Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyped hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 04:08 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyped hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-for-a-hybrid/
Old 12-20-10, 07:54 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I think the Volt is just the product of a hype machine. It's numbers aren't anything 'out-of-this-world' and it's EXPENSIVE... Even with the $10K government rebate. The more I read the auto "magazines" view on the car, the more I think it's just a marketing baby. Car and Driver, Automobile, and Motor Trend jizzed in their pants when they heard an American car manufacturer might be making the vehicle that saves us from the evil Oil companies. It's a step in the right direction, but I honestly think that it'll be yet ANOTHER flop to come from GM. I see the Leaf being more successful than the Volt.
Old 12-20-10, 08:09 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Once all the hype for the Volt is done, everyone will really take a look and see how useless it is.
Old 12-20-10, 08:25 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

American marketing, as seen here also:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-of-hate.html

Hype up America's hybrids and downplay other foreign hybrids...which are better.
Old 12-21-10, 12:14 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's if you look at it as a hybrid. But, for most commutes, people will be able to run their Volt solely on battery power. Meaning they'd never use the gas part of it (only when the Volt turns it on every so often to keep the fuel going through). Only when you normally go into extended range would it kick into the semi-hybrid mode.

I for one think that the Volt is a pretty substantial accomplishment and one that is definitely going to change the way people think and accept plug in technology.

I think the Volt will run over the Leaf at this stage of the game due to its extended range capabilities.
Old 12-21-10, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

they'll sell a few volts to the true believers but it makes no sense economically.
Old 12-21-10, 01:18 PM
LexFather

Good article. Going to be interesting what these first few Volt owners say on forums

Old 12-21-10, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
I think the Volt is just the product of a hype machine. It's numbers aren't anything 'out-of-this-world' and it's EXPENSIVE... Even with the $10K government rebate.
Well, if the Volt normally sells at $41K (notwithstanding the inevitable early-production dealer mark-ups, of course), and Uncle Sam gives you a 10K credit, you're still talking 30-31K.....which is about what you'd pay for some versions of the top-level Phase V Prius. And keep in mind that the Prius may also qualify for tax credits as well.....maybe not the full 10K, as for the Volt.

If it were my money, for the 31K you'd spend for a Volt or a top-line Prius V, I'd look for a lower-equipped Lexus CT hybrid instead (for several reasons) and just accept (maybe) a few less MPG.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
That's if you look at it as a hybrid. But, for most commutes, people will be able to run their Volt solely on battery power. Meaning they'd never use the gas part of it (only when the Volt turns it on every so often to keep the fuel going through). Only when you normally go into extended range would it kick into the semi-hybrid mode.
Meaning that, if you don't run the car far enough or let the battery-pack charge get low enough, the gas engine might not (?) run enough to even keep the oil warm and the fluids circulating. That, of course, can lead to engine wear/corrosion damage from non-use. A gas engine cannot simply sit all the time. It has to run to keep its innards lubricated, free of corrosion, anti-freeze coolant warm, and moisture/contaminents out of the oil system. I hope that the Volt's designers have come up with some kind of automatic gas-engine-on feature at certain intervals, even with a high battery charge, to keep that from happening. And most hybrids, of course, use an electric heat-pump compressor for the climate control so that you have heat or A/C when the gas engine is off.
Old 12-21-10, 04:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope that the Volt's designers have come up with some kind of automatic gas-engine-on feature at certain intervals, even with a high battery charge, to keep that from happening.
Yes the Volt's engine is programmed to come on periodically to keep everything healthy, even if the batteries don't need any charging by the engine.
Old 12-21-10, 04:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good article. Going to be interesting what these first few Volt owners say on forums
The 1st batch of Volt owners will love every single thing about it, it is the best car ever made in the history of man kind. Because they are all fanboys
Old 12-21-10, 04:57 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

fanboys exactly... overrated car of the year
Old 12-21-10, 05:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
fanboys exactly... overrated car of the year
There are tons of novelty lovers in this world. Even the worse car ever made, the Smart Fortwo, found a tons of buyers in the 1st year. Sales is now completely dead after all the fanboys bought one.
Old 12-21-10, 05:32 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

Hybrids and electrics will always be about economics, the balance of the cost of fuel vs the cost (or payments) of the car.

the cost of driving a small hybrid is giving up the enjoyment of a luxury car experience. the gain of a hybrid is the savings in gas. these two forces have to make sense. If the cost of a hybrid is too high, it will take longer to make up for it with the savings in gas, this in return, the longer you have to be little tiny, dorky looking box. The cheaper the hybrid, the faster you see your net savings and the more willing you will be to sacrifice luxury for practicality, which translates to $$$.
Old 12-21-10, 10:28 PM
LexFather

What were sales goals?

Quick Reply: Hyped hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid