Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

weather and vehicle size

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10 | 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default weather and vehicle size

i've noticed i prefer larger vehicles when it's really hot or cold outside. why? when it's really hot larger vehicles don't get as hot as quickly inside when left because (my guess) there's a larger volume of air to heat and SUVs for example, usually have seriously blacked out glass standard on the rear passenger and back windows. and when it's cold outside, small cars steam up more quickly from moist breath and maybe psychologically i just feel closer to the cold through the windshield and doors.

another thing i like about larger vehicles, is with the vents and other air outlets being further from the occupants the air flow isn't as much 'in your face' and seems quieter as it's spread out.

finally, i like larger vehicles like suvs in cold and hot weather because getting in and out seems easier, besides the higher seat height and big doors, sneaking into low seats through a tight opening in a small vehicle in shorts in summer or lots of clothes in cold weather seems awkward.

but a small car like the miata i had is awesome when the weather isn't too hot or cold!

what do you think?
Old 12-09-10 | 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hard to give a simple answer. Depends on the kind of heat and cold involved. In a dry heat or cold, I think that, overall, a vehicle with a small interior will cool off or heat up to a comfortable temperature more quickly than a Suburban/Expedition-sized interior. But in cold, wet/snowy weather, where the roads are likely to have poor traction, in general, all else equal, the bigger and heavier the vehicle, the more traction you will have on the driving wheels....even with RWD.

And, of course, the strength/efficiciency of the climate-control system also makes a difference. In general, I have found Toyota/Lexus and Subaru heaters to be the best, and Toyota/Lexus and GM air-conditioners the most powerful (American-designed GM units).
Old 12-09-10 | 02:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Easier to heat or cool a small space, so a smaller car's climate control is more efficient, especially if you're warming/cooling a single occupant.

The smaller the space, the easier to control.

P.S. It really sucks to be on a motorcycle during cold blasts and heatwaves...
Old 12-09-10 | 02:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Some interesting observations about weather and vehicle size by all.

I'll add a few that are related:

. Exterior color (variations of white is best in summer) makes the biggest difference in hot weather

. Tint helps in hot weather, but not as much as exterior color. 2 of 3 vehicle in my household have full tint on all windows except windshield (at medium darkness or 35-50% ranges), only makes a small difference for summer interior temps.

. The bigger and taller SUV in bad weather of course comes in handy for obvious reasons such as 4wd, ride height and related visibility in heavy traffic, ease of entry/exit, presence in traffic, etc.

. And I do like Lexus cooled/heated seats in summer, since my other vehicles only have heated seats (which I do appreciate in winter).

. Agreed a bigger interior takes a little more time to cool and/or heat in extreme conditions (many 3rd row SUVs offer auxiliary AC).

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-09-10 at 02:35 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-09-10 | 04:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

to add to what IS-SV said, those lexus cooled/heated seats make a big difference. exterior color does make a huge difference, as darker colors will increase the temperature of the car during those hot summer days. the tint works well to a certain degree, but it'll still feel hot in a dark colored car. larger vehicles (SUVs and even minivans) are perfect for us when we travel in colder weather. its roomy, can handle well in bad driving conditions, and the visibility is increased being higher up than a sedan or coupe. the added controls of heat/air for the second and third rows eliminates the need to have a slowly flowing hot or cold air from just the front vents.
Old 12-10-10 | 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i really didn't know exterior color made any difference to interior comfort on hot days.
Old 12-10-10 | 08:26 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
...but a small car like the miata i had is awesome when the weather isn't too hot or cold!

what do you think?
Actually, I quite liked my Miata in really hot or cold weather. In the winter, even on the coldest days (like 5°) the tiny cabin heated up very quickly. On really hot days, well you just drop the top, and all the hot air in the cabin just floats away. Sitting in traffic and baking in the sun on a 95° day sucked, but once you were moving, it wasn't a big deal.
Old 12-10-10 | 08:30 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

The larger interior volume comes in handy for fogging issues.

Larger is also nice when its winter and you have a ton of cloths on, easier getting in \ out.

Exterior size, after having the FJ, I prefer the longer wheelbase of a truck when driving in the snow since it’s far more stable.
Old 12-10-10 | 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
Exterior size, after having the FJ, I prefer the longer wheelbase of a truck when driving in the snow since it’s far more stable.
that's interesting, how does short wheelbase impair handling in snow?
Old 12-10-10 | 01:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's interesting, how does short wheelbase impair handling in snow?
Easy rotation leading to oversteer or worse a spin-out.

But that's become less of a concern with recent SUVs, since nearly all have advanced stability control systems to minimize those bad tendencies.
Old 12-10-10 | 02:34 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Easy rotation leading to oversteer or worse a spin-out.

But that's become less of a concern with recent SUVs, since nearly all have advanced stability control systems to minimize those bad tendencies.
I found out the easy way coming back from chicago in a snow storm

Thing is, even with the stability control systems they only do so much in very slick \ ice type situations. With the longer wheelbase AND stability control you can often keep half way side ways in bad spots vs straight up helicoptering down the road.
Old 12-10-10 | 02:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Danger, danger. Yes, I've spun pre-stability control cars before in the snow a couple of times years ago.
Old 12-10-10 | 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Danger, danger. Yes, I've spun pre-stability control cars before in the snow a couple of times years ago.
Older rear-engine Porsches? They were oversteer classics.
Old 12-10-10 | 03:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Older rear-engine Porsches? They were oversteer classics.
Never dared driving an older 911 in snow, that would be a handful.
Old 12-10-10 | 05:55 PM
LexFather

Interesting topic and comments, never really thought of it much. I'm trying to remember did the smallish interior of the SC fog up more in the past? Most everything I've driven is around the same size.

I will say again, gasp, I really like SUVs now....