Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 4x4 of the Year (nominee): Lexus GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 01:31 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 4x4 of the Year (nominee): Lexus GX 460

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature...ium/index.html

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium
From the February, 2011 issue of 4Wheel & Off-Road
By Fred Williams
Photography by 4-Wheel & Off-Road Staff, Frank Kaisler

Lexus is the luxury arm of Toyota, and the Lexus GX 460 is the luxury version of the foreign SUV the Prado. The Prado shares many suspension components with the Toyota FJ Cruiser, and since the FJ Cruiser is one of the most capable 4x4s in Toyota's current fleet, the GX 460 should be fairly capable. And it is, to a point.

In 2003 the GX 470 won 4x4 of the Year, and this new GX grows off of that truck with many improvements. The slightly smaller 4.6L (281.2ci) V-8 offers 301 hp and 329 lb-ft of torque. A six speed transmission follows with a fulltime transfer case. The Lexus has kept a solid rear axle, but there is no locking rear differential as in prior GXs as well as 4Runners and FJ Cruisers.

Underneath, the transmission pan and exhaust seem susceptible to trail damage, and oddly the gas tank is only partially covered by skidplates. There are front and rear recovery points, but they are small and look designed as transport tie-downs. Lexus admirably removed the standard running boards, a request we have made countless years to all manufacturers. Unfortunately, we still sent the truck back with rocker panel dings.

For rockcrawling the Lexus carries over the Crawl mode slow-speed, brake-based traction cruise control that we first saw in the latest Land Cruiser as well as last year's 4Runner. This system works well but is noisy, as the brakes constantly lock and unlock to ensure traction. We would rather have a full locking differential option versus techno-wizardry.

The street-spec tires could be improved, as could ground clearance. We would have also appreciated some true rocker protection along the lines of the Grand Cherokee and previously tested Land Cruisers.

In the hillclimb section of our test the GX was capable, but again suffered from AAD (approach angle deficiency). The plastic front bumper sustained more carnage while the tire treads got chewed up hunting for traction. The Crawl mode helped, though many judges found the truck adequate without it stating, "It climbs! It doesn't look like it will, but it does."

As far as looks and amenities go, this $60K-plus sport/ute left us bored. It doesn't look bad, just not exciting. The interior is nice but feels dated, with lots of weird little doors hiding cup holders, cubbies, and dash controls. The component quality is all there, but it feels high-class in an '80s way.

Back in the dirt we noticed the GX had good power for the high-speed runs, but when rattling across washboards it skitted around rather than soaked it up like the two 4WIS contenders. The gated transmission shifter also annoyed drivers trying to shift quickly.

During the sand dune testing, a plethora of warning bells and nannies were yelling at us as we rallied the luxo-Lexus. The engine would rev to the moon but only get to the ground after we worked to shut off stability controls. As with the Raptor, we could notice the solid rear axle compared to the other SUVs.

Overall the Lexus GX 460 is a very nice vehicle. It has many amenities (sometimes too many), a comfortable ride, and adequate power. Unfortunately it also looks and feels too mature for most of our judges. The styling of all Toyota/Lexus SUVs is starting to blur. Other than the 4Runner and FJ, Toyota/Lexus needs to freshen up. If you're living in a retirement community and need a nice capable 4x4, this may be it, but don't expect anyone to confuse you with your grandson in his Raptor.

The Good
•High-revving engine
•Crawl mode works
•Luxurious

The Bad
•Expensive
•No rocker protection
•Boring luxury looks

Last edited by LexusMan77; 12-14-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 02:47 PM
LexFather

Great win for the GX. Its won the 4x4 award a few times. Its just a great real off roader with a luxurious interior. I do agree about the looks, it leaves me cold.

Lets see now. Consumer Reports hot dogs the GX, gives it a "omg u will die" rating, internet goes crazy, every car forum and news channel says Lexus sucks.

GX wins 4x4 award, thread will get 6 replies, no car forums posts, no news

lol

Old 12-14-10, 02:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great win for the GX. Its won the 4x4 award a few times. Its just a great real off roader with a luxurious interior. I do agree about the looks, it leaves me cold.

Lets see now. Consumer Reports hot dogs the GX, gives it a "omg u will die" rating, internet goes crazy, every car forum and news channel says Lexus sucks.

GX wins 4x4 award, thread will get 6 replies, no car forums posts, no news

lol
That's just a fact you have to accept. Anytime you are on top, as with Lexus and Toyota, your competition will be quiet when you do good, but when you slip a little, everybody will go nuts and try to make an elephant out of a mouse trying to tarnish your credibility a little. It sucks but it's the truth.
Old 12-14-10, 03:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that review was thoroughly negative...not sure how it won based on the impressions given above.
Old 12-14-10, 04:04 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, they trashed it pretty good right there.
Old 12-14-10, 04:59 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 2011 4x4 of the Year "WINNER": Land Rover LR4 HSE

4WHEEL & OFF-ROAD magazine is one of my regular subscriptions… the real story is that 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE won the honor of the 4x4 of the year among other three contenders: 2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee & 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.

The 2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium finished last place (maybe third) if I remembered correctly.
Old 12-14-10, 05:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nicely done SUV, given it's intended buyers. GX460 vs Raptor (as mentioned in the article), we know which one sells best for good reasons.
Old 12-14-10, 05:56 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raptor, LR, and Lexus comparison....

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Un............. real............
Old 12-14-10, 06:11 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrat's to the GX. While in Aruba I saw a ton a Prado's there and many were even taxis.
Old 12-14-10, 09:22 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

I've got a 2011 GX460 (800 miles)as a loaner right now while my 07 GS350 is having the recall done. All i can say is that, i am impressed with it! I never looked into the recall, about tipping over a few months back but its a high sittting SUV...if you take curves to fast...you can roll over in almost anything!
Old 12-14-10, 09:39 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did it roll over the competition?

(Somebody had to say it)
Old 12-14-10, 09:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Umm you guys are aware that the GX did NOT win, right? The Land Rover LR4 won. This is just the GX excerpt of that article.
Old 12-14-10, 09:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oops.

someone needs to change the thread title.

the GX came in dead. last.
yaawn
Old 12-14-10, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Reading owned me hard lol

Old 12-14-10, 10:53 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the win.........even if this SUV looks dead boring

Quick Reply: 2011 4x4 of the Year (nominee): Lexus GX 460