Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving German cars + Snow = Useless ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I got 18" Nokia Hakkapeliitta 5 studded winter tires on my IS250 right now (Second winter with this set) and they are great.
That's fine, where they are allowed, but many jurisdictions ban studded tires.

The IS250, BTW, (and now the IS350) come in AWD versions, if desired. The IS250AWD is a big-seller in my area (Washington, D.C. suburbs)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 02:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are fine, it snows like crazy in Europe where they mostly sell and people buy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6yX7...layer_embedded

And of course more proof many have no idea their car is RWD...here are snow chains on teh front of a RWD car

Holy F***!

Old 12-21-10, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are fine, it snows like crazy in Europe where they mostly sell and people buy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6yX7...layer_embedded

And of course more proof many have no idea their car is RWD...here are snow chains on teh front of a RWD car

hahhaa that's too epic, mike!
Old 12-21-10, 02:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
hahhaa that's too epic, mike!
lol Merry X-mas!!

Old 12-21-10, 06:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I read on tirerack tests that modern winter tires do not require studs and that studs actually worsed snow AND ice performance.
Old 12-21-10, 10:38 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's fine, where they are allowed, but many jurisdictions ban studded tires.

The IS250, BTW, (and now the IS350) come in AWD versions, if desired. The IS250AWD is a big-seller in my area (Washington, D.C. suburbs)
http://www.milexautocare.com/steering/steer6.htm
Old 12-22-10, 07:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
....I'm currently running Continental ExtremeWinterContacts. Great European winter tire. One of the Tire Rack's best winter performers. And very affordable as well....
Had a set on my RX-8, EXCELLENT winter tire

This made my morning!!!!!!
Old 12-22-10, 07:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
So I were at a party Saturday night and since a couple folks had MB & BMWs, allot of folks were saying that with a little bit of snow these expensive cars are useless and they have to park it up for someone with a FWD car to pick them up etc.

I started saying that the correct tires with good thread depth makes a HUGE difference with how a car drives in snow. I inquired if these cars had a dry weather performance type tire or a good all weather tire? No one knew the difference as they were females and family members and not die hard enthausis!?! I then stated if the cars have summer performance tires, then there's a good chance they will not have a good experience in the white stuff. And the cars are all rear-wheel drive & not all-wheel drive models.

Note: Please do not respond like such: It's the driver or were they speeding, etc. I'm looking for more factual experienced responses, thanks.

I'm inquiring whether the "winter mode" if available on these cars are useless?

So my questions is, for those of you that actually own a german can or have had enough time behind one.....and, this is not blizzard driving but more small snow falls...

- How do these RWD cars drive in the snow?
- What type of tires do you have that allows for easy and safe snow driving
- What's your tire depth like (if you remember)
I think too many people have misconceptions about RWD in the snow, in general, due to the fact that most RWD cars come with performance oriented tires, and they fail to make the distinction between car and tire. It's certainly easier to pilot FWD/AWD, but depending on the amount of snow, good all-seasons and especially dedicated winter tires, make all the difference.

With the tires being the only part of the car touching the ground, they're arguably the most important, no matter the layout. I've seen a number of cases where people rely on AWD as the go-to for snow in this area, when at the same time, they neglect their tires, not realizing AWD isn't a direct substitute, but a supplement. The end result is a confidence boost, which can quickly lead to a dangerous situation, especially when it comes time to brake.

Provided you have the space, a one-time dedicated wheel/tire setup can be cheaper in the long run, while providing a broad range of benefits.
Old 12-22-10, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

useless=picking a car for snow based on COO (country of origin), without taking into account tires, traction control and stability control systems.

No kidding an old dated (no traction control, no stability control) front heavy (weight on front in high 50's% range) rwd car with summer tires performs poorly in snow.
Old 12-22-10, 10:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X

Provided you have the space, a one-time dedicated wheel/tire setup can be cheaper in the long run, while providing a broad range of benefits.
True. Having two sets of tires is no more expensive than having one set of all-seasons. It is a common misconception that you need to add the full cost of a set of tires to your budget. The only initial expense is buying the second set of wheels to prevent having to mount/demount tires from the same wheels each year. For many, buying an aftermarket set is a must anyway. You then use aftermarkets for the non-winter months and the stocks for winter.

The reason why the tire cost isn't more is because you're only using one set of tires at a time, thus increasing the span of time you own your tires.
Old 12-22-10, 10:25 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
True. Having two sets of tires is no more expensive than having one set of all-seasons. It is a common misconception that you need to add the full cost of a set of tires to your budget. The only initial expense is buying the second set of wheels to prevent having to mount/demount tires from the same wheels each year. For many, buying an aftermarket set is a must anyway. You then use aftermarkets for the non-winter months and the stocks for winter.

The reason why the tire cost isn't more is because you're only using one set of tires at a time, thus increasing the span of time you own your tires.
^^^
This!

I have a storage unit that is half filled up with our second sets of wheels/tires...lol.

As for RWD not being as capable in the winter, I could link the threads from the F forum from the owners that don't have any issues in the snow/ice.
Old 12-22-10, 06:33 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

AWD/4WD is only as good as the tires that are on the vehicle, I have seen plenty of SUV clearly off the road in snow cause they could not get traction.

Back in the day when AWD did not exist and FWD was still fairly new, and most cars where large RWD heavy American sedans, you put snow tires on them and away you went, some added extra weight in the trunk but modern cars are pretty evenly weight distributed

Several years ago I went to a snow driving event that was held by one of the local dealers, a dozen or so Bimmers and other random RWD's with snow tires, and several SUV with all season tires, the coolest part about the event was the instructor showed me how to do donuts around the SUV, later in the evening the instructor showed me how to improve my snow driving in my 4Runner

Tires are the most important part of the car, most are not even aware of it.
Old 12-22-10, 08:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are snow tires relatively new, or have they been around for a while?

Were they around before tubeless tires?
Old 12-22-10, 08:36 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I've put 90k miles on my 323i, roughly 25k of that in Chicago winters, and have no problems whatsoever. My car actually drives better in the snow than my father-in-law's Sebring Convertible. Both have the same tires--Continental ExtremeContact DWS--which is about the best ultra high performance all-season tires I've found thus far at handling snow and rain.

On my next car I'll probably rock a set of snow tires, but I don't want to on this one because it's a decade old and I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep it. So the wheel/tire investment just isn't worth it.