Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Formula One change in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 05:58 AM
LexFather

Imagine a bunch of turbo I-4s running along in Texas when F1 comes back here . Can't say they will be thrilled in the land where "bigger is better".

Gengar hit it on the head, it isn't a "green" sport but rather an elitist "Green with money" sport so why pretend?

Old 12-13-10, 06:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

'green F1' is an oxymoron.
Old 12-13-10, 07:33 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marzabella
A1GP? They would be in the hands of receivers trying to get what money they can. That ain't going to happen. Funny thing is though no one is claiming that the engine change is to cut costs, far from it, going to be pricey to re-engineer everything.
I full well know this.

And yes, designing another engine from the ground up is going to be very, very costly. The FIA seems dead set on Killing F1

Originally Posted by gengar
Ya, seems every day I'm getting happier that I decided to buy the LFA. Cars like this simply may not exist in the rather near future.
very true.

Originally Posted by projectdna
combined with KERS (kinetic energy recovery system), the move from normally-aspirated v8's to turbocharged inline 4's can be seen as a "green" initiative by formula one.
There is nothing "Green" about KERS.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'green F1' is an oxymoron.
This.
Old 12-13-10, 08:41 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I want the V10s back
Old 12-13-10, 01:37 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
case in point, historically-successful teams such as ferrari and mclaren have operating budgets in excess of $50M - and that may not even guarantee a winning formula (see: red bull racing).
Just FYI, you missed a 0 here. I think Ferrari cut F1 spending in recent years but regularly spent over $500 million per year through the mid-2000s including their dominant years. Toyota regularly spent close to $500 million per year in during its short foray into F1.
Old 12-13-10, 01:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap, 500 millions spending? Does Ferrari even sell that many cars to be able to waste such huge amount of their profits on F1?
Old 12-13-10, 01:54 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ferrari spends like 400m, I remember Toyota had the biggest spend in F1 with like 458m or something like that.

Roughly 50% of the budge is in engine development :/
Old 12-13-10, 03:08 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Holy crap, 500 millions spending? Does Ferrari even sell that many cars to be able to waste such huge amount of their profits on F1?
No, they definitely don't. But don't forget sponsorship - Marlboro paid around $150 million a year to be lead sponsor and get their name on the team (hope they're not paying that much these days!), and Ferrari has a boatload of other sponsors like Shell, Puma, AMD, Acer, etc. - and also absurdly overpriced merchandising, which Ferrari has been capitalizing on lately what with opening all sorts of Ferrari stores throughout the world.
Old 12-13-10, 03:10 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tv revenue is also split amongst teams, because if you think about it, running a F1 team must generate income since Red bull's founder is only worth like 2 billion, and their latest cost data shows the team spends 200m+ a year, at this rate it will take 10 years before red bull's founder go homeless
Old 12-13-10, 06:54 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Without actually being able to verify this properly, I've read several times that Ferrari SpA make substantially larger profits from merchandise and licensing than they do selling cars
Old 12-13-10, 09:02 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
There is nothing "Green" about KERS.
quite possibly, as i still don't fully understand the technology behind KERS.

i suppose any method of making additional power without an increase in fuel consumption can be considered "green" (in the most liberal sense, mind you).

but that's just me.

Originally Posted by gengar
Just FYI, you missed a 0 here. I think Ferrari cut F1 spending in recent years but regularly spent over $500 million per year through the mid-2000s including their dominant years. Toyota regularly spent close to $500 million per year in during its short foray into F1.
i should've added this to clarify (from http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9290.html):

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has revised its budget cap plans for 2010. Teams signing up for the optional cap must limit their spending to £40 million per year (£10 million higher than originally proposed) in exchange for greater technical freedom. This will not include driver salaries or, for 2010 only, engine costs.
of course, that excludes:

-Marketing and hospitality;
-Remuneration for test or race drivers, including any young driver programmes;
-Fines or penalties imposed by the FIA;
-Engine costs (for 2010 only);
-Any expenditure which the team can demonstrate has no influence on its performance in the Championship;
-Dividends (including any tax thereon) paid from profits relating to participation in the Championship.
but looking around, the reputed numbers do show an atmospheric level of spending by the formula 1 teams (as i've said in my prevoius post). as such, adding a zero behind the number i posted earlier isn't unrealistic.

however, any move to help cap team spending and the cost of entry is a sign that formula one wants to try to lower the main barrier of entry: cost.

(actually, that's the second barrier of entry; bernie ecclestone is the first one. )
Old 12-13-10, 10:08 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The beginning of the end for Formula 1...

I suppose F1 will eventually turn into this,

Old 12-13-10, 11:22 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

I suppose F1 will eventually turn into this,

hahaha...
Old 12-14-10, 08:05 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Ferrari spends like 400m, I remember Toyota had the biggest spend in F1 with like 458m or something like that.

Roughly 50% of the budge is in engine development :/
I've heard it rumored that Toyota's budget was not as big as some claimed, and actually closer to the $250 million range. Bigger budget of course in the beginning years to tool up, develop then engines and expand the factory at cologne.

Be it so or not, Ferrari, McLaren, Honda and Toyota would have had operating budgets at about $400 million / year.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
hahaha...
lol lol.. i'd have lost it if that bike actually skid out of control
Old 12-14-10, 12:21 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1.8L V8....did it also use moped pistons?

Quick Reply: Formula One change in 2013