Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Detained!
NOT GUILTY!
14.29%
Damnit, check the dope in the tires!!!
4.08%
Similar has happened to me
10.20%
Send his ass to Gitmo Bay, no trial, nothing, imagine a world with no more of his posts!
12.24%
Cops just doing their job
10.20%
Sue dude, then buy a LFA with the winnings and post a video on youtube
16.33%
Its some new profiling, hybrid profiling, you fit the smug
8.16%
Stop smuggling Goats
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

So I was detained recently and had my car searched...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 01:32 PM
LexFather

Post So I was detained recently and had my car searched...

A local member with an IS F felt he was profiled recently and I shared what happened to me recently..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...led-again.html

After my final class I walked to the parking deck like I usually do and noticed as soon as I walked in it, a police car drove up fast and paced me. I instantly knew "they are looking for someone" as I walked into the elevator. Now I usually park in the same spot and when the door opens I notice another cop car literally parked next to my passenger door.

Now cops sometimes park oddly so I didn't think they were looking for me even though this was too much of a coincidence. I open my rear door to put my books in and drive off.

I get around two decks and you would think I'm a mass murderer or something. From every direction cop cars come with lights on and surround my car. Looked like something in a movie. Unmarked behind me and cop cars behind cop cars left and right to prevent my hasty getaway.

Now like many here this is SADLY nothing new to have run-ins with law enforcement so I didn't even really raise an eyebrow. I calmly turn all the lights on inside, drop the window and raise my hands. They walk up on me and ask me to exit the car which I do. They ask is the car off and I say no. They say "its not on its not making any noise" to which I explain its a hybrid. So I explain how to turn it off by pressing the button

Immediately a cop wants to handcuff me until another says "hold on I have to frisk him first" and he asks to I have weapons on me and I reply I don't. My pockets are emptied and I'm asked am I a student to which I reply "yes". Another officer explains that I "fit the profile of a suspect". Now I figure this is one good looking criminal. Unfortunately I was dressed in jeans, sweater, Jordans instead of a suit or something so I blended in to them I guess.

It is explained I will be detained and cuffed and I agree to it. I understand cops have a job to do and this isn't the first time I've been pulled over or questioned (young, minority, Lexus= suspect). At this point I notice there are like 5-6 cop cars and maybe a dozen or more cops around.

They are surprised at how relaxed I am since I'm talking and not upset. They ask to search my car and I tell them fine. When asked again am I a student I tell them my ID is in my wallet AND I have my student parking pass. They go apeshiat in my car looking for whatever while I sit on the hood of the unmarked car cuffed.

Which was fine for a few minutes. Now if you have never been cuffed before it is NOT/NEVER a pleasant experience. The cold cuffs and your hands behind your back make you feel like a prisoner especially surrounded by 3 officers. It is NOT a good feeling and I wish it on no one. You realize you are at their mercy. Only Marv Albert would like the cuffs like this. About five minutes in most of the cops leave and I can see the look on their faces like 'this ain't the guy". However some want to keep me.

What I thought would be a quick process turned into one that lasted 20 minutes of my being cuffed and my car searched. I had ample evidence I belonged here but they insisted on searching my car over and over. They went into the trunk PERPLEXED by the hybrid battery. I kept having to tell one cop "dude its a BATTERY back there" as I assume he thought I was keeping some dope/cash in there. This is also the time my hands start to get burned on the hot *** hood of the cop car and I have to move them constantly as it was getting painful.

There are other fishy things I notice but I won't state on here. Finally I guess I start making them uncomfortable when I start to talk the law and mentioning their names over and over and noting some of their jurisdictions. Nothing rude, just friendly "I'm not ur usual dumbass" talk.

After the third time not finding nothing (and wondering at this point will they plant something, what the hell is taking so long. You see when you are "detained' for this long after awhile things start running through your head) I get uncuffed. A higher up walks over and apologizes. I tell them no issues and leave.

Now again I understand they had a job to do but I go angry for a little while. Luckily I have some friends in the force/attorney pals and while they agreed it was B.S its just one of those things that happens to people.

Overall I'm not bitter but I guess after reading Veral's story I wanted to share mine.

Old 12-08-10, 01:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

hand cuffs do suck, sucks to have that happen.. did they give you any details on the search or what?
Old 12-08-10, 01:42 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yea handcuffs are not the most comfortable piece of jewelry. Im wondering why after showing them your student id and proof that you had reason to be there that they did not let you go. I can understand being stopped for fitting the description of a suspect but to keep you that long after proving your not the person is uncalled for. thankfully they didnt stash a throw bag in your car.
Old 12-08-10, 01:42 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

crazy day you had there, seems like you handled yourself pretty well though
Old 12-08-10, 01:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You look guilty.

Well, you do. You so thug...
Old 12-08-10, 01:58 PM
LexFather

Thanks
Originally Posted by jadu
hand cuffs do suck, sucks to have that happen.. did they give you any details on the search or what?
Just that there was info of someone "with a weapon" on campus. Really?

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You look guilty.

Well, you do. You so thug...
I'm thinking I can drop a rap album now? You can have a cameo in the video. With some goats

Old 12-08-10, 02:00 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

he's no ordinary thug. he's SUPERthug.

DJ, drop that beat, yo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLMr...eature=related

/OT

sorry to hear what happened. i'm surprised you remained that calm throughout the whole fiasco.
Old 12-08-10, 02:02 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm thinking I can drop a rap album now? You can have a cameo in the video. With some goats
and just as you posted that...

how about some camels instead?

oh, and you're welcome.
Old 12-08-10, 02:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm thinking I can drop a rap album now? With some goats

Old 12-08-10, 02:16 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear of the incident. Don't ever feel like you shouldn't flex a little mental muscle when they search your car three times over. It would make me feel like they WANT to find something. You ever get the feeling you are presumed GUILTY until proven INNOCENT?

A few months back, I was detained outside of a supermarket by a scrawny member of the loss prevention department. I complied because I knew I had done nothing wrong and thought it would be a quick matter and not a drawn-out ordeal. Within moments, the police arrive. Apparently there were shoplifters apprehended in the store and it was unclear if I had entered the store while appearing like I was part of their group or they thought they saw me speaking to them or whatever the case was. They weren't exactly clear. The police arrived and they hit me with 2 questions at once. The first question was within a second of the other and I answered "I don't think so". This response happened as cop #2 was asking "do you have any weapons on you?". Well...just my luck. I was searched 4 times. I explained that they asked me 2 questions at once. I even said "boy, you REALLY want me to have a weapon on me, don't you?". I'm in my 30's, I'm not a minority and they had no idea what I drove but Italian-americans do get profiled here and it doesn't offend me really. But it became offensive when I got the impression they wanted me. I understand they have a job to do and I didn't take it personally but...c'mon...4 times???

I was cuffed and I was in a neighborhood where I do business. I was in a room with a door open to foot-traffic. If any clients had seen me with metal to my wrists there would have been repercussions for me. The store staff was worse than the police though. They were blatantly accusing me of fencing goods to "bodegas" and a staff member even took a photo of me in cuffs with his cell phone. Even with the police there I became very irate and told them I will sue and sue and sue and sue until they named the store after me. Luckily, one officer told him to erase the photo, which I can only assume he did.

They did let me go within about 45 minutes or so after they reviewed tapes and whatnot. They would not even let me see the monitor. I did receive a fine for having 2 copies of my driver's license on me. The police did apologize for "having" to write the ticket to me (one officer being far more reasonable than the other) but I did, out of anger, make an off-color remark about the guy who detained me and how if he had been in the hospital with a broken jaw I'd be $150 richer. I don't recommend this!!!!!

It sounds like you were more than compliant and kept your cool longer than I did. Did you get any recognition for cooperating???

Michael
Old 12-08-10, 02:28 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

that sucks, glad you kept your calm
Old 12-08-10, 02:33 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1Sick just makes me sad to hear this story,, sorry this horrible event happened to you but I'm glad it was resolved in minutes and not hours.

Last edited by TripleL; 12-08-10 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 02:50 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like you handled a bad situation well. Sucks that it happened.
Old 12-08-10, 03:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer, but then I'm stealth-like in person.
Old 12-08-10, 03:09 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude they thought you were a drug dealer and not a car enthusiast because you AINT got one of these on the back of your car!!!

I could not resist...

What were you driving at the time? I would laugh hard if it was the RX... I mean its a vehicle that I automatically associate with a tougher crowd.

HEEYYYYY

Well sounds like they guy they were looking for did something interesting.. Too bad you never found out.

But seriously these stories are just one of the crapy things about life especially when the cops have reasonable cause.. All bets tend to be out the window. And they tend to be very unprofessional when they are searching. Its amazing that any crimes are solved.

Quick Reply: So I was detained recently and had my car searched...