Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pricing for All-New 2011 Lexus CT 200h to Start Below $30,000

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 07:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the price. I think that the HS good enjoy better sales if its price were lowered.

Of note, the 134 HP compact CT is rated for 43/40. The 191 HP midsize MKZ hybrid is rate for 41/36. Something to think about.
Old 12-15-10, 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaa, coz' you can say it's a luxury car
ah of course.

i have a lexus logo on my big ride on lawnmower (for real). guess that makes it luxurious too.
Old 12-15-10, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah of course.

i have a lexus logo on my big ride on lawnmower (for real). guess that makes it luxurious too.
lol, don't you feel that the lawnmower is quieter now?
Old 12-16-10, 01:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

ok guys, CT200h is a nice looking small wagon. question though... BESIDES fuel economy / emissions, what is the benefit of owning this car over many other small 4 door sedans / CUVs? i mean, why would one want a CT200h vs. say a Fusion Hybrid, or a 4 door VW GTI?
It's fun to drive and the Lexus ownership experience > than anything Ford or VW can ever offer.
Old 12-16-10, 04:43 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

ok guys, CT200h is a nice looking small wagon. question though... BESIDES fuel economy / emissions, what is the benefit of owning this car over many other small 4 door sedans / CUVs? i mean, why would one want a CT200h vs. say a Fusion Hybrid, or a 4 door VW GTI?
You can pretty much use that argument with any car. For example, besides owing a Bentley, what's the benefit of owing a Bentley over a Camry which also carries 5 people?

Anyway, I def would rather spend a few thousands more and get a IS350 over this. But that's just me.
Old 12-16-10, 05:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
You can pretty much use that argument with any car. For example, besides owing a Bentley, what's the benefit of owing a Bentley over a Camry which also carries 5 people?
reductio ad absurdum?

the CT200h is a nice looking, fun to drive, unique vehicle (only entry lux small 5 door hybrid hatch?), so perhaps in that regard you're right that comparing it to anything else isn't appropriate.

Anyway, I def would rather spend a few thousands more and get a IS350 over this. But that's just me.
seems to me the CT might suffer from 'not quite this' and 'not quite that'. a bit too small, a bit too slow, a bit too expensive... i don't know. there will be buyers who find the trade-offs right, and perhaps do a lot of city driving where the hybrid will save them money on gas and pollution, and it will probably do better than HS250h but i don't expect big numbers.
Old 12-16-10, 05:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

reductio ad absurdum?

the CT200h is a nice looking, fun to drive, unique vehicle (only entry lux small 5 door hybrid hatch?), so perhaps in that regard you're right that comparing it to anything else isn't appropriate.

seems to me the CT might suffer from 'not quite this' and 'not quite that'. a bit too small, a bit too slow, a bit too expensive ... i don't know. there will be buyers who find the trade-offs right, and perhaps do a lot of city driving where the hybrid will save them money on gas and pollution, and it will probably do better than HS250h but i don't expect big numbers.

Those two things will hurt it a bit,IMO.
The Matrix is 2" longer.1.8L is a bit weak but the CT may feel faster if it handles.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-16-10 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 08:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

seems to me the CT might suffer from 'not quite this' and 'not quite that'. a bit too small, a bit too slow, a bit too expensive... i don't know. there will be buyers who find the trade-offs right, and perhaps do a lot of city driving where the hybrid will save them money on gas and pollution, and it will probably do better than HS250h but i don't expect big numbers.
With that sentiment, the IS250 would be a disappointment. Too small, too slow and a bit expensive (compared to the competition, namely the 328i), BUT it's one of Lexus' best selling models.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Those two things will hurt it a bit,IMO.
The Matrix is 2" longer.1.8L is a bit weak but the CT may feel faster if it handles.
There is no doubt in my mind the CT is more fun to drive than the Matrix. If you're comparing the performance of the Matrix S and the CT, acceleration times may be vary similar. When it comes to the twisties, the CT will do circles around the Matrix all day hands down.
Old 12-16-10, 08:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
s.

There is no doubt in my mind the CT is more fun to drive than the Matrix. If you're comparing the performance of the Matrix S and the CT, acceleration times may be vary similar. When it comes to the twisties, the CT will do circles around the Matrix all day hands down.
I should have been more clearer.I wasn't comparing the CT to the Matrix on speed or handling.Just the length difference.
I meant the CT may feel quicker than it is because of it's handling.
Old 12-16-10, 08:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

With that sentiment, the IS250 would be a disappointment. Too small, too slow and a bit expensive (compared to the competition, namely the 328i), BUT it's one of Lexus' best selling models.
but it does lose out to bmw on sales j/k

i think what paul means is the disadvantage on the ct might have limited its potential. for example, if the size of car is larger, even with the same performance, say making it one of the leaders in its segment, then it will be able to capture more market.
Old 12-16-10, 08:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rominl
but it does lose out to bmw on sales j/k

i think what paul means is the disadvantage on the ct might have limited its potential. for example, if the size of car is larger, even with the same performance, say making it one of the leaders in its segment, then it will be able to capture more market.
LOL that argument can go all day in regards to IS vs. 3. That's a whole different animal.

This car was built with Europe in mind so size and packaging were important in it's development. How can the disadvantages of the CT already limit its potential? It's not even for sale yet for us to make that call. It's a premium hybrid in a small, sporty package. No one even has that yet.
Old 12-16-10, 08:48 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting pre-collision is not standard nor an option on the Canadian model.
Old 12-16-10, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

LOL that argument can go all day in regards to IS vs. 3. That's a whole different animal.

This car was built with Europe in mind so size and packaging were important in it's development. How can the disadvantages of the CT already limit its potential? It's not even for sale yet for us to make that call. It's a premium hybrid in a small, sporty package. No one even has that yet.
of course, everyone can only predict how it goes in the US, you and i included. but the US happens to be on the other side of the spectrum, where everyone wants more space / size. that just seems to be the tendency. fwiw, i do have much higher hope on the ct, i personally always think it can be a good hit for the young new grad market, so i think if marketing is done right, it can capture a good crowd. can't say the same about HS on the other hand
Old 12-16-10, 10:51 AM
LexFather

I am also skeptical of 1,000 a month. However like the HS (which is a sales dude) it will allow Lexus to depend less on RX sales, something Lexus themselves stated. In the past the RX was 50% or maybe higher of sales but now its in the low 40% range and the RX continues to sell like hotcakes so the strategy is working (and the sedans are all older now).

Small expensive hatches don't do well here BUT none have been offered by the Japanese before and none are a hybrid. The CT is not some Toyota rebadge, it is very well done and feels like a baby Lexus.

Paul to your question I have no desire for a Fusion of any kind. I always liked the A3. This makes a great DD, 40 MPG plus with Lexus touches, service and quality. A lot of people are downsizing too and this is another option to downsize too. Unlike the HS, this feels inside like a regular car.

1,000 a month is about 3 a dealer a month I think?

Old 12-16-10, 12:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1,000 a month is about 3 a dealer a month I think?
4, i think?

Quick Reply: Pricing for All-New 2011 Lexus CT 200h to Start Below $30,000