Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fox News attacks first Nissan Leaf owner, engages in a lot of hate

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 05:32 PM
LexFather

Post Fox News attacks first Nissan Leaf owner, engages in a lot of hate

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/12/19...-engages-hate/

And you thought Fabio got the rough treatment when he went on Fox News. Try being Olivier Chalouhi, the first non-celebrity to take delivery of a Nissan Leaf.

Chalouhi braved the right-wing media machine to talk about his car, but the conversation turned almost immediately into a "bash the unions" segment instead of a real discussion about electric vehicles. There was also a lot of Japan-hating. One example: The host asked, "Why in the world are we paying Olivier $7,500 to buy a Japanese car?" The response (from one of the right-wing commentators), "Because we have a lame-duck Democratic administration that believes in this stuff." That's pure fantasy, since the history of the plug-in vehicle tax credit goes back to October 2008. Not that reality has any real connection to Fox, anyway. The Fox representatives also laughed about how much they enjoy putting gas into their cars, which just makes one's head hurt.

Chalouhi posted the following to the MyNissanLeaf forums about the experience (edited a bit for clarity):

I did check with Nissan Corp before accepting the interview, and yes it was a pure evil setup from Fox.
I wanted to return the question to them with the foreign oil angle, but they wouldn't give me the speech back.
Sorry about that guys, I should have known better, but I don't watch TV, I don't have cable, and I'm not from the U.S. The sad thing is that I'm sure that some Americans will watch this and think, "heh, he's right, why am I paying $7,500 to this guy?" (heh, not only is the car Japanese, but I'm French ) ok, I'll stop here, I don't want to be dragged into political discussions... The car is great ! That's what matters.

The video is unembeddable, so you need to head on over to Fox to watch it. We apologize. Actually, no. Blame Joe V. for the tip.

Old 12-20-10, 05:56 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I strongly dislike foxy news
Old 12-20-10, 05:56 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another reason why I don't watch Fox News.
Old 12-20-10, 06:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sc-driver
Another reason why I don't watch Fox News.
+1....hate Fox now more than ever
Old 12-20-10, 06:12 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Even as someone that shares a lot of conservative views (I'm more moderate than conservative), I think Fox News is a waste of cable space...
Old 12-20-10, 06:53 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sux News......
Old 12-20-10, 07:04 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

never cared for fox news, as i expected this sort of reaction from them. why even grant them the interview to begin with?
Old 12-20-10, 07:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Fox News = GOP News. Although I agree with some, not many conservative views on things, i'm not surprised.

Originally Posted by Fox News
The host asked, "Why in the world are we paying Olivier $7,500 to buy a Japanese car?" The response (from one of the right-wing commentators), "Because we have a lame-duck Democratic administration that believes in this stuff."
What an ignorant statement.
Old 12-20-10, 07:32 PM
WAES300
Driver

Fox news= fox noise. This statement baffles me (Sorry the text didn't show up when I tried to quote it):

"The Fox representatives also laughed about how much they enjoy putting gas into their cars,"

They must enjoy flushing money down the toilet as well. At least that's how I feel every time I put gas in my car, no matter what I'm driving.
Old 12-20-10, 07:43 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

*shrug* I don't know why we're giving anyone $7,500 to buy any car. Who cares if it's Japanese or not?

Originally Posted by Stage3
Even as someone that shares a lot of conservative views (I'm more moderate than conservative), I think Fox News is a waste of cable space...
I would venture that all "news" channels, cable or broadcast, are a waste of space... especially since Headline News decided to abandon its old format, which of course was the only reason anyone watched it in the first place.

Originally Posted by WAES300
Fox news= fox noise. This statement baffles me (Sorry the text didn't show up when I tried to quote it):

"The Fox representatives also laughed about how much they enjoy putting gas into their cars,"

They must enjoy flushing money down the toilet as well. At least that's how I feel every time I put gas in my car, no matter what I'm driving.
It just depends how you want to look at it. I look at gas as part of what allows me to have the driving experience, so I don't mind it. For the same reason, I enjoy the process of buying a car as well; that doesn't mean I like wasting money.
Old 12-20-10, 07:47 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
*shrug* I don't know why we're giving anyone $7,500 to buy any car. Who cares if it's Japanese or not?

I would venture that all "news" channels, cable or broadcast, are a waste of space... especially since Headline News decided to abandon its old format, which of course was the only reason anyone watched it in the first place.

It just depends how you want to look at it. I look at gas as part of what allows me to have the driving experience, so I don't mind it. For the same reason, I enjoy the process of buying a car as well; that doesn't mean I like wasting money.

Correct. All the cable "News" channels are equally bad.
Old 12-20-10, 07:56 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's an analysis / opinion piece on FoxBusiness - not Fox News. They aren't hammering on the guy who bought the Leaf, they are hammering on the government decision to provide a $7500 tax credit to the buyers of electric vehicles as an incentive to build market penetration of electric vehicles. I'm not sure when that particular program started, but similar incentives have been around for a while to encourage the development of alternative fuel vehicles.

The owner did a good job of explaining the utility of an electric car - as a daily commuter vehicle - not for going to Tahoe. Heck, residents of senior citizen communities around the country have been on the cutting edge of that movement with golf carts for years.
Old 12-20-10, 08:07 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Never watched Fox News before and never will.
Old 12-20-10, 08:10 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rush Limbaugh '12!!!
Old 12-20-10, 08:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, everyone is bashing Fox News and yet this segment wasn't even on Fox News.

Fox Business is a different channel. And this is an opinion show. People seem to have a problem differentiating news shows and opinion/analysis shows. If you don't want to listen to opinion, tune in to your local news at 6.

This commentator has every right to question why tax payers have to shell out $7,500 a pop for a car they choose not to buy. People are so against putting gas in their cars but are OK with paying for someone else's car?

Quick Reply: Fox News attacks first Nissan Leaf owner, engages in a lot of hate