Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Z "Not Recommended"

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 06:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Z "Not Recommended"

2011 Honda CR-Z hybrid gets low score from Consumer Reports
By Steph, 08 Dec, 2010.

2011 Honda CR-Z
After subjecting the Honda CR-Z to several tests, Consumer Reports concluded that the vehicle is reliable but is not recommended due to its long list of drawbacks. The two-seat CR-Z is derived from the Insight, a five-passenger hybrid hatchback that also scored very low on its tests. Consumer Reports said that the CR-Z has received several improvements. It observed that the interior isn’t obviously cheap and its handling is far better than the Insight’s. It also noted that the CR-Z's manual transmission is crisp and easy to shift and its fuel economy rating of 35 mpg is satisfactory.

But its shortcomings are far too many and severe to be ignored. For instance, the handling of the CR-Z is short on steering feel, which is also seen on other recent vehicles from Honda. This small sports coupe offers a stiff ride and it has high noise levels. Also, the stability control intervenes too late when it's required, so the CR-Z's tail can swing out mid-corner. According to one tester, its lousy rear and over-the-shoulder visibility made changing lanes "like Russian Roulette."

Its payload capacity of 400-lb. negates the large cargo hold and is considered to be a serious limitation. When stopping to save fuel, the vehicle shuts off along with the air conditioner. Its exterior door handles are not very comfortable to grab, and since the CR-Z is low-slung, the passenger or the driver has to lunge in and out of it.
I love how in comparison to the Insight, they say the interior isn't "obviously cheap". LMFAO.
Old 12-09-10, 06:44 AM
Koma

To be fair it's a highly stylized two seat sporty coupe. Getting in and out is going to be an issue in most low slung coupes. Visibility is usually a problem in coupes.

I still wouldn't buy one anyway on grounds that it's an anemic engine for such crap-tastic fuel economy.
Old 12-09-10, 07:31 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda is in a real decline these days. Not one of their newest products has been impressive.
Old 12-09-10, 07:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

35 MPGs is low considering I get that and more at times with my Camry hybrid.
Old 12-09-10, 08:02 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah 35 mpg is pathetic on a TINY car like this that has a hybrid engine....that is a downright joke actually.
Old 12-09-10, 08:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree that it's low. If I keep it under 70mph I can get 30-33 on the highway in my ES350. Obviously less in city driving.
Old 12-09-10, 08:50 AM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A/C turns off when the gas engine shuts down??? How often does the engine shut down? Is it like in Toyota's where it pretty much happens at stop lights and during traffic?
That can't be fun when you are stucked on the freeway in the summer.
Old 12-09-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

When I reviewed a CR-Z, I thought the worst feature was the motorboating/surging/rubber-banding sensations that the the CVT gave. This used to be a problem with many CVTs, but some automakers, like Nissan and Subaru, now have CVTs that feel and operate more smoothly and conventionally. Honda's unit simply needs more engineering. The IMA hybrid powertrain, like that on the sister Insight and Civic Hybrid, does not engage or operate as smoothly as comparable Toyota units.

I said, in my review, that I thought the CR-Z 6MT version might be preferable to the CVT, even though I usually don't recommend manuals over automatics for congested-traffic areas.
Old 12-09-10, 09:10 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
the CRZ is supposed to be a Sporty Hybrid. Camry is just A to B Hybrid. you cant compare the 2.

CRZ probably gave up some MPGs to gain HP or some other feature
Old 12-09-10, 09:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It didn't give up that much considering it has less than 130hp

Supposedly there is a turbocharged 1.6L in the works to replace the whole hybrid setup, but don't hold your breath on it.
Old 12-09-10, 09:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by baadhabit
the CRZ is supposed to be a Sporty Hybrid. Camry is just A to B Hybrid. you cant compare the 2.

CRZ probably gave up some MPGs to gain HP or some other feature
All 122 HP?
The Camry weighs 1000 lbs more and has 65 more HP.
The CRZ is a dog that doesn't even get good MPGs.
Old 12-09-10, 04:36 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as mileage is concerned, I could regularly get 37mpg in my Civic on that same road. Why can't these hair-shirt "economy" cars beat that?

I'd blame the low-rolling-resistance tires for the minimal load capacity that wouldn't even carry a driver, passenger, and a week's worth of luggage. In most cases the load rating is determined by the el cheapo tires they put on the vehicle at the factory. My old Opel came with a set of French-made bias-ply Goodyears that indicated a max capacity of 850# stamped right there on the sidewall.

I was regularly hauling 175# of gear and a passenger or two three hours East to Lake Charles every week back then and the rear tires were seriously overloaded. Solution: Go to Sears and install a set of their radials (actually manufactured by Michelin in those days). Rated at 1250# each, they were far better in almost every test category - well, except price. When I sold the car some 75K later, those tires were still on the car and showed only moderate wear. Your do get what you pay for.
Old 12-09-10, 11:51 PM
WAES300
Driver

Too bad. I might be in the minority, but I actually like how it looks, especially compared to their other cars..

My relatives' Prius gets close to 50MPG without a sweat. This little thing should be able to beat that..
Old 12-10-10, 12:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For CR not to recommend a Honda... that's pretty heavy. Has this happened before with a Honda model? Just more proof of Honda's steady decline. Still wondering when they will wake up.
Old 12-10-10, 11:01 AM
CTB727
Rookie

If the AC shut off on me in the Florida heat while stuck in traffic, that would be the #1 deal breaker.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Z "Not Recommended"