Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scratched Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 01:35 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratched Loaner

Hey guys, had to take the car in to Lexus. Got a loaner and it looks like someone backed into it and scratched the rear bumper while doing some xmas shopping. I don't think buffing it out will make much of a difference. Do you guys know if dealership will make me pay for damages? Dealership is newport lexus

Last edited by GTSLEX; 12-13-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 01:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Hey guys, had to take the car in to Lexus. Got a loaner and it looks like someone backed into it and scratched the rear bumper while doing some xmas shopping. I don't think buffing it out will make much of a difference. Do you guys know if dealership will make me pay for damages?
Maybe.
My dealer does a walk around the loaner with me and I sign paperwork with any issues or no issues.
Old 12-13-10, 01:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Be prepared to pay. The exact same thing happened to me about 4 months ago and I shelled out $750 for it.
Old 12-13-10, 01:52 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Be prepared to pay. The exact same thing happened to me about 4 months ago and I shelled out $750 for it.
Which dealership? Were you honest with the dealer and told them up front when you returned the car? How bad were your damages?

My loaner already had some scratches on the bumper, but it was on the other side of where my damage occured. May be I can get away with it.
Old 12-13-10, 02:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Which dealership? Were you honest with the dealer and told them up front when you returned the car? How bad were your damages?

My loaner already had some scratches on the bumper, but it was on the other side of where my damage occured. May be I can get away with it.
I would think the extent of the damage and how good of a customer you are would be in play.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-13-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 02:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

This was a dealership here, so I doubt it's familiar for you. I called the dealership as soon as it happened and they instructed me to call and have a police report filed.

The damage was not severe - a few scratches and some small denting on the drivers side of the rear bumper. The foglight and assy were broken, which was the larger part of the expense.
Old 12-13-10, 02:15 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This was a dealership here, so I doubt it's familiar for you. I called the dealership as soon as it happened and they instructed me to call and have a police report filed.

The damage was not severe - a few scratches and some small denting on the drivers side of the rear bumper. The foglight and assy were broken, which was the larger part of the expense.

wow, the damage on my loaner are not as bad as yours.. The only thing that occured was some deep scratches, but not very large in size. There are just a few 1/2 to 1 inch scratches. on the lower half of the bumper.
Old 12-13-10, 02:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Expect round 300 bucks
Old 12-13-10, 04:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Negotiate on whatever they quote, assuming you are a valued customer.

Some of the loaner cars that I've received at my Lexus dealership were in crap condition (in terms of condition of paint/finish).
Old 12-13-10, 04:21 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Happened to me once. light bumper paint exchange/dent. I told my SA when I got there and he let it slide.
Old 12-13-10, 06:12 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it real dirty!
Old 12-13-10, 06:34 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whatever the cheapest,,ur insurance deductible or how much dealership want,,
Old 12-13-10, 06:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you know, just be honest with your SA, call him ahead of time and tell him what happened (that it's backed into, not you ran into something), then bring in the car and see what they do. sometimes honesty goes a long way (and also your relationship with the SA)
Old 12-13-10, 07:32 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rominl
you know, just be honest with your SA, call him ahead of time and tell him what happened (that it's backed into, not you ran into something), then bring in the car and see what they do. sometimes honesty goes a long way (and also your relationship with the SA)
X3. You need to follow the honesty policy. You are not a 10 year old hiding a cookie from your mom, and while it sucks someone did it, you signed off on being responsible.

They may excuse it if it can mostly be polished out since this is likely not the last time it will see a brush with death (the bumper, not the car overall).

Big Mack
Old 12-13-10, 11:09 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just bring it back and hope they don't see it, well atleast that the rule here, I live in brooklyn so bumpers are always beat up. Funny i even rented a enterprise rental car and they told me they don't even look at bumpers unless its a big noticeable brush on the bumper. Its a bumper it was meant to be hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Scratched Loaner