Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 10:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i myself am not interested in vette, camero, or cts-v at all
Same here, zero interest in ownership now and in the past.
Old 12-15-10, 01:07 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes b/c Toyota makes vehicles that compete with the cars you named. Smh..
You keep missing the point. Toyota makes boring cars. In comparison, GM has a 550+ HP sedan that retails for $65K. The Z06 sells for $20K less than the GTR and is incredibly cheap to maintain. The Camaro was named World Car Design of the Year, Automobile Magazine All-Star, Ward's Interior of the Year, Kiplinger's and KBB Best Resale Value, Motor Trend's Driver's Choice, and a Consumer's Digest Best Buy. If these cars don't excite you, then maybe you really aren't into cars and you should go back to driving your hybrids and Camrys. To claim that GM doesn't have good products is frankly as stupid, if not more so, than what the GM CEO said.
Old 12-15-10, 01:18 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I see it, GM's CEO is talking like the proud parent of a kid who's about to step up the the plate for the first time at a baseball game. He's huffing and puffing and thinking his kid's gonna hit a home run.

The Volt is a brand new car testing out brand new technology. We all know that there is ALWAYS problems with a first generation car. Look at the Camaro. Didn't it have initial tranny problems? The Volt has way more unproven technology so I expect owners to have some problems. Get the popcorn ready.

But I guess that's the price you pay for not being caught dead in a Prius.
Old 12-15-10, 05:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Best MPG car that Chevrolet built was the old Geo Metro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro#Geo_Metro, 42 MPG
Old 12-15-10, 06:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
You keep missing the point. Toyota makes boring cars. In comparison, GM has a 550+ HP sedan that retails for $65K. The Z06 sells for $20K less than the GTR and is incredibly cheap to maintain. The Camaro was named World Car Design of the Year, Automobile Magazine All-Star, Ward's Interior of the Year, Kiplinger's and KBB Best Resale Value, Motor Trend's Driver's Choice, and a Consumer's Digest Best Buy. If these cars don't excite you, then maybe you really aren't into cars and you should go back to driving your hybrids and Camrys. To claim that GM doesn't have good products is frankly as stupid, if not more so, than what the GM CEO said.
"you keep missing the point"? Maybe "you keep being condescending"?

Maybe "you are missing the point"? Gasp, perish the thought, that people might not like GM vehicles or have no interest in the vehicles YOU like! Enthusiasts don't have to be people that only want V-8s and sports cars. Enthusiasts can be people interested in quality and MPG. There is no "only one kind" of enthusiast.

Can you please defend the bailouts b/c its funny you are debating the "good cars" part but not the bailout part, which is the main part of most peoples arguments.
Damn geeks!

Old 12-15-10, 08:43 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I love the looks of the New Prius. In my opinion it looks MUCH better than that POS Volt. Let's see how reliable these Volts are. GM always talks big but 99% of the time fails to deliver a quality product.
Old 12-15-10, 08:47 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
How many awards would they have without our tax dollars? As far as I'm concerned, the morons at GM should be unemployed right now. This is not the way capitalism was designed to work....
Old 12-15-10, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Best MPG car that Chevrolet built was the old Geo Metro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro#Geo_Metro, 42 MPG
Gotta remember two things, though. First, like the reliable Chevrolet/Geo Nova/Prizm (which were rebadged Corollas), the Metro was not a true GM design...it was a redone Suzuki Sprint. GM, in those days, did a number of rebadged Toyota, Suzuki, and Isuzu products. Second, the three-cylinder Metro XFi did indeed have excellent mileage (50-60 MPG on the highway), but it had the body structure and sheet metal of a tin can (you could bend and warp the hood back and forth with your hands), and would not pass today's safety and emissions rules.
Old 12-15-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
As far as I'm concerned, the morons at GM should be unemployed right now. This is not the way capitalism was designed to work....
And where would they be if that had happened? Right back on unemployment benefits (once the union-benefits ran out), taking more public dollars. So, it would have been public money either way.....bailout or unemployment benefits. The money comes from the same taxpayers (you and me), either way.

Same, of course, with Chrysler, although that is another topic. And Chrysler, unlike GM, became Fiat's problem.....itself, of course, a company with heavy investment by the Italian government.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-15-10, 09:59 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap, the 3rd gen Prius looks HOT on a drop and some proper wheels.
Old 12-15-10, 11:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I wouldn't mind having a Prius for a daily driver since they're cheaper and efficient. GM sucks now. They had a pretty solid lineup with Pontiac, the Corvette, Camaro, XLR and some of the Cadillacs, but they killed a good portion of their good cars. Most cars today just straight up suck and look like "geek-mobiles" in my opinion and that goes for all major brands...
Old 12-15-10, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And where would they be if that had happened? Right back on unemployment benefits (once the union-benefits ran out), taking more public dollars. So, it would have been public money either way.....bailout or unemployment benefits. The money comes from the same taxpayers (you and me), either way.
no way. while yes, it would have been taxpayer money either way, 50bn is WAAAAAAAAAY more than the unemployment benefits would have been. plus, the UAW retirement benefits NEEDED to be changed/lessened, but the bail out kept them in place which is absurd in this economy.

while i like some gm products, i will NEVER, EVER consider buying one until ALL the money is paid back, and despite claikms, they're nowhere close and likely never will be.
Old 12-15-10, 01:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I wouldn't mind having a Prius for a daily driver since they're cheaper and efficient. GM sucks now. They had a pretty solid lineup with Pontiac, the Corvette, Camaro, XLR and some of the Cadillacs, but they killed a good portion of their good cars. Most cars today just straight up suck and look like "geek-mobiles" in my opinion and that goes for all major brands...
You really think the days of plastic Pontiac's was a better GM? Pontiac was a major downfall for GM and led them to near extinction. Thank God Pontiac is gone.

Today's GM lineup is far and away the best lineup they've ever had.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no way. while yes, it would have been taxpayer money either way, 50bn is WAAAAAAAAAY more than the unemployment benefits would have been. plus, the UAW retirement benefits NEEDED to be changed/lessened, but the bail out kept them in place which is absurd in this economy.

while i like some gm products, i will NEVER, EVER consider buying one until ALL the money is paid back, and despite claims, they're nowhere close and likely never will be.
Perhaps, but not necessarily "way" more. Not with the current government extending unemployment beyond 100 weeks. And you can bet just about every laid off employee would take advantage and go to the limit. And since replacing a high paying manufacturing job is damn near impossible, they'd have no choice anyway.

That said, a proper bankruptcy probably would have kept GM's doors open for a restructuring, thus maintaining a large portion of those employees.
Old 12-15-10, 02:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I can see it now, "the chicks really dig my new Volt."
Old 12-15-10, 02:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

GM has made nothing but miserable junk for about three decades. Even the Corvette, which is capable as a sports car, was built with vomit inducing quality in mind.

So they got 80 billion in bailout money and finally made some products that are more or less up to par. Hell, give 80bn to a janitor at McDonalds, and he'll be able to build decent cars.

The bottom line is that most of their products still suck. They still don't have any mainstream family models that don't induce vomit.

The volt is a bunch of hype and without government incentives it will be a major fail. People can hate on the Prius and other Toyotas as much as they want, but in the end of the day, the competition WISHES that even the most boring Toyotas were their models instead.

Toyota pioneered hybrids with the Prius and I believe Prius is still the only hybrid that actually turns profit. The commie douches at GM have no idea what profit is.

Quick Reply: GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"