulled over, and as soon as the cop saw who i was, he let me go.

so anyways my point is.... even though it's not right, sometimes image plays a part.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 12-08-10, 07:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought they had to have probable cause? Still , I would look into legal help to see what your options are.
Old 12-08-10, 08:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Couldn't just be the car b/c again, I was literally paced by the police car BEFORE I got to my car.
You think he already seen your DMV pic and knew you were headed that way? I have to try to find some justification in some way before I go straight to conspiracy theory.

Unless its a car guy he could assume its a Lexus
There are some stupid cops out there that write down whatever is on the trunk, but if you pull over 30 cars a day you tend to know what is what. I was actually implying he DID check your plate after finding a suspect car, run your tag to the DMV, and pulled your pic from the DMV which would put him looking for you and following you just like you said.

Let's face it, you don't look suspect. There are a lot of people there that look a lot more suspect than you, comparatively you're well above the thuggish line they would be harassing just for kicks. You don't look like you're strung out on drugs, or a dope dealer (did you get a new set of grillz I don't know about, mike?), and you're riding clean. I don't see how they could be messing with you based on YOU, so I still think maybe the car was suspect to something stolen or a dealer driving a similar car in some way.

All I know is I never get any slack from PD either and there are very few I TRUST.
Old 12-08-10, 10:19 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1sicklex; for some reason i thought u were a white dude in his 40's. haha

well anyway sucks to hear that that happened, glad everything worked out in the end.
Old 12-08-10, 11:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow you sure kept your cool Mike. I would probably be so nervous that I'll look suspicious. But ya I think just because you fit the description of a suspect doesn't mean they can handcuff you. Or they should offer a "mishandcuffing fee" for handcuffing a wrong person.
Old 12-09-10, 12:44 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

You did the right thing. If you reacted like a hot-head, it would have only made the situation worse. The best thing to do is just go along with the program and it will be over and done. Good job.
Old 12-09-10, 02:56 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did anyone film this on their cell phone? I wanna see all this played out on youtube.
Old 12-09-10, 04:27 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm amazed at you composure, I don't think I could remain cool if they insisted on hand-cuffing me.

What would have been the down side of asking them to present you with a search warrant? I know you have nothing to hide, but it would at least force them to do their leg work and acquire the proper documentation. Not to mention, I would have loved to have known the reason for the detain / search.
Old 12-09-10, 07:06 AM
Koma

If I ever get profiled it's because I look like me and they're looking for me.

I don't know many Asians with lip piercings and a very visible sleeve tattoo. So if they're looking for a mid-twenties Asian guy with lip piercings and a sleeve tattoo on his right arm than they're probably looking for me and I probably deserve to get caught. Luckily, I'm a law abiding citizen and they wouldn't be looking for a dude like me (unless I get framed).

Overall, I think you handled it the way you wanted to. Personally, I wouldn't have agreed to hand-cuffs, if they checked me for weapons that should be enough to show that I'm not going to be able to do them much harm. The hand-cuffs are degrading and if someone saw me in handcuffs that I knew, that would ruin my reputation. From the police's standpoint I understand they want to cover their asses and not get hurt, although it seems they detained you for a while longer than necessary.

Quick Reply: So I was detained recently and had my car searched...