Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pricing for All-New 2011 Lexus CT 200h to Start Below $30,000

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The LFA has a manual prop rod, but made of carbon fiber. Does that mean it shouldn't be a Lexus?
Maybe, maybe not. You might have a point. The LFA, as you note, is an interesting case. You're talking about a 300K-plus car here, but, of course, it's also an exotic, where every pound and ounce of weight reduction is factored in, even a couple of ounces like prop-rods-vs.-struts. And, of course, the LFA is not meant to be the typical Lexus to the typical Lexus owner, but more of a Japanese Lamborghini.
Old 12-21-10, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think Aegee14 has a point here, Ryan. No matter what kind of parts they put into the suspension, IMO, no Lexus-badged product should have a simple, cheap prop-rod.

Of course, that's not necessarily a deal-breaker...........for example, I myself owned a prop-rod Lexus IS300 for some 5 years.
normal lexus, yes. on the lfa? it's all about weight saving. i think using cf pop rod over struts is an indication about how much they care about the weight

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i honestly think that while those two vehicles are amazing engineering and technological exercises, they should never have been developed and were a huge waste of lexus resources.
i can see where you are coming from. but on the other hand i guess it makes a bit sense to those who look for power. gsh is as fast as gs460 and better gas mileage, that's what i see.
Old 12-21-10, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
normal lexus, yes. on the lfa? it's all about weight saving. i think using cf pop rod over struts is an indication about how much they care about the weight.
I agree that the LFA may be an exception.....see my reply to Ryan (flipside909) in post #91, above.
Old 12-21-10, 03:03 PM
LexFather

While I see bit's side of things and I think he is a fair and balanced guy the GSh and LSh also represented the future in 2007. Lexus is a clear step or 2/3 ahead in regards to hybrids and where the market was going. They were tremendous living test beds as well. Today BMW, Benz, Audi, Nissan, Honda are all trying to make competitors to them with even worse results (or they haven't actually sold any yet).

I mean for me, I never thought I'd be a hybrid guy or owner but they do appeal to me. Honestly outside of a F/AMG or something of that nature a regular, pedestrian vehicle doesn't really appeal to me without the hybrid tech. It would have to really be some special edition or something.

The tech will only get more efficient and smaller and better. 10 years from now we will compare the original GSh and LSh and see how far they have come.

Old 12-21-10, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While I see bit's side of things and I think he is a fair and balanced guy the GSh and LSh also represented the future in 2007. Lexus is a clear step or 2/3 ahead in regards to hybrids and where the market was going. They were tremendous living test beds as well. Today BMW, Benz, Audi, Nissan, Honda are all trying to make competitors to them with even worse results (or they haven't actually sold any yet).
Honda, though, notwithstanding the fact (something which you and both agree on) that the Honda IMAs are not as well-engineered or refined as the Toyota/Lexus/Ford units, has at least been selling hybrids in the American market for 10-11 years, about the same length of time as Toyota (and longer than that in the JDM). The German companies you mentioned (BMW, Benz, and Audi) have not yet gotten around to hybrids at all here in America, and Nissan is just getting to them now. Mercedes has promised an electric/hydrogen fuel-cell A/B class, but we're still waiting for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 04:36 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ the ML450 hybrid and S400 hybrid are already on sale in the US, as is the BMW X6 hybrid and 7 series hybrid. Audi's Q5 hybrid is coming out next year.
Old 12-21-10, 08:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda, though, notwithstanding the fact (something which you and both agree on) that the Honda IMAs are not as well-engineered or refined as the Toyota/Lexus/Ford units, has at least been selling hybrids in the American market for 10-11 years, about the same length of time as Toyota (and longer than that in the JDM). The German companies you mentioned (BMW, Benz, and Audi) have not yet gotten around to hybrids at all here in America, and Nissan is just getting to them now. Mercedes has promised an electric/hydrogen fuel-cell A/B class, but we're still waiting for it.
Yeah as RXSF mentioned the GErman hybrids are on sale here already. Mike Honda hybrids, they are not even real hybrids, they are not leading in that area and they are 10-11 years behind Toyota. Their next generations should be better.