Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin to Build Future Maybach Models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 05:41 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aston Martin to Build Future Maybach Models?

It’s no secret that the revival of the Maybach brand by Mercedes parent company Daimler has been a flop. Perhaps it’s because of how much the cars shared with their S-Class counterparts, but apart from the odd Russian oligarch, the world’s wealthiest folks have decided to stick with faithful British brands like Bentley and Rolls-Royce when it comes to their ultra-luxury needs.

The ability of British brands to built true luxury cars has apparently not gone unnoticed by Daimler and according to a report by the Financial Times, Daimler may source Aston Martin to build the next generation of Maybach models.

In exchange, Aston Martin would reportedly get access to engine technology from Mercedes-Benz, something AM desperately needs as its 6.0-liter V12 engine (used in almost every vehicle it sells) is quickly becoming outdated.

A Daimler spokesman has denied the report, but did comment that the lines of communication between the two automakers is open. This comes as no surprise as Aston Martin’s Lagonda concept (which debuted at the Geneva Auto Show two years ago) was based on the Mercedes GL platform.

While still mostly a rumor, the story doesn’t have any obvious holes in it with Daimler eager to partner with other automakers (including recent agreements with Renault/Nissan/Infiniti), while Aston Martin is no doubt eager to find a large partner to offset costs, especially with rivals like Ferrari being owned by Fiat and Lamborghini by Volkswagen.
Read more Aston Martin Rumored to Build Maybach Models at AutoGuide.com
Old 12-23-10, 06:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aston does need newer/better engines. I think MB's line of powertrains would be appropriate; I really can't think of another company that would be better. MB knows how to make a powerful coupe while maintaining utmost luxury; Aston would gobble all that up. Aston will also in turn be able to make larger sedans if they had Maybach engineering access.

So, MB just signed to sponsor Ducati, and will possibly supply Aston's engines. I'm really liking the sound of that...
Old 12-23-10, 08:28 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Aston Martin designing Maybach = YES

Aston Martin getting Benz engine technology = YES

Aston Martin being able to trickle some Maybach technology to their own lineup = YESSSS
Old 12-23-10, 08:31 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be interesting to watch.
Old 12-23-10, 08:32 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Astons are pretty much perfect but an Aston with Mercedes-level engines and tech inside (especially the Nav, my god are Nav systems in Astons atrocious) would make the brand imo unbeatable.

As long as they keep making gorgeous cars
Old 12-23-10, 12:08 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, Tata would be a better fit for Aston. They would round-out a trifecta of classy/sexy cars with RR handling luxury/utility, Jag doing luxury sedans and Aston doing luxury/sports cars. Basically picking up where Ford failed in that department. Aston don't need a Merc engine tech. They did fine all alone imo. MB will be diluted pretty soon due to the rumoured partnership with nissan/renault. Can you imagine the bean counters in that partnership using a mass-produced V8 in a M45, Eclass, and a future hybrid for aston?
Old 12-23-10, 01:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Tata only supplies financial and organizational backing to LR [Land Rover] and Jag. (You got me confused with RR = Rolls Royce. )

Jaguar and Land Rover's engines are made in-house, and are still derived from Ford engines.

Aston is a whole different animal, whose engines are made in-house. They also used to be Ford derived, but are now independent of Ford. But for the sake of efficiency with ever-increasing fast-paced technology, it would be wise for Aston Martin to take advantage of Mercedes' engineering.
Old 12-23-10, 02:31 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^

Tata only supplies financial and organizational backing to LR [Land Rover] and Jag. (You got me confused with RR = Rolls Royce. )

Jaguar and Land Rover's engines are made in-house, and are still derived from Ford engines.

Aston is a whole different animal, whose engines are made in-house. They also used to be Ford derived, but are now independent of Ford. But for the sake of efficiency with ever-increasing fast-paced technology, it would be wise for Aston Martin to take advantage of Mercedes' engineering.
Yeah i meant to say LR. But whats wrong with Aston doing there own engines in house with Tata backing them financially? Even though there V12's are a bit dated dont mean they cant build a new, good one. A dated engine does not mean it under performs and doesnt mean a company needs help from another. That V12 still competes and out perform a lot of engines in its class. In my eyes thats longevity. IMO, let them stay where they are and just ride the storm if there is one. If companies keep merging and sharing everything, there would really be no competition based on performance but styling only. Picture this: Year 2025. Your average Astons could possibly have its body built in-house with a engine from MB and its trans and other hardware from Nissan. No "FrankenCars" for me. No thanks!