Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 02:27 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The CEO of GM shows no humbility and doesn't give credit where credit is due. The Prius is the king of hybrids and the Volt is a new contender with no proven history which costs way too much. We will have to see what happens to the Volt...the Volt shoulda been dead on arrival but the U.S. Government bailed out Government Motors. Government Motors should have their tail between their legs but those are fighting words and you don't want to wake up the dragon...

Last edited by Trexus; 12-14-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 03:29 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
The CEO of GM shows no humbility and doesn't give credit where credit is due. The Prius is the king of hybrids and the Volt is a new contender with no proven history which costs way too much. We will have to see what happens to the Volt...the Volt shoulda been dead on arrival but the U.S. Government bailed out Government Motors. Government Motors should have their tails between their legs but those are fighting words and you don't want to wake up the dragon...
I agree completely

Old 12-14-10, 03:40 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to break it to you, Mr. Akerson, but the Volt isn't exactly what I'd refer to as a looker either.
Old 12-14-10, 03:51 PM
WAES300
Driver

Good point that many current Prius owners might be looking into the Volt. That said, I'm sure this comment lost a few customers at least.

As for the Prius, this current generation they got looks pretty cool, especially compared to the previous generations. I would rather be caught in one as opposed to any of the crap-tacular GM's...At least the Toyota could run until I die
Old 12-14-10, 04:34 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I thought this was pretty funny and if it is not appropriate plz delete.

Old 12-14-10, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't know of anyone alive who'd love to be in a GM product...
GM is making some nice products now. I wouldn't mind one bit having a new Chevy Malibu or Buick LaCrosse/Regal in my driveway, especially a LaCrosse AWD. I have a high opinion of all three of these models. And the upcoming Chevy Cruze looks like it might be a winner, too. The Cadillac CTS Sportwagon, with its dynamite looks, IMO, WOULD be winner if not for its worse-than-average reliability.

I listened to most of the video-rerun of Akerson at the Economic Club. He is one sharp cookie, and no idiot...I found him quite impressive. He is determined not to repeat the mistakes of his predecessors, and he admitted that he did speak with them (and listen to them as well) on the issues that got GM in trouble.

As for the Prius, while I myself agree that it is a geek-mobile to some extent, it is (admittedly) hard to knock the Prius's hybrid system, which, IMO, is much better than equivalent Honda IMA systems. But I found the new 2010 Prius a distinct letdown from the 2Gen model in sheet-metal solidness and the quality/solidness the of interior-fittings. I've discussed this at length in other threads, so I won't rehash the details here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 06:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very interesting, i am soooo sitting here to see how the volt, or gm in general, change for yrs to come
Old 12-14-10, 08:00 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, I'd be caught dead in a GM car enroute to jail, a hospital or a funeral home...

And as soon as the treasury frees themselves of GM and Chrysler, they'll go back to their old selves slowly but surely.
Old 12-14-10, 08:02 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't know of anyone alive who'd love to be in a GM product...
Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V.

I've just named three GM products I'd rather own than ANY TOYOTA. And virtually every gearhead would agree with me.
Old 12-14-10, 08:34 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madoka
Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V.

I've just named three GM products I'd rather own than ANY TOYOTA. And virtually every gearhead would agree with me.
Speak for yourself.

(Kinda curious why you have two Toyotas in your garage if you feel this way? )

There are only 3 versions of the Corvette that are truly appealing (ZR1, Z06 and GrandSport) and they are very limited as far as daily driveability in most markets.

The Camaro isn't appealing at all, imo.

The CTS-V is a beast but once again appeals to a limited demographic.

Fact of the matter is that GM should have been allowed to die and douchebag comments like this one from their new CEO isn't going to help increase sales.
Old 12-14-10, 08:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It's silly to still think that GM cars are no good. GM is building a lot of cars I wouldn't mind owning. I think they're actually design leaders and quality is now very good in most cases. They are also becoming one of the fuel efficiency leaders.

Of course the problem many have is based on the bailout. That's a legitimate reason to not buy their products if you so choose. Fact is though, is that they now build a helluva lineup.

It was a stupid statement by the CEO though. The Prius sells more than all other hybrids combined. Who cares if the Prius has a "geeky" stereotype. Isn't tech based geekyness cool these days? Was it not "geeky" to own or simply use a computer 15-20 years ago? Now, if you don't own a computer, you're either a homeless person or over 80 years old.

I think those who are against owning a Prius based on image have insecurities with themselves. Those that need a muscle car or truck to compensate for something.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 12-14-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i myself am not interested in vette, camero, or cts-v at all
Old 12-14-10, 09:34 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by rominl
i myself am not interested in vette, camaro, or cts-v at all
x2. I have always and will always hate Corvettes. The new Camaro and the new Challenger look too similar, and I don't really like either of them for style. Plus, the new Mustang is a far better buy and kicks the crap out of bofum. I could never own a CTS (or almost any other Cadillac) because I cannot stand angular designs. I think it is the height of ignorance to not be able to use a curve in automotive design. Do they not teach the Cadillac engineers that you can use more than a brake to form sheet metal?

As for Akerson's comment, it's the height of stupidity, but perhaps he'll learn when the Volt doesn't gain traction due to the high cost. Then what does GM do? That's the question I'd like asked. They are betting on a vehicle that has never been sold, and has a very high cost. Yes, there are incentives that will bring it down, but the Prius has a serious lead in the market, and I don't see many people beating down the door to get a GM, especially because many are angry about the bailout money. While I understand why they couldn't be allowed to fail, I also understand the sentiment in today's economy.

Big Mack
Old 12-14-10, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V.

Yes b/c Toyota makes vehicles that compete with the cars you named. Smh..

A lot of gearheads have no desire to support a bailed out company either.

Old 12-14-10, 10:00 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GM does make a very good hybrid - it's called a Gillig Low Floor or a New Flyer DE40LF/DE60LF low-floor bus with an Allison/GM EP40/EP50 hybrid system.

Quick Reply: GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"