Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Detained!
NOT GUILTY!
14.29%
Damnit, check the dope in the tires!!!
4.08%
Similar has happened to me
10.20%
Send his ass to Gitmo Bay, no trial, nothing, imagine a world with no more of his posts!
12.24%
Cops just doing their job
10.20%
Sue dude, then buy a LFA with the winnings and post a video on youtube
16.33%
Its some new profiling, hybrid profiling, you fit the smug
8.16%
Stop smuggling Goats
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

So I was detained recently and had my car searched...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 12:34 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
Congratulations on keeping your cool! It seems that entirely too often, people over-react with stuff like this.

I have always had a problem with being a smart-***. I have a distinct feeling in the same situation, I would've told them they couldn't search my car, and that they could bring a warrant/dog if they like. I'm just as capable of wasting someone else's time as they are of mine in most situations.

Growing up with a VERY intimidating older brother (he's a professional power-lifter and weighs about 315lbs of solid muscle), and a tendency to mouth off when angry has gotten me in trouble many times; but hasn't taught me anything.
I agree.

The response to the question "Do you mind if we search your car?" is "I'm sorry, I do not consent to searches."

The WRONG way to handle a traffic stop

The RIGHT way to handle a traffic stop
Old 12-10-10, 12:37 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal
Congratulations on keeping your cool! It seems that entirely too often, people over-react with stuff like this.

I have always had a problem with being a smart-***. I have a distinct feeling in the same situation, I would've told them they couldn't search my car, and that they could bring a warrant/dog if they like. I'm just as capable of wasting someone else's time as they are of mine in most situations.

Growing up with a VERY intimidating older brother (he's a professional power-lifter and weighs about 315lbs of solid muscle), and a tendency to mouth off when angry has gotten me in trouble many times; but hasn't taught me anything.
I hear ya on wasting their time if they're deliberately wasting yours and pestering you for little to no reason. I did hear from a officer of the NYPD that most local police can detain you for up to 22 hours at the scene or until the judge signs a warrant (whichever comes first). Its possible that their shifts can change in the midst of this occuring and they'd personally be unaffected by this.

I admit to having lapses in judgement when I was detained for no good reason. In the end, its wiser to be the better person in all of this even if you're the only one who knows it.

Michael
Old 12-10-10, 01:11 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Originally Posted by Habious
I agree.

The response to the question "Do you mind if we search your car?" is "I'm sorry, I do not consent to searches."

The WRONG way to handle a traffic stop

The RIGHT way to handle a traffic stop
Interesting videos. The officer was condescending and harassing in both videos.

This scenario may be uncommon in bigger cities though. With the exception of highway police in my area, almost all stops are done with 2 officers on either side of the vehicle. In my experience, they are more likely to be polite if they are alone. When they are with their partners, they have a tendency to make wiseass remarks to you and engage in private jokes with their partner.

I've never really put up too much of a challenge so I don't know what they will resort to. I usually remain frank while demonstrating what knowledge I do have about the circumstances surrounding my stop.

I was unjustly stopped for driving down onto a dead-end of a block adjacent to a private community one evening about 2 years ago. The lone officer (in this case) just asked what I was doing there and never asked for my license, registration, etc. I informed him that I was part of the management team for the condominium complex and was there to see if the contractor we hired for a project had begun work at the site. I offered my business card but he told me there was no need and just waved me off and returned to his car. I didn't complain cuz there was really no incident. I'm just curious as to what he would have cited as probable cause to stop me if they found something wrong. Driving on a public street is not probable cause.

In NY, a slight hiccup can result in a suspended license. I do mean SLIGHT. If you accidently pay the wrong amount on a parking ticket, for instance, your license could be suspended (unbeknownst to you in some cases) for slighting the city of $5.00. Around here, you WILL be arrested for that unless the officer turns a blind eye, which is rare. Thats why the afforementioned stop worried me.

Michael
Old 12-10-10, 01:20 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Over the years, I have been stopped several times for nothing. It's usually when I am dressed in a t-shirt and never in my business attire of dress shirt and tie. I alway kept my cool but asked good questions, with a respectful but firm tone.
It hasn't happened in a couple years...I believe there is too many other things going on in south Florida for cops to stop me for nothing. But it did happen several times and it's disgusting that in this age, crap like this still happens.
Old 12-10-10, 05:57 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will take the Chris Rock instructional video next time (NWS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Old 12-10-10, 09:32 PM
SVT2888
Lead Lap

I was stopped recently by the East Los Angeles Sheriffs for NO reason. I ran into him coming the opposite direction while I was yielding at a stop sign. He immediately turned his spot light on and blinded me. *It was around 3am, I'm always driving around this time as I work the night shift* He then then made a quick U-turn and started following me. He lit me up 50 feet before crossing into the next jurisdiction. As soon as he walked up to my window he was being a jack-off. He immediately started accusing me of being on coke. We then went back and forth with him accusing me and me denying it. I have never touched the stuff in my life. Only stimulant I use is Caffeine! He then asked for my license which I handed to him. When he came back to the car he asked me to step out, turn around and lock my hands behind my back. He walked me to the squad car, searched me and put me in the back. He then proceeded to search my car thoroughly for a good 20mins. He of course found nothing. He was visibly upset because of this. He then let me out of the car and told me to leave. I stopped half way and came back to him and confronted him. I was PISSED OFF from the whole ordeal. I asked him for his name and badge number as well as the reason for pulling me over. He first stuttered and said that he didn't have to give me any of that info that I should just leave. I kept insisting and he started saying that it didn't matter if I reported him "Go ahead report me! You can't touch me! You can't do anything to me. Just get out of here already" He eventually said that he pulled me over for having a headlight out. When confronted as to which one he couldn't say. He just went quickly back to his squad car and took off.

As soon as I got home I called the Sheriffs department to file a complaint. The person who answered kept blowing me off and then had me wait on the line while they contacted the officer. She claimed that the officer claimed that he pulled me over for speeding and for having a light out. At no time during the stop did those two things ever come up. I made sure to let he know that. She just blew me off though and instead said that I should be thankful that I had such a nice and courteous officer who simply let me off with a warning for speeding. WTF?! Since when do people call and file complaints when officers are friendly?!

I'm still very mad about the situation.

Just last night I had another Sheriff officer who just paced me and kept staring me down. I tried varying my speed and he kept matching me while keeping his eyes on me.

The East LA Sheriff seem more like a gang than a police force!

Several of my friends have experienced the same issues with the Sheriffs ever since they have taken over patrol duties in our city. They pull over people and randomly search them never once giving a reason for the stop.

/Rant
Old 12-10-10, 10:10 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by SVT2888
Several of my friends have experienced the same issues with the Sheriffs ever since they have taken over patrol duties in our city. They pull over people and randomly search them never once giving a reason for the stop.
If you think that is true, then go to your local electronics store and pick up a small digital recorder. You can get them for less than $30. If you get pulled over and ask for a reason why and they do not tell you at all, you will have proof. If they ask you to search your car, politely decline if they have not given you a reason. Ask to have a warrant issued, and state that since you do not present any signs of concern that have been expressed (such as weaving, eyes wandering or glazed, etc.), you will no longer answer questions without the presence of an attorney.

The only way this behavior gets changed is when people take action. Recording them is not illegal, and you are not required to tell them they are being recorded. Having proof of what you are saying is critical, however, because you have to be able to show without a shadow of a doubt that you were not being belligerent and giving reasons to them to have concern.

Good luck, mang.

Big Mack
Old 12-11-10, 09:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'll tell some of my stories.

One cop stopped me while at a traffic light. He was behind me. I politely asked what was the reason, that it could not have beena moving violtation and I was sure I don't have an eqipment failure. He then said he wanted to make sure I was the owner of the car since Lexus was one of the most stolen cars.
I replied that this was not true and stated the top 10 most stolen cars for him which Lexus was not included ( I happen to have read the list a couple days before). With no where to turn the guy let me go.

ANother cop stopped me and asked if I could see the igsignia on the side of his car. I said I could and why was he asking. He told me that several blocks prior, I failed to give him due respect. I remember he was trying to change lanes but I felt he was not in proper position for me to allow it without curbing my wheels. It was not even close to an issue. He wanted to bully me and I held my ground.
I then asked if he was headed to an emergency. Second, I asked if I committed an infraction. Since the answer was no, why was I being stopped? He let me go.

I have several other stories but I wanted to tell the other side too. Several times I have been stopped when I deserved a ticket and did not get one. I speed sometimes but I try to do it safely. Recently I was doing 60 near a school zone. I wasn't in the zone but fast approaching it. The cop asked me why I would go so fast in an area where I knew kids walked. I felt so bad. He still let me go. I'll never forget it.
There have been other acts of kindness by cops so there is the other side.
Old 12-11-10, 09:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I figured out who they were looking for..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...luva-drug.html
Old 12-11-10, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will take the Chris Rock instructional video next time (NWS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
That video is great. I saw it when it first came out, several years ago.
Old 12-12-10, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

chris rock video had me laughing!!!
Old 12-12-10, 07:37 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's interesting. Cops usually are very polite and apologetic when addressing me during a traffic stop. I guess I project more of the mid 40s, member of the city business club, friends with the senator, image even though I am a decade younger than that.