Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MEDIC!!! Ram Down!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 05:34 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

a few more...
Attached Thumbnails MEDIC!!! Ram Down!!!-100_0447-medium-.jpg   MEDIC!!! Ram Down!!!-100_0449-medium-.jpg   MEDIC!!! Ram Down!!!-100_0450-medium-.jpg   MEDIC!!! Ram Down!!!-100_0452-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-16-10, 09:06 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This suck since brand new car and holiday getting close too. Speedy repair and back on the road again .
Old 12-16-10, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the accident caused by negligent driver. Looks expensive, but thankfully she was properly insured. Best of luck with a speedy and thorough repair.
Old 12-16-10, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A shame, Josh....right after you and your wife got the truck. Well, as you yourself pointed out, a good body shop is worth its weight in gold. And, you may (get) an added bonus if the body shop goes into all of the truck's cracks and crannies and cleans out all the salt and dirt/crud build-up for you.
Old 12-16-10, 04:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Mike, I am not too concerned about the salt. Whoever had this truck previously took great care of it. It has an undercoat (complete in every lip, corner, nook and cranny) and was washed regularly. The previous owner even kept Car Wash and Detailing Receipts!

Got the estimates today. The average between them, $2,467.42. Only one shop met my criteria. All but Davidson's Collision center wanted to just put a door skin on, sand and paint. Davidson's wants to:

Remove door and replace with new parts from chrysler.
Remove Bed and sand/fill/paint r/h panel, check for structural integrity and replace entire bed if nessecary.
Match paint with laser matching system, and paint entire right side of truck.
Sand/prime/paint rocker panel
Sand/prime/paint C-Pillar
Reinstall bed and adjust.
Old 12-16-10, 04:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Sucks Josh.

Hopefully the body shop takes care of everything to your full satisfaction and this doesn't end up as anything more than a major inconvenience for you.
Old 12-16-10, 04:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That really sucks! Hopefully it gets fixed quickly!
Old 12-16-10, 07:02 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sucks Josh.

Hopefully the body shop takes care of everything to your full satisfaction and this doesn't end up as anything more than a major inconvenience for you.
Major inconvenience? LOL...yeha, about that. I move to Washington State on 12 Jan, and EVERY decent body shop in town is BOOKED SOLID thru 10 Jan.
Originally Posted by Kira X
That really sucks! Hopefully it gets fixed quickly!
not lookin good for the home team, might be driving half a ram to washington
Old 12-18-10, 05:09 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

ok we are good. Goes in the shop Monday, will be out the 29th. I'll post pix when I pick her up.
Old 12-18-10, 05:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Who cares if she is 85? If you can't drive, get off the road. Period.
Agree... unfortunately, all the re-testing for "older" drivers just won't happen... not with a $4 trillion deficit

Originally Posted by Och
It will never be the same sadly
No, it won't
Old 12-18-10, 06:23 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Honestly, its a truck, so it probably will not be the first time it gets damaged. I am not that worried about it, as long as its fixed properly. The fact that it was wrecked is not a huge deal. Fact is, accidents happen every day, and 90% of cars will not go their entire lives without being in one at least once. It was a simple fender bender, despite my being extremely irritated. The fact remains its a very routine repair, with nothing structural/no airbags to replace...so in the end, I'm ok with a new door and a good repair.
Old 12-18-10, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I own a truck/SUV, and use it for driving in less than perfect conditions (like bad weather, heavy traffic, poor parking situations, etc.), essentially used as "urban assault vehicle". So I realize (sadly) that it has more exposure to incidents like this versus my other sport sedans.
Old 12-18-10, 02:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I own a truck/SUV, and use it for driving in less than perfect conditions (like bad weather, heavy traffic, poor parking situations, etc.), essentially used as "urban assault vehicle". So I realize (sadly) that it has more exposure to incidents like this versus my other sport sedans.
Exactly man. 10 Years down the road when I am hauling hay bails, barbed wire rolls, bags of concrete, cinder blocks and lumber, I am really not going to be that worried about it...so why sweat it now if its going to be fixed. The shop I chose does all the repairs on the GSA/GOV's here on post (the suburbans and civilian trucks that the general and staff ride around in), and their BBB rating is A+. They have a laser paint matching system and do not use blending techniques, so I am sure the repair will be superb.
Old 12-18-10, 04:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The shop I chose does not use blending techniques...
...how do they get the paint to match the rest with no blending? Custom mix in any fade from the sun? Even with a laser paint match system, I would think at least some blending would be needed, mostly at the doors since the gap between the bed and cab will allay any minor visual difference in color/clear.

Either way, it's good that you found a shop that will do what you want in that short timeline. Hopefully there are no delays in getting the parts due to holiday shipping times. Weather is killing UPS/FedEx right now...

Big Mack
Old 12-19-10, 10:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Parts are coming from local dealer, all new. They had them in stock (some luck huh?). My understanding of the paint matching system is, they take a chip of the paint from the area they are repairing, and they put it under a laser scanning device. The laser scans, and mixes the paint in the machine to within a certain spec (I am assuming close enough for the difference to be undetectable by the naked eye). Almost half of the truck is being painted, so if it does not match, I will be irate. LOL. I have never heard of this type of paint matching, but they swear by it, and I saw some of their work on the property, cant even tell it was fixed.

Quick Reply: MEDIC!!! Ram Down!!!