Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Detained!
NOT GUILTY!
14.29%
Damnit, check the dope in the tires!!!
4.08%
Similar has happened to me
10.20%
Send his ass to Gitmo Bay, no trial, nothing, imagine a world with no more of his posts!
12.24%
Cops just doing their job
10.20%
Sue dude, then buy a LFA with the winnings and post a video on youtube
16.33%
Its some new profiling, hybrid profiling, you fit the smug
8.16%
Stop smuggling Goats
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

So I was detained recently and had my car searched...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 08:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Should have told the cops you just left a class on illegal search and seizures : Bummer they did that to you. It was excessive. I applaud you for keeping your cool.
Old 12-09-10, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

They apologized for your inconvienence and detainment. I would just accept the apology, forget about it, go on with your life, and not concern yourself with any rebuttals or "getting back" at them. Life's too short.

Only Marv Albert would like the cuffs like this.
A little off-topic, but his girl friend Vanessa (the one that made the national news) lived in my town-house development, just a few hundred feet from my front door. She moved away after the story broke.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-10 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 10:18 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's crazy... good thing you kept your composure... I've seen some things get outta hand real fast for no good reason.
Old 12-09-10, 02:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again after talking to people and making some observations there is more than I care to mention.
Orly? You hiding something from us Mike? Let me guess, was this the cop that got you detained and put you into those cuffs?

Old 12-09-10, 03:22 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What city/county department of idiots was it?

Good luck, it turned out out to be nothing. Still a pain in the *** either way.

I've always been of the mind to never let them search my car, if they ask. They had reason, they wouldn't have to ask my permission. Get the dog or a warrant but I"m not going to make your job easier for you.
Old 12-09-10, 03:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Orly? You hiding something from us Mike? Let me guess, was this the cop that got you detained and put you into those cuffs?
yeah, but he had to cancel and call it off when the wifey called on the cell

maybe you should call back on those to cops to see if they ever caught the guy and if he "really resembles" you
Old 12-09-10, 03:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Should have talked about the Lexus planetary gear setup. Cops know criminals aren't into those sort of things
Old 12-09-10, 03:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool cuffs, the extra measure of comfort is special.
Old 12-09-10, 05:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That's interesting. I find it intriguing that years later people still don't understand hybrids.

It sucks being targeted. I have only been pulled over once. I was going the speed limit on the PA turnpike at night. The cop followed me for about 3 miles before turning on his lights. To profile, I am white male in the bottom half of his 20s (not for long) with a red car. I was pulled over for my Penn State Alum license plate frame, which is prevalent throughout the state. After several minutes the officer returned and told me that I could go and once I had reached my destination I needed to take the frame off.

I was unhappy about this stop for some time. Like you, it didn't make sense, nor did it feel very good. If anything it wasted my time. It has happened to my brother too and once to my dad years ago when he was sporting his yellow Prelude. But, I guess I can sleep easier knowing that people randomly get stopped and checked...maybe.?
Old 12-09-10, 06:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
u must be one scary lookin mothaf****.
yes.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Anyone with a set of nuts is the enemy to the po-po.
lol

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I'm amazed at you composure, I don't think I could remain cool if they insisted on hand-cuffing me.
practice makes perfect.

Originally Posted by ndk83
1sicklex; for some reason i thought u were a white dude in his 40's. haha
he could pass for that too.

seriously though, way to go for keeping cool in a very stressful situation.
Old 12-09-10, 06:40 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

You handled it pretty well, after 20 minutes of them searching and searching I would start getting a little upset. It shouldn't take more than several minutes to confirm whether you're the supposed guy they're looking for.

Maybe they were looking for a goat and they figured that detaining the goat-whisperer would bring the goat out of hiding
Old 12-09-10, 07:19 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry to hear about your experience mike! geez, i wonder if they would pull me over if they spotted my car?

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I was pulled over for my Penn State Alum license plate frame, which is prevalent throughout the state. After several minutes the officer returned and told me that I could go and once I had reached my destination I needed to take the frame off.
why is it wrong to have a penn state alum license plate frame? it just shows you graduated from penn state?!?!
Old 12-09-10, 09:14 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Sucks that it happened, but they do have a responsibility to be thorough. In the end, the inconvenience is all that happened and that's good.

Originally Posted by MashinA
u must be one scary lookin mothaf****
Yes, they typically don't like it when they feel like you could squash them.

I was "interacting" with a local PD here on a very minor issue, and of them asked for my ID. When I asked why he would need that since the matter was largely resolved, one of the others (across my car) barked at me "Just give him the ID" and started reaching toward his taser. I looked at him and said "Take it easy there, speedy. There is no need to put your fingers anywhere near that." He didn't like that at all, and tried to start coming around the car when the 3rd cop intervened and stopped him. I started to reach into my jacket when the first cop took a half step back. I cautioned him that it was in my inner pocket in a clip, and he could reach it if he wanted to. He said no, that it was fine, and I slowly grabbed it out for him. He wrote down my info, and we proceeded without incident to part ways.

Not thrilled with the thought of Mr. Trigger Happy having control of a taser, and concerned that his next interaction might be different and he'd use it on another innocent person, I contacted the department. I asked to speak with the desk sergeant, and was routed to him. Low and behold, it was the smallest of the three I had just left. He proceeded to get very belligerent, tell me that he should have allowed him to tase me, and that he should have arrested me for disturbing the peace. I informed him that this wasn't the proper course, nor legal, and that I'd be in touch. Now, this man knows me from nothing, and had exactly no information about me. I, however, know his chief, the city prosecutors, county prosecutors, and a few others.

I contacted the chief directly, who proceeded to apologize and said, "You have to understand that someone of your size presents a 'unique' challenge, and thanks for letting me know." Keep in mind, there were three of them. With guns, tasers, and handcuffs (and not the frilly kind that I like, let's be honest, LOL). I sent him an email back and said that I still feel they need more training on manners and didn't appreciate being treated like a common criminal, nor being spoken to like I was not a citizen. He somewhat agreed, and we left it at that.

Sometimes you need to run it up the chain and let someone know, mang.

I saw the same cop a few weeks later, and I'm sure he remembered me. He was very cordial and polite, and helped me when I was involved in a collision (stupid drivers who don't look and just hit the gas...). When I thanked him for his help, and he said he remembered me. Said that maybe they were a bit overzealous before, but were concerned. I thanked him for his honesty, shook his hand, and we parted ways.

Big Mack
Old 12-10-10, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

great post Big Mack and way to go for both of you shaking hands at the end
Old 12-10-10, 11:51 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Congratulations on keeping your cool! It seems that entirely too often, people over-react with stuff like this.

I have always had a problem with being a smart-***. I have a distinct feeling in the same situation, I would've told them they couldn't search my car, and that they could bring a warrant/dog if they like. I'm just as capable of wasting someone else's time as they are of mine in most situations.

Growing up with a VERY intimidating older brother (he's a professional power-lifter and weighs about 315lbs of solid muscle), and a tendency to mouth off when angry has gotten me in trouble many times; but hasn't taught me anything.

Quick Reply: So I was detained recently and had my car searched...