Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford And Honda Walk Away With Top Spot For Customer Retention In 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The differences in at least the top 6 or 7 are statistically insignificant.

To your point, the difference between the #1 ranked brand and #6 is only 3%. Not much difference.
Old 12-09-10, 03:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
No, it'd be higher because it'll add those who switch from Toyota to Lexus and vice versa.
Last year, Lexus sold 1 mill units while Lexus sold 100k. If we assume all of Lexus buyers were previous Toyota owners, then Lexus would have a retention rate of 100% (which we know is not possible). That's 700k retained customer from 1.1 million units sold by Toy/Lex. That's about 63.6%, not nearly enough evidence to claim top spot. If we did this logic, then we have to apply the same for Ford, Honda, Kia, etc and we know many Lincoln/Mercury/etc owners are die-hard Ford fans.

Personally, dividing by brand makes sense because it tells you more about who is struggling or not. Now if you want an inflated number to get your ego boosted, then you combine the brands.
Old 12-09-10, 03:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

for hyundai to be tied with toyota and lexus is astounding.

it's all good for consumers!
Old 12-09-10, 03:45 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
for hyundai to be tied with toyota and lexus is astounding.

it's all good for consumers!
I'm not surprised about Hyundai. They have been making high quality products and thats been sending customers back to them. Go Hyundai
Old 12-12-10, 07:35 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Well I can tell you one person who did not come back to honda...this guy. While I did LOVE the civic, and would not have a problem owning any honda, they just dont make any really tough vehicles. Honda really should get a V8 and get into the full-size truck segment.

For that matter, Lexus should get into the Full Size Pickup segment too, they already have the V8 and the truck to do it with, and I would be more than willing to pay the premium for a new Lexus TX570.
Old 12-12-10, 08:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Well I can tell you one person who did not come back to honda...this guy. While I did LOVE the civic, and would not have a problem owning any honda, they just dont make any really tough vehicles. Honda really should get a V8 and get into the full-size truck segment.

For that matter, Lexus should get into the Full Size Pickup segment too, they already have the V8 and the truck to do it with, and I would be more than willing to pay the premium for a new Lexus TX570.
LOL. Well, we all know neither will happen. Honda is still unlikely to build a V8. Aside from that, those who jump into the full-size truck market are still very limited for good reason. Nissan was much more prepaired for it and they barely broke ground. And Toyota, the world's the largest and most respected automaker, can't even sway that many loyalists away from the American badges with a great truck. Don't expect Honda to try or anyone else at this point.

A Lexus truck? No way. Obviously, it would be based on the Tundra and since the Tundra is struggling for more sales itself, a Lexus version wouldn't stand a chance. I think it would be the same type of mistake as Lincoln pickups based on the F-series. Cadillac has managed some success with the Escalade EXT but that is based on the regular Escalade and Avalanche, a different vehicle type than a straight pickup (essentially half truck, half SUV).
Old 12-14-10, 08:31 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I am just saying, I cannot be the only person in America who would buy a Lexus Pickup truck. I like Lexus, I need a truck...therefore...

Alas, I understand its not likely to ever happen, on either end, but one can wish. Sad thing is, the full size truck market is shrinking every day. So the best truck market in history, was likely to me in the late 90's, when gas was still pretty cheap, and big trucks were everywhere.