Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TN Court: Person who left keys in car responsible when it gets stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 08:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default TN Court: Person who left keys in car responsible when it gets stolen

TN Court: Person who left keys in car responsible when it gets stolen

^^^ (NOOO!!!)

Do you occasionally leave your keys in the car? We all have at one point, be it just running in to the ATM or stopping by a friend's house to drop off a borrowed tool. In that short time you are out of the vehicle, it's quite possible that someone could be watching and take off with your wheels. Since the new "owner" probably doesn't care too much about your vehicle and may be trying to escape from the authorities, it isn't too hard to see how the stolen vehicle could end up in a collision or as the focal point of a tragic accident. If all of the above happens and you live in Tennessee, then prepare to have your cash reserves depleted.

A suit was brought against a man who left his keys in his car, which was promptly stolen and then collided with another vehicle causing injuries to three passengers. Initially, the lawsuit was filed against the city of Murfreesboro and its police department– however, that suit was dismissed by the Tennessee Court of Appeals. But the court is allowing the suit against the owners of the vehicle to continue.

"Negligence" is the Word of the Day for Rubye Jarrell, the registered owner of the car and grandmother to Joseph D. Ash Jr., who apparently left the keys inside. According to the appeals court, it does not matter if the keys were in the ignition or somewhere in plain sight, Jarrell is still liable.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/14/t...hen-it-gets-s/

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-14-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 09:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok.

whose lexus is that ???

who's the dumbass who was texting ?
Old 12-14-10, 10:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This law will be repealed soooo fast when a politician or one of the politicians family members becomes victim of having their car stolen. Mark my words on this. It's easy to punish the people, but the second it happens to them, then it becomes a different story and then the law is unfair.
Old 12-15-10, 06:52 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
This law will be repealed soooo fast when a politician or one of the politicians family members becomes victim of having their car stolen. Mark my words on this. It's easy to punish the people, but the second it happens to them, then it becomes a different story and then the law is unfair.
And the same for when a politician’s family member causes an accident due to texting behind the moving wheel!
I want a serious law to be passed asap as I see way too much ‘near misses’ of people texting at 65mph. It’s downright scary. That’s all it takes to ruin someone else’s family’s life and of course yours.
Old 12-15-10, 07:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While I do feel a person who leaves his keys in his car is creating an "attractive opportunity" for a thief and should possibly bear some responsibility for damages caused in the commission or escape from the theft, it appears the decision might also open the door to a lawsuit by the injured against the owner of the car. In a world where suits are routinely brought against those with the deepest pockets by those looking for a big payday, a Lexus owner needs to be especially careful because he is going to be a lawsuit magnet in these cases. Sorta makes you want to review your liability coverage, doesn't it?
Old 12-15-10, 07:39 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a great way to teach people. Have the keys with you at all times.
Old 12-15-10, 07:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suit will continue. And if it's a jury trial they will be probably be asked to assign (%) portion of blame between criminal driver and registered owner of vehicle. So registered owner most likely will be assigned some percentage of blame greater than 0%.
Old 12-15-10, 08:20 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left my car on at the atm last night... the driver I would think had the key in his pocket (I mean why take it out) so he should technically not have to worry. I'm jus saying I hope nothin like this ever passes anywhere.
Old 12-15-10, 08:23 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you leave your keys in the car, you're a dope. You deserve to have your ride stolen or messed with. How lazy can one be??

While I think it's ok for insurance to deny a claim for damage/theft of a vehicle if keys were left, I don't think it's fair to go beyond that and have the owner responsible or accountable for damages caused by the thief.
Old 12-15-10, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A terrible decision on the court's part. Yes, it's dumb and negligent to leave keys in your car (no one will deny that), but that is not an excuse for someone to just get in and drive off. Car theft is car theft, whether the keys are left inside with the engine running, or the thief has to actually break into the car and hot-wire it. The police know this, and that is why their "Bait" cars (which are electronically wired and controlled) are deliberately left on street corners for potential car thieves to grab and try and drive away.....they drive themselves right into jail. These bait-car stings, BTW, can be seen on some cable-TV/Tru-TV shows.
Old 12-15-10, 10:30 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^I agree 110% with this guy. People do stupid things, personally I've never forgotten my keys in my car or left them in there for extended periods of time, but is that enough reason to punish them? If a thief wants a car, they're going to get it? How many folks here turn their cars on in the cold morning to let it warm up? Would you be so quick to pounce on them for negligence?
Old 12-15-10, 11:03 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That's pretty stupid to hold the vehicle owner accountable for the damages caused by the thief.
Old 12-15-10, 11:31 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You really shouldn't have to worry about things like that. Stealing is stealing. Regardless if the owner left the keys in the car that should not shift the blame on the owner.

Remember back in the Leave It To Beaver days when nobody locked the front doors, EVER?

Do that now and someone will come in, steal your gun and shoot someone. I guess that would leave the owner in jail, right?
Old 12-22-10, 01:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes people leave keys, or keyfobs for moden vehicles, during hot or cold weather for quick stops. I've done it in the past, but now that I read this, I think I wont anymore.
Old 12-22-10, 01:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid law, but I have never left my keys in the car. Even when I go to the ATM I park the car and even make my 7 year old son get out of the car and go to the ATM with me. It's just not worth the risk for me.

Quick Reply: TN Court: Person who left keys in car responsible when it gets stolen