Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much would you offer for this 2011 Tc

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 06:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Might get key fobs and water bottle out of it.
Old 12-27-10, 03:14 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just use multiple dealers, dealer one might give it to you for msrp, but dealer 2 the main competing dealer might say we will take a 1000 if you buy from us
Old 12-27-10, 08:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be honest, though, the new 2011 tC did not impress me.
actually I poked my head in a new tC at a dealer the other day when I was dropping off my car for repair and thought it looked pretty cool with the 18s. Interior looked pretty much like the previous model; IMO when you buy a Scion its not (supposed to be) a luxo brand...its supposed to a reliable, cheap, youth oriented car.
Old 12-27-10, 10:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you on the new-vs.-used issue. For anything under about 40K, as I see it, buying new is probably worth the extra cash (though that may not be the case with top-level cars). Some used cars also have very little depreciation, and it can sometimes cost almost as much to buy used as it does new.
Agreed 100%, buying used only make sense for cars higher then the Camry/Accord, which is exactly like you said, $35k+. Depreciation for lower end cars are smaller and since the MSRP is so low, that little bit of depreciation are pretty small amount of cash, might as well buy a new one.

The higher you go though, the cash difference between new and used is HUGE! I saw a brand new 09' Bentley Arnage final series been sitting at the dealer unsold for 1 year, delivery miles on it..........just for sitting for one year, the list price is now $199k, MSRP was $290k I am sure the brand new Mulsanne coming out have something to do with it, but still $90k in one year! Also a used 2010 Bentley Continental Super Sport with 2k miles is listing for $199k, MSRP was $275k......1 year old with 2k miles depreciated $75k.....wow! But then I just know their MSRP, I don't know their actual sold price new, maybe it was a lot lower then the MSRP so the actual depreciation is less then it seems.
Old 12-27-10, 01:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
One of the only times it's logical to buy new is if you're a perfectionist or a detail fanatic and want a car that has zero blemishes so that you can start taking care of the car properly from day one and not worry about neglect or previous mistakes made by the original owners. Other than that, used FTW.
Well used is FTW, but for alot fo reasons, not just that one.

Yes, it is nice to keep your car as flawless as you can, but as soon as you drive it...you expose it to punishment. So I just learned to do my own body work and save the money/hassle. I invested $1,000 and now the only thing I have to do is buy supplies. I can paint, pull dents, and do almost everything I will ever need to do.

As far as buying new goes...My buddy just followed my lead. He bought a 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the Hemi. Loves it. I looked at and could immediately tell something was off with the paint. Come to find out, the truck had FALLEN OFF THE BACK OF THE HAULER! It was fixed, repainted, but since it was not registered at the time, and the VIN had not been processed through a DMV yet, it was never reported to CarFax and was able to be sold as NEW...

There was $15,940 in damage...Sticker price on the truck was $40,083. It was JUST SHY of being totalled. He was PISSED, and is in the process of legal recourse. Had it not been for my sharp eye, he would have never known.

So, go ahead and pay the premium for a NEW vehicle...but you never know whats been done to it either way. I would sooner buy one 2 years old with a decent history and pay half what you do for a new one. There is a used one of this guy's truck on a lot down the street, its a 2010 with 12,000 miles, and its going for 26,500. Thats almost HALF what he paid.
Old 12-27-10, 01:22 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

Yes, it is nice to keep your car as flawless as you can, but as soon as you drive it...you expose it to punishment. So I just learned to do my own body work and save the money/hassle. I invested $1,000 and now the only thing I have to do is buy supplies. I can paint, pull dents, and do almost everything I will ever need to do.

As far as buying new goes...My buddy just followed my lead. He bought a 2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the Hemi. Loves it. I looked at and could immediately tell something was off with the paint. Come to find out, the truck had FALLEN OFF THE BACK OF THE HAULER! It was fixed, repainted, but since it was not registered at the time, and the VIN had not been processed through a DMV yet, it was never reported to CarFax and was able to be sold as NEW...

There was $15,940 in damage...Sticker price on the truck was $40,083. It was JUST SHY of being totalled. He was PISSED, and is in the process of legal recourse. Had it not been for my sharp eye, he would have never known.

So, go ahead and pay the premium for a NEW vehicle...but you never know whats been done to it either way. I would sooner buy one 2 years old with a decent history and pay half what you do for a new one. There is a used one of this guy's truck on a lot down the street, its a 2010 with 12,000 miles, and its going for 26,500. Thats almost HALF what he paid.
Im all for new but, Wow unreal, sucks this happened, several of the dealers I worked for if a car got scratched it became a demo car, eventually sold at a discount, or leased cause it was not new, but these dealers did not want a damaged car to ruin their reputation, suck dealerships like this exist, whoever made the decision to sell your friend his truck with all that damage should be fed into a wood chipper feet 1st
Old 12-27-10, 01:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I felt especially bad because he bought one on my recommendation (not from the dealer I recommended though). It rolled when it fell off the hauler. I am amazed they could fix it at all. For the record it was sold by F.X. Caprara Dodge in Alexandria Bay NY.
Old 12-27-10, 01:54 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you'll get any kind of discount... try to get a deal on the extras though... your best bet is probably try to get a good interest rate though. GL
Old 12-27-10, 06:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I felt especially bad because he bought one on my recommendation (not from the dealer I recommended though). It rolled when it fell off the hauler. I am amazed they could fix it at all. For the record it was sold by F.X. Caprara Dodge in Alexandria Bay NY.
Originally Posted by BNR34
How do you avoid rock chips and scratches when you are driving the car on the road, parking the car in public parking lot?

And yes most brand new cars come with blemishes, in fact........this is not a well known facts.......a lot of brand new cars are repainted because they get damage during the shipping process. When all the brand new cars arrived at the port, they are inspected for damages, it is legal for the manufacturers to repaint damaged new cars and not tell anyone. It sucks for the perfectionist. But it make sense, tons of damages happened during shipping, what are they gonna do? Throw those cars away? Sold as damaged goods? No, they are gonna fix them and sell them like nothing happened.

It was shocking when I found out, since I used to be a perfectionist like yourself. That's why I never buy cars brand new anymore, it is pointless.
Yup, that's what I said earlier.........from my understanding, it is common industry practice to repair damaged brand new car and sold as nothing have happened. A brand new car on the showroom floor does not guarantee it is flawless at all.
Old 12-28-10, 07:35 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the downlow for Scion vehicles.

Prices for new vehicles are what you see is what you get. The sticker price is the price you pay. The place where you can negotiate is trade-in and accessories. All official accessories can be tacked onto your vehicle's financing.

Here is something a dealer can do to get around this rule without losing their franchise or whatnot:
List price has to be the same for all model X for that year. So if they have one brand new 2009 tC and the rest of their tC stock are 2010s, they can adjust the price of the 2009 to whatever they want. They can also do this for any 2009s so long as they all are being sold for the same price, accessories excluded. They generally aren't going to do this for their vehicles because they have many in stock and would have to change all of them to the same price. They can haggle on accessory pricing however.

I know this because I was able to get a 2008 tC well under stick price because it was their last remaining 2008 tC in stock. Brand new with 25 miles on it from shipping.

Also things to note, Scion's (Toyota Financial) finance rates are terrible. I was on the highest credit rating and I still only got a 5.95% rate. You are almost certainly better off getting a private loan from a bank. I don't think in the history of Scion have they offered any deals like 0% for X months.

I believe Scion dealers make most of their money off of accessories rather than number of vehicles sold. Toyota corporate makes their money off of financing (hence the fairly high rates for even the most qualified buyers).
Old 12-28-10, 07:55 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

How were you able to figure out or get conclusive info. that it had fallen off the trailer and rolled, etc. If there were no CarFax?
Old 12-28-10, 08:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
How were you able to figure out or get conclusive info. that it had fallen off the trailer and rolled, etc. If there were no CarFax?
also add in what the odds of getting a damage repaired new vehicle?
Less than 1%?
Old 12-28-10, 08:52 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

This is truth no reason to buy new unless you can pay it off or have no other bills and financially set.
Old 12-28-10, 09:11 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
And any tC is more reliable than any S60R.
I paid 16k USED private party with 41k miles for my S60R. Guy needed to sell bad economy. This same car is about 24k on any Volvo lot. I did get some zurich warranty for peace of mind. So I have a car faster, safer, more luxurious, rare, for 5k less then the BASE TC. Crap my Mazda 3 is even nicer then a TC with 140k.
Old 12-28-10, 01:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexmenow
This is truth no reason to buy new unless you can pay it off or have no other bills and financially set.
I learned that at 30

Quick Reply: How much would you offer for this 2011 Tc