Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much would you offer for this 2011 Tc

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 03:56 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
How were you able to figure out or get conclusive info. that it had fallen off the trailer and rolled, etc. If there were no CarFax?
He took it to a body shop here local, and they told him what all had been done repair wise, as far as they could tell. He spoke to an attorney's office in Syracuse NY and they did the digging, I couldnt begin to tell you the details, but the info I gave you is what I got from him as a friend to friend update. I have no proof or evidence to back it up other than the word of a friend I have known for a very long time. Any trained eye can tell the extent of the damage, I am guessing the dealer, when confronted by the Law office, came clean.
Old 12-28-10, 04:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
also add in what the odds of getting a damage repaired new vehicle?
Less than 1%?
I don't know the exact facts or figures, but I would imagine the percentage is a lot higher then that.

Of course major damage is probably quite rare, but little nicks and dings, big scratches here and there to the point of needing repainting, the % is much higher then we think.

My parent's Accord that they bought brand new from a Honda dealer, we later found out the roof panel was repainted. I think a panel here and there that are repainted on a brand new vehicle, happens quite often on mass produced cars with MSRP lower then $100k because people that handle those cars are pretty careless, is just a car to them, they are so sick of their job.

Obviously for exotic cars, their handlers are more careful, so they get damage a lot less during transport.
Old 12-28-10, 04:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
He took it to a body shop here local, and they told him what all had been done repair wise, as far as they could tell. He spoke to an attorney's office in Syracuse NY and they did the digging, I couldnt begin to tell you the details, but the info I gave you is what I got from him as a friend to friend update. I have no proof or evidence to back it up other than the word of a friend I have known for a very long time. Any trained eye can tell the extent of the damage, I am guessing the dealer, when confronted by the Law office, came clean.
I believe it, professional body shop that are in the business for a long time can tell exactly what's been done to any vehicles after they have seen thousands of them, they seen it all.

That's how I found out about my mom's brand new Accord's roof was repainted, my friend at a body shop told me. I didn't believe him at 1st since we had the car since brand new, he was like trust me, after being in the business for 20 years, he can tell a repainted panel from a mile away
Old 12-29-10, 12:58 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't know the exact facts or figures, but I would imagine the percentage is a lot higher then that.

Of course major damage is probably quite rare, but little nicks and dings, big scratches here and there to the point of needing repainting, the % is much higher then we think.

My parent's Accord that they bought brand new from a Honda dealer, we later found out the roof panel was repainted. I think a panel here and there that are repainted on a brand new vehicle, happens quite often on mass produced cars with MSRP lower then $100k because people that handle those cars are pretty careless, is just a car to them, they are so sick of their job.

Obviously for exotic cars, their handlers are more careful, so they get damage a lot less during transport.
Having worked in new car dealers, and having developed a stigma for what actually goes on, they are not as bad as your making them out to be and I know way more then I should and really wish I could un-see certain things, granted it's a hard business and employee turn over is high, and considering the current crappy economy, most people with a last resort head to sell cars which does suddenly lower the quality of people at these places.

What you have to do is keep your fingers crossed, hope for the best and be smart and informative, as well as pick the car up in the day light, I can't count the amount of people I know who bought used car and picked them up at night and guess what the car has significant cosmetic damage.

I hate dealers but they are not that bad, I have seen things that could make you laugh and cry for hours, and their are dealers that scratch every car but whatever, soon as you drive off the lot and park it will get hit so it does not matter.

Now for your exotic car comment, go work for one, all I can tell you is they take covering up accidental damage to the next level, so much that it's like the car was never damaged, I have seen cars completely disassembled and put back together, it is a sight to see.

Im glad I left the auto tech crap in the past, but honestly cosmetic damage does not concern me, just remember people don't change their oil, and not changing oil and fluids does way more costly damage then needing a panel repainted.
Old 12-29-10, 01:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Having worked in new car dealers, and having developed a stigma for what actually goes on, they are not as bad as your making them out to be and I know way more then I should and really wish I could un-see certain things, granted it's a hard business and employee turn over is high, and considering the current crappy economy, most people with a last resort head to sell cars which does suddenly lower the quality of people at these places.

What you have to do is keep your fingers crossed, hope for the best and be smart and informative, as well as pick the car up in the day light, I can't count the amount of people I know who bought used car and picked them up at night and guess what the car has significant cosmetic damage.

I hate dealers but they are not that bad, I have seen things that could make you laugh and cry for hours, and their are dealers that scratch every car but whatever, soon as you drive off the lot and park it will get hit so it does not matter.

Now for your exotic car comment, go work for one, all I can tell you is they take covering up accidental damage to the next level, so much that it's like the car was never damaged, I have seen cars completely disassembled and put back together, it is a sight to see.

Im glad I left the auto tech crap in the past, but honestly cosmetic damage does not concern me, just remember people don't change their oil, and not changing oil and fluids does way more costly damage then needing a panel repainted.
I was never an employee of any car dealership, is just in my opinion car dealership have the lowest moral of any business out there, they would do anything to make a buck as long as they can get away with it.

And I think you misunderstood me regarding my exotic car dealer's comment. I was saying exotic cars usually are handle much more carefully with more professional people, so they get damage a lot less then normal lower end cars. But I would imagine 100% that they would care much more to cover up accidental damage since they have a lot more money at stake. I wasn't saying they don't cover up their damaged cars. In fact, the more money involved, the more shady the people are!
Old 12-29-10, 07:14 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no mod but this is getting way off topic guys.
Old 12-29-10, 07:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm no mod but this is getting way off topic guys.
Yeah more tC talk please. Thanks

Old 12-29-10, 09:54 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

More Tc talk will be nice. Though I've been learning allot to be 'concerned about' with acquiring a new vehicle!
Old 12-30-10, 06:10 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I learned that at 30
28 and just learned it lol
Old 12-30-10, 06:13 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34

Every dealer has a dent guy, a paint guy, and a leather guy. Anyway back on topic. Why is the poster so hard up on a Scion TC????????