Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoho ho Merry Xmas and we got rearended

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 05:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hoho ho Merry Xmas and we got rearended

With the wife on our way out to dinner on a traffic filled highway creeping at about 5 miles an hour in the slow lane.My exit is a mile up the road but this *&#$%%^ slammed into us.She had to be going pretty fast with the hit we felt.I hit a newer Corolla in front of me lightly because I was able to hit the brake to lessen the hit.
The front bumper cover clips popped a bit dead center at the grill.Bend in my front license plate and frame.
The woman was driving an older minivan and said her brakes failed.Maybe or was she on the phone?
Her minivan had to be towed.Her headlights smashed and radiator was gone.
I'm glad this wasn't the RX.

Old 12-24-10, 05:19 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Joeb, so sorry to hear about your Camry. Unfortunately it's not against the law to drive stupid. No injuries I hope to you and and your wife?
Old 12-24-10, 05:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the car... sounds like no injuries so could have been much worse.... remember that and Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-10, 05:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Joeb, so sorry to hear about your Camry. Unfortunately it's not against the law to drive stupid. No injuries I hope to you and and your wife?
Thanks,Anita.
The wife did say right after the point of impact her neck bothered her a bit but was fine after a few minutes and this morning.We told the cop and he asked if she wanted to go to the hospital but she declined but the neck issue should be in the police report just in case.
As you may know we can't get the police report for 3 business days.
The Camry is drivable but I'm going to try and get a rental through my insurance.
I've heard insurance won't pay for a rental if the vehicle is drivable but will pay when in for repair.However,I can't get the trunk open in case of a flat tire.Calling my agent this morning.
Old 12-24-10, 05:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Sorry about the car... sounds like no injuries so could have been much worse.... remember that and Merry Christmas!!!
Thanks,true and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-10, 05:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thanks,Anita.
The wife did say right after the point of impact her neck bothered her a bit but was fine after a few minutes and this morning.We told the cop and he asked if she wanted to go to the hospital but she declined but the neck issue should be in the police report just in case.
As you may know we can't get the police report for 3 business days.
The Camry is drivable but I'm going to try and get a rental through my insurance.
I've heard insurance won't pay for a rental if the vehicle is drivable but will pay when in for repair.However,I can't get the trunk open in case of a flat tire.Calling my agent this morning.
I would definitely wait until you get an estimate and not drive the Camry. You don't know the complete extent of damage and like you point out, you can't get into the trunk if you get a flat.

I hope the douche got a few tickets. It was blatant driver error on her part. Your wife should get her neck checked out just in case. We pay enough for insurance around here. Try to enjoy Christmas. It will get better.
Old 12-24-10, 05:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.... Your wife should get her neck checked out just in case. We pay enough for insurance around here. Try to enjoy Christmas. It will get better.
+1 on this big time
Old 12-24-10, 05:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I would definitely wait until you get an estimate and not drive the Camry. You don't know the complete extent of damage and like you point out, you can't get into the trunk if you get a flat.

I hope the douche got a few tickets. It was blatant driver error on her part. Your wife should get her neck checked out just in case. We pay enough for insurance around here. Try to enjoy Christmas. It will get better.
I drove the Camry home on the highway and no feel or sound problems but won't use the car.
I don't know if the woman received any tickets.I doubt it.I guess I'll find out more with the police report.
Fortunately,we have a friend in the body shop repair business and he knows how fussy I am and he does great work.50 miles away,though but worth it.
Christmas will still be enjoyed.We have a grandchild and I'm dressing up as Santa again.I hope I can get away with it.It's too much fun but she is a very intelligent 3.5 year old and I may slip up.
Have a happy holiday,Anita.
Old 12-24-10, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Joeb, so sorry to hear about your Camry.
Try and have a nice holiday in spite of it .....and, yes, be glad it wasn't the RX.

Unfortunately it's not against the law to drive stupid.
Yes, it is. In most cases (with some rare exceptions), if you rear-end someone, legally you are at fault.

No injuries I hope to you and and your wife?
While he and his wife, of course will have to speak for themselves (I won't make any presumptions here), it doesn't look to me like the Camry was hit hard enough, even if the front-seat headrests were adjusted too low, for them to have suffered major (or significant) whiplash injury. I once sat as the jury foreman on a civil case very similiar to this....a relatively mild 3-car chain rear-ender.

Head-rest position, of course, is very important in rear-impacts. That's why Saab and Volvo developed the lever/weight system that swings the headrest forward in a rear-impact so that it instantaneoulsy contacts the back of your neck/head, with no free-play, and why some other manufacturers are using the tilt-forward headrest design that some people (including me) find effective but sometimes uncomfortable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-24-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 06:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you're o.k. though...
Old 12-24-10, 06:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While he and his wife, of course will have to speak for themselves (I won't make any presumptions here), it doesn't look to me like the Camry was hit hard enough, even if the front-seat headrests were adjusted too low, for them to have suffered major (or significant) whiplash injury. I once sat as the jury foreman on a civil case very similiar to this....a relatively mild 3-car chain rear-ender.
I brought it up because Joeb was barely moving when he was hit. And per his own words, the person who hit him was going much faster, enough to cause him to hit the car in front of him. I'm not advocating milking the system. It's a matter of making sure his wife isn't injured especially with the holidays coming up. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-24-10, 07:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

joe - very sorry for the accident, that sucks. def. have your wife get herself checked out.
the other driver probably got a reckless driving ticket (hopefully).

glad you've got a body shop you trust, and hopefully it will be all better soon...
Old 12-24-10, 08:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks all and Happy Holidays to you.

Anyone want to play guess the damage cost?I'd say $4K.
Two side rear fender have the same very a slight buckle at the top where they meet the trunk near the rear windshield.I called my buddy who will work on the car says those buckles can be pulled out.
Monday,I go to a nearby Travelers Insurance shop for an estimate.Then will bring the Camry to my buddy's shop for the repair.
Old 12-24-10, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Sorry to hear. Hope yall are okay.

Old 12-24-10, 08:43 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry hear, glad youre okay. NJ drivers are the worst.

Same thing almost happened to me yesterday, I was stopping at the lights and I see behind me a Volvo overtaking the van behind me on the shoulder... I was like wow what a a**hole.

Next light as I was slowing down, all of a sudden I see the Volvo about to shoot past me on the shoulder again but stopped right when he was about to over take me. He looked at his wife and was like "whew"... so either this guy was driving with his family with no brakes, or he should be paying more attention...

Quick Reply: Hoho ho Merry Xmas and we got rearended