Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoho ho Merry Xmas and we got rearended

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 10:32 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just glad your okay, as long as it's the car and not you guys just be glad. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-10, 10:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear. Glad everyone is OK and Happy Holidays! Don't let this ruin them
Old 12-24-10, 11:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the accident, glad to hear you are ok. That was quite a hard hit, and right-oh "her brakes failed", her driving skills were the biggest failure.
Old 12-24-10, 11:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh man... This is terrible, one of the worst hits you can sustain. Not enough to total the car, but it will never be fixed correctly. I've had a similar hit with one of my cars back in the summer, and its nowhere near the way it should be after the repair. The thing is, this hit doesnt affect just the rear end, it putts stress on the whole car, your doors will not operate the same way, you may have some rattles because of the street to everything on the interior, etc. Its always some stupid idiot in a POS minivan or a crapbucket car that ruins it for people
Old 12-24-10, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Oh man... This is terrible, one of the worst hits you can sustain. Not enough to total the car, but it will never be fixed correctly. I've had a similar hit with one of my cars back in the summer, and its nowhere near the way it should be after the repair. The thing is, this hit doesnt affect just the rear end, it putts stress on the whole car, your doors will not operate the same way, you may have some rattles because of the street to everything on the interior, etc. Its always some stupid idiot in a POS minivan or a crapbucket car that ruins it for people
I wouldn't be quite so negative, Och. While it is true that it is hard to get a body-repair 100% perfect, there are a lot of excellent body shops that can do a 98 or 99% (especially if no unibody-frame-damage is done). I've seen a few shops that I virtually can't tell brand-new from their work.....and my eyes, for things like that, are still pretty sharp, even at my age.
Old 12-24-10, 12:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The good thing is the doors are fine with opening and closing and the gaps are not affected.The car doesn't have any rattles with the damage.The rear fenders are fine except for a 1" or so dent at the top near the rear window and trunk area.Without seeing it my guy said he knows what I'm talking about and feels those dents will be easily fixed and there's no paint repair with them.
The bumper cover took the beating.Popped off the sides where it meets the fenders before damaging the fenders.I looked under and the trunk seems to be ok.Muffler and tailpipe tip is ok except for the rod off the muffler with the rubber hangers is bent.I'll put ties on the rubber hanger hole and the muffler rod to hold the muffler just in case.Trunk lid fit is off from the impact but no paint or dent damage.
I'll know more Monday but it really doesn't look bad underneath to my eye.In any case I'd rather have a rear hit repair then frontal hit repair.
The shop I use is a friend and they do fabulous work.They restored my '69 Corvette and other classic cars along with a few family collision repairs.
One good thing was I was moving at around 5 MPH so there was much less of an impact then if I was parked or stopped.She maybe was going 25 MPH or so.
The damage might look worse than it actually is.
Of course the Carfax report will hurt value down the road.

Here's the side pics.No fender damage except the dent you can barely see at the top.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-24-10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-24-10, 12:40 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap! Your sig says its a 2011 too. Glad to hear that you and your wife are alright though, and yes, enjoy Christmas with your kids and grandkids.
Old 12-24-10, 12:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Try and have a nice holiday in spite of it .....and, yes, be glad it wasn't the RX.

Yes, it is. In most cases (with some rare exceptions), if you rear-end someone, legally you are at fault.

While he and his wife, of course will have to speak for themselves (I won't make any presumptions here), it doesn't look to me like the Camry was hit hard enough, even if the front-seat headrests were adjusted too low, for them to have suffered major (or significant) whiplash injury. I once sat as the jury foreman on a civil case very similiar to this....a relatively mild 3-car chain rear-ender.

Head-rest position, of course, is very important in rear-impacts. That's why Saab and Volvo developed the lever/weight system that swings the headrest forward in a rear-impact so that it instantaneoulsy contacts the back of your neck/head, with no free-play, and why some other manufacturers are using the tilt-forward headrest design that some people (including me) find effective but sometimes uncomfortable.
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Glad you're o.k. though...
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
joe - very sorry for the accident, that sucks. def. have your wife get herself checked out.
the other driver probably got a reckless driving ticket (hopefully).

glad you've got a body shop you trust, and hopefully it will be all better soon...
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry to hear. Hope yall are okay.
Originally Posted by mikez
Sorry hear, glad youre okay. NJ drivers are the worst.

Same thing almost happened to me yesterday, I was stopping at the lights and I see behind me a Volvo overtaking the van behind me on the shoulder... I was like wow what a a**hole.

Next light as I was slowing down, all of a sudden I see the Volvo about to shoot past me on the shoulder again but stopped right when he was about to over take me. He looked at his wife and was like "whew"... so either this guy was driving with his family with no brakes, or he should be paying more attention...

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Just glad your okay, as long as it's the car and not you guys just be glad. Happy Holidays!
Originally Posted by passnu2
Sorry to hear. Glad everyone is OK and Happy Holidays! Don't let this ruin them
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sorry about the accident, glad to hear you are ok. That was quite a hard hit, and right-oh "her brakes failed", her driving skills were the biggest failure.
Originally Posted by felixsc300
Holy crap! Your sig says its a 2011 too. Glad to hear that you and your wife are alright though, and yes, enjoy Christmas with your kids and grandkids.
Thanks,all.
Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Old 12-24-10, 01:41 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. Have a merry christmas no matter what!
Old 12-24-10, 02:19 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully your wife's neck is alright and the car gets fixed soon.