Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyped hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 11:11 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if the Volt normally sells at $41K (notwithstanding the inevitable early-production dealer mark-ups, of course), and Uncle Sam gives you a 10K credit, you're still talking 30-31K.....which is about what you'd pay for some versions of the top-level Phase V Prius. And keep in mind that the Prius may also qualify for tax credits as well.....maybe not the full 10K, as for the Volt.

If it were my money, for the 31K you'd spend for a Volt or a top-line Prius V, I'd look for a lower-equipped Lexus CT hybrid instead (for several reasons) and just accept (maybe) a few less MPG.
Good luck trying to get one at $31/41K. At the car show that just passed, sticker was $45K. Even the one in the article was $43k. Oh... and don't forget the "market adjustment." It's too expensive... PERIOD.
Old 12-22-10, 12:25 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope that the Volt's designers have come up with some kind of automatic gas-engine-on feature at certain intervals, even with a high battery charge, to keep that from happening.
As BNR noted, yes the Volt it smart enough to keep cycling as needed. But you also need to realize that the gas engine in the Volt isn't undergoing the same pressures of a gas engine that drives the wheels. When you floor it while using the extended range, the engine won't ramp up like current cars/hybrids. It's simply running the generator to charge the batteries.

I'm surprised at the negativity of this car chat forum against the Volt.
Old 12-22-10, 06:21 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Given all of the techology in this car, I too am surprised that it isn't a better performer. However, like many GM products, the first go round is often poor. Wait for the 2nd gen. Volt before you buy.
Old 12-22-10, 10:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
As BNR noted, yes the Volt it smart enough to keep cycling as needed. But you also need to realize that the gas engine in the Volt isn't undergoing the same pressures of a gas engine that drives the wheels. When you floor it while using the extended range, the engine won't ramp up like current cars/hybrids. It's simply running the generator to charge the batteries.
It's engine drive the wheels directly under certain situration. GM lied to the world initially.

Because it is a highly hyped up low performer, non-fanboys can see the truth
Old 12-22-10, 10:09 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What were sales goals?
Volt or Smart?
Old 12-22-10, 01:41 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a situation. If you drive the Volt to and from work daily with a round trip commute of around 40 miles, plug the car in every night to charge with electricity kWh cost around 17 cents and as low as 13 cents if you opt for the electric companies Plug in Charging Station option, How effective would the Volt then be?

Regular gas prices are around $3.45 with premium around $3.65, so over all it still seems like the Volt is very effective in what buyers would use this vehicle for even with the test numbers shown in the article. Nobody would really be stupid enough to take the Volt on a 200 mile road trip, or drive without charging for an extra 130 miles without charging. These cars are simply daily commuters. Maybe the next generation of cars will have much larger cruising ranges and then its function will change, but for now these are just daily commuters.

The real problem I see with the Volt is the high MSRP.
Old 12-22-10, 02:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
If this car were priced in the low $30s it would make much more sense.
Old 12-22-10, 03:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
yup, if you do the math, it is really dumb.

Let's just say you can buy a Volt at MSRP of $41k, -$7.5k government tax credit = $33.5k.

In my opinion the Volt is equal to a $18k gas only econobox.

$33.5k - $18k = $15,500 paying for the electric drive.

$15.5k can buy 5166 gallons of gas at $3 per gallon.

Modern econobox average at least 30 mpg now a days, 5166 gallons of gas can go 155k miles.

So the Volt start saving you money after you drive it 155k miles. But guess what, the batteries need replacement around that time, if not sooner. So the Volt would never save it's owner any gas money in it's life time.
Old 12-22-10, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Good luck trying to get one at $31/41K. At the car show that just passed, sticker was $45K. Even the one in the article was $43k. Oh... and don't forget the "market adjustment." It's too expensive... PERIOD.
Yes, I agree. That is why I said, in my post, that it was a hypothetical figure, assuming no dealer mark-ups. But hot new models almost always carry those mark-ups.
Old 12-22-10, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't really post anything negative about it, except to consider the almost-inevitable dealer-markups (which are not the car's fault), and to question whether the designers had came up with a system to keep the gas-engine running long enough to keep its internals lubed and warmed, that's all. I am holding off on any other comments (good or bad) until I get a chance to see and test-drive it in person.
Old 12-22-10, 04:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
yup, if you do the math, it is really dumb.

Let's just say you can buy a Volt at MSRP of $41k, -$7.5k government tax credit = $33.5k.

Modern econobox average at least 30 mpg now a days, 5166 gallons of gas can go 155k miles.

So the Volt start saving you money after you drive it 155k miles. But guess what, the batteries need replacement around that time, if not sooner. So the Volt would never save it's owner any gas money in it's life time.
post of the day. volt is only for true believers and the arithmetically challenged.
Old 12-22-10, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34

Your math has some truth to it, but it's still a case, to some extent, of apples and oranges. You simply cannot put that kind of technology into a car for only 18K and make any money. The question here is (and, of course, tied in with the thread topic)......is the Volt actually worth its actual selling price, even without an added dealer mark-up? I'm generally with you...probably not. But some buyers, of course, will scoop the car up for its panache, publicity, environmental statement (the car often runs at zero emissions), and the chance to be the first one on the block to own one, price independent. But as for further comments, like I said above, I'll wait for a review/test-drive (if any unsold ones are available).

Depends on when the battery-pack actually requires replacement. First, they are usually designed to last the design-life of the vehicle.....at least 150K. Second, manufacturers usually warrant the battery-pack for 8-10 years and 100-120K miles.
Old 12-22-10, 10:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Your math has some truth to it, but it's still a case, to some extent, of apples and oranges. You simply cannot put that kind of technology into a car for only 18K and make any money. The question here is (and, of course, tied in with the thread topic)......is the Volt actually worth its actual selling price, even without an added dealer mark-up? I'm generally with you...probably not. But some buyers, of course, will scoop the car up for its panache, publicity, environmental statement (the car often runs at zero emissions), and the chance to be the first one on the block to own one, price independent.
Oh yeah, everyone who buy a Volt today is simply for the novelty factor, just like how all those guys who bought a Smart Fortwo (the worst car ever made). I was just pointing out that a lot of people think just because they uses less gas, they are saving money. They failed to look at the initial price differences. Like how bitkahuna put it, they are arithmetically challenged

But as for further comments, like I said above, I'll wait for a review/test-drive (if any unsold ones are available).
I drove the Prius, the HS250h and the Leaf.........I don't need to drive the Volt anymore, it is just another under power econobox. The only good thing with them is, econoboxes at this level usually have very loud and rough engine, but the electric motor is as smooth and quiet as the V8 in my LS430 UL.

Depends on when the battery-pack actually requires replacement. First, they are usually designed to last the design-life of the vehicle.....at least 150K. Second, manufacturers usually warrant the battery-pack for 8-10 years and 100-120K miles.
That's why I said at 155k miles, it might start to need some new batteries. But I did heard that Prius don't need new battery until after 300k+ miles.
Old 12-22-10, 11:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
post of the day. volt is only for true believers and the arithmetically challenged.
Road and Track magazine did the same math comparing the BMW 335i and 335d, they compared their price and MPG differences.

You start saving money on fuel after 100k miles with the diesel, most people don't keep their cars for longer then 100k miles

My point is, you don't buy diesel, electric hybrids and electric cars to save money on fuel