Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Registering RHD Supra in US ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 08:30 PM
supraguy2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering RHD Supra in US ?

Last edited by supraguy2; 12-08-11 at 10:35 PM. Reason: edited
Old 12-12-10, 09:40 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

You can register it at the local DMV, there should be no problems. Good luck with it!
Old 12-12-10, 10:10 PM
Ethix
Driver

You should probably check supraforums. I'm not positive, but I believe registering JDM Supras aren't as easy as just going to the DMV. JDM VIN's aren't the same as USDM VIN's and I don't know that they'll accept a JDM VIN. RHD doesn't really have anything to do with it though. It's the VIN that's the problem.
Old 12-13-10, 10:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethix
You should probably check supraforums. I'm not positive, but I believe registering JDM Supras aren't as easy as just going to the DMV. JDM VIN's aren't the same as USDM VIN's and I don't know that they'll accept a JDM VIN. RHD doesn't really have anything to do with it though. It's the VIN that's the problem.
yup... good chance you will not be able to register it at all legally...

also, depending on your area, even something as simple as getting an inspection may prove difficult, as RHD cars have different headlight angles and such...

I am sure there are ways around this, the only two I can think of is to register it as a kit car, which means you have to have physically built a portion of the vehicle, or at minimum purchased the engine separate from the chassis, or, to purchase a similar model Supra and change the VIN from one to the other. The second one may not be so legal, but, there is no reason why it wouldn't work (I have never seen a VIN inspection include the engine or hidden frame VIN's, so usually door frame and window VIN's are the ones that need changed - even if it included an engine VIN, you could always claim you replaced the engine, and if asked about it being RHD, you could say you converted it from lhd to rhd)
Old 12-13-10, 11:28 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and alot of times these so-called "deals" might possibly be scams. Make sure you are able to see the car, and are dealing with a legitimate seller.
Old 12-15-10, 08:36 PM
05EX
Pole Position

I want to say no, but i've regularly seen a white rhd Supra running around town here in Tampa quite often. I would post up on Supraforums and ask fl members the car that i see has fl plates and the whole nine. Shen i first moved down here 6 years ago i even remember seeing JDM aristos that a Japanese family had imported from back home when they moved. Maybe the laws have changed or loopholes have closed by now though. Oh and ive seen quite a few rhd soarers here also.
Old 12-16-10, 12:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

RHD imports can sometimes be locally registered but are 99% of the time not federalized, which means that both the EPA, customs, and/or the NHTSA can come knocking on your door. also, if your insurance company finds out that it doesnt meet US Specs (not federalized) then they can potentially get you for insurance fraud (or at least just deny your coverage completely)
Old 12-16-10, 06:38 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like 9 times out of 10 when I hear about someone being able to register a not US-spec car, it's something like "Oh, my cousin works at the DMV", "My uncle is a State Trooper"...etc.
Old 12-16-10, 01:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 447 Likes on 369 Posts

I'd ask the DMV about it first. If they say it can't, swap a VIN number from a similar Supra.
Old 12-16-10, 09:16 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I see a few R34 Skyline GTRs RHD's running around San Diego from time to time.

I've been amazed at the things I've gotten registered and or pink slips issued for at the DMV, especially jet skis, kinda scary actually how easy it is, some of those DMV people could care less and hate their jobs.
Old 12-17-10, 01:45 AM
Ethix
Driver

I hope everyone knows that swapping VINs is illegal. You get caught with swapped VINs and you can say goodbye to the car and that's the least of your problems at that point. This probably doesn't need to be said, but you never know.

It would probably be easier/cheaper to just find an NA Supra that is US spec. $9500 isn't worth the hassle of getting it titled and registered here. Maybe if they wanted <$5000 it would be worth it, but not for $9500.

The only way I've heard that sounded semi-legal for a JDM Supra was to buy it in Canada (with a Canadian title) and drive it back, but from what I've heard, that isn't even very easy to register.
Old 12-17-10, 02:12 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I see a few R34 Skyline GTRs RHD's running around San Diego from time to time.

I've been amazed at the things I've gotten registered and or pink slips issued for at the DMV, especially jet skis, kinda scary actually how easy it is, some of those DMV people could care less and hate their jobs.
those R34s were grandfathered in before the end of motorex. as it stands, there are a fair few r32/33/34 GT-Rs running around the US that are gray market (you generally see them go for 15k-35k) as well as actually legalized R33s (and some 32s and 34s) from back when motorex was operating and then grandfathered through the system when motorex went under. (those federalized R3x cars generally fetch easy 50-60k+ (for R32s) and up compared to the grey market, not exactly legal, GT-Rs)

Originally Posted by Ethix
I hope everyone knows that swapping VINs is illegal. You get caught with swapped VINs and you can say goodbye to the car and that's the least of your problems at that point. This probably doesn't need to be said, but you never know.

It would probably be easier/cheaper to just find an NA Supra that is US spec. $9500 isn't worth the hassle of getting it titled and registered here. Maybe if they wanted <$5000 it would be worth it, but not for $9500.

The only way I've heard that sounded semi-legal for a JDM Supra was to buy it in Canada (with a Canadian title) and drive it back, but from what I've heard, that isn't even very easy to register.
swapping vins is a Felony offense. no way around it.

importing from canada doesnt work either, as you still cannot get the car federalized without going through a registered importer ($$$y and still has to be brought into compliance if a procedure exists for that model). remember, just because you get it registered at your state's DMV doesn't mean that your insurance (or the federal govt) will accept it as legal. (btw, customs can come after you too, as non-registered vehicles brought into the country for street use (not on a temporary basis) are not tariff'd propery.
Old 12-18-10, 05:46 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should post up in the Florida forum. Roger drives a RHD Supra and he has it registered in FL. That might be a good place to start.