Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Z "Not Recommended"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 01:07 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTB727
If the AC shut off on me in the Florida heat while stuck in traffic, that would be the #1 deal breaker.
If I've got the AC on, it's on because I want it on--it's a dealbreaker no matter where you live.
Old 12-10-10, 06:12 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For CR not to recommend a Honda... that's pretty heavy. Has this happened before with a Honda model? Just more proof of Honda's steady decline. Still wondering when they will wake up.
If I am not mistaken, the only real Honda that I know of that had a low rating by CR was the old Del Sol of the early-mid '90s. I believe they claimed that it had poor body integrity and that reliability was below averge.

With all of the problems that Honda has had with automatic transmissions in certain models (ie. late 90's early '00s Accords and Acura TLs), I'm surprised CR still recommended those.
Old 12-10-10, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Fizzboy7
For CR not to recommend a Honda... that's pretty heavy. Has this happened before with a Honda model? Just more proof of Honda's steady decline. Still wondering when they will wake up.

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
If I am not mistaken, the only real Honda that I know of that had a low rating by CR was the old Del Sol of the early-mid '90s. I believe they claimed that it had poor body integrity and that reliability was below average.
The Honda Passport of the mid-1990s was Not Recommended by CR, mainly because of poor reliability. However, the Passport was not a true Honda, but simply a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. Honda, back then, had not (yet) introduced any of their own-design SUVs in the American market.

The Del Sol, as you note, was indeed worse-than-average in body-integrity issues (and, IMO, it was a poor replacement for the superb CRX). That's because Honda, at that time, had little or no prior experience in designing and building that type of vehicle (T-Tops, semi-convertibles, removable roof panels, etc...). And, it showed in the Del Sol, which was plagued with rattles, squeaks, water-leaks, etc.....around the removable-top panel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-10 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-10-10, 10:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that's a blow to honda!

and the CRX gets 35+ mpg
Old 12-16-10, 12:47 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

an even better CRZ:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/13/v...meant-to-have/
Old 12-16-10, 12:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts

The car sounds like a piece of crap to me...

I'd take a Civic or an Accord coupe.
Old 12-16-10, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
The car sounds like a piece of crap to me...
Not really. I've reviewed and driven it. It's actually a very well-built, well-crafted car (one of the best in its class, quality-wise), but with a somewhat under-engineered and rough-running drivetrain that needs some work, so that it can better-compete with Toyota hybrids.
Old 12-16-10, 02:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. I've reviewed and driven it. It's actually a very well-built, well-crafted car (one of the best in its class, quality-wise), but with a somewhat under-engineered and rough-running drivetrain that needs some work, so that it can better-compete with Toyota hybrids.
Mike,doesn't the A/C thing bother you?
Old 12-16-10, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CTB727
If the AC shut off on me in the Florida heat while stuck in traffic, that would be the #1 deal breaker.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mike, doesn't the A/C thing bother you?
On the CR-Z I reviewed, I remember it having a choice of Normal/Economy modes. I don't specifically remember the A/C cutting off at a stop with the gas-engine on the one I drove. It's possible (but I don't remember for sure) that the A/C cutoff at idle is only in the Eco mode. In fact, many hybrids have A/C compressors that are run by small electric motors, not the regular gas-engine.
Old 12-16-10, 07:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu

This is how it should have been from the factory. Honda has the resources to add the K-series as a performance model. I'll gladly pay an extra $1500 for this option, even if it meant my mpg would go down a bit.
Old 12-16-10, 07:41 PM
LexFather

^^^ I think Honda has a serious problem b/c those cool 180-200hp cars that were gret in the 1990s and early 2000s would be overpriced and underpowered tons today. I would guess a 200hp CRZ would be a 23k-28k car. That's the price of a 300hp 30mpg highway mustang or camaro. The Genesis coupe also would embarress it.

So they wouldn't even have much of a MPG gain over real RWD sports cars! Unless u just are a Honda nut the K20 wouldn't do much.

That's another reason why the future ft-86 has it's work cut out for it.

Old 12-17-10, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ I think Honda has a serious problem b/c those cool 180-200hp cars that were gret in the 1990s and early 2000s would be overpriced and underpowered tons today. I would guess a 200hp CRZ would be a 23k-28k car. That's the price of a 300hp 30mpg highway mustang or camaro. The Genesis coupe also would embarress it.

So they wouldn't even have much of a MPG gain over real RWD sports cars! Unless u just are a Honda nut the K20 wouldn't do much.

That's another reason why the future ft-86 has it's work cut out for it.
Not sure what you're getting at here, Mike, but Honda, to my knowledge, never did a stock 180-200 HP CRX in the American market. Even the sporty Si model, from what I remember, had around 125 HP and, of course, the low, peaky torque typical of Honda fours.

I agree that, in powertrain and roadability, the Genesis Coupe, especially the 3.8 Track model, easily smokes the new CR-Z....in fact, its powertrain/chassis enginering, IMO, is comparable to that of a number of BMW 3-series products. But the 3.8 Track model can run over 30K (the one I reviewed was 31K). That's roughly 50% more than what a typical CR-Z would run.
Old 12-17-10, 10:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I think most of us know that it doesn't take CR to know that it's "not recommended"
I saw it at the auto show and I couldn't run away fast enough
Old 12-17-10, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I saw it at the auto show and I couldn't run away fast enough
Did you at least sit in one and examine the interior, craftmanship, and sheet metal? This car may not have a well-engineered powertrain, but, IMO, it is built like a Swiss Watch.
Old 12-17-10, 10:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure what you're getting at here, Mike, but Honda, to my knowledge, never did a stock 180-200 HP CRX in the American market. Even the sporty Si model, from what I remember, had around 125 HP and, of course, the low, peaky torque typical of Honda fours.
Mike,the SI has 197 HP.The newer SI's,anyway.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Z "Not Recommended"