Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had a lousy day today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10 | 12:28 PM
designo
Pole Position

Default Had a lousy day today!

First I take my M5 for a cruise on a quiet friday morning to stretch her legs... and pow, my iDrive lights up like a christmas tree ( ironically )

I limp her home, decide to take the GS out for a spin only to discover this!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...e-careful.html
Old 12-24-10 | 12:39 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

That sucks. Imagine what the ordinary chevy driving folk would say of they heard your relatively new Lexus and BMW let you down in one day!

Well at least you have your trusty Porsche!
Old 12-24-10 | 12:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I have has issues with tire rack tires too. My current PS2 tires have a bad case of radial pull which causes me to have to steer a few degrees to the left to keep the car straight.

What happened to your Yokohamas is just ridiculous. I won't be buying any Yokohamas anytime soon. My next tire will be a Michelin PSS
Old 12-24-10 | 02:54 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by batman75
I have has issues with tire rack tires too. My current PS2 tires have a bad case of radial pull which causes me to have to steer a few degrees to the left to keep the car straight.

What happened to your Yokohamas is just ridiculous. I won't be buying any Yokohamas anytime soon. My next tire will be a Michelin PSS
good thing I havent purchased my tires, was gonna purchase from them guess not.
Old 12-24-10 | 05:48 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Ouch bad luck.
Old 12-24-10 | 06:29 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

I've always wanted a 335i/M3/a nice BMW just to toy with the iDrive system. Especially the refreshed ones in 2009+.
Old 12-25-10 | 01:13 PM
designo
Pole Position

We will observe the tires carefully tomorrow and try to figure out if this is caused by rubbing with fender wells!

Although the rubbing is very very slight, we will still need to confirm this before I take the matter up with tire rack any further!

We must be fair and reasonable! Tire Rack have been very good to me!
Old 12-25-10 | 02:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigblack06
good thing I havent purchased my tires, was gonna purchase from them guess not.
I don't want to deter you. I think how the tires are shipped and stored is a problem that faces every dealer. I had good experience with tire rack until this latest set. Not sure of the radial pull is caused by them mishandling tire or is a manufacturer defect. Eitherway claims process is too cumbersome so I am just putting up with it.
Old 12-25-10 | 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by designo
First I take my M5 for a cruise on a quiet friday morning to stretch her legs... and pow, my iDrive lights up like a christmas tree ( ironically )

DSC failure and other electronic glitches are not uncommon on BMWs (and many other German-designed vehicles). We have discussed them a number of times in this forum.

However, your case looks interesting. Perhaps (?) there was nothing wrong with the actual DSC itself, but the computer (maybe) shut it down as a safety-precaution to the low tire pressure and/or condition of the tire. Bad tires, of course, are not conducive to aggressive driving or good traction.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-25-10 | 06:51 PM
LexFather

Sounds like an excuse to mod some
Old 12-25-10 | 09:51 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I've never had a problem with Tire Rack or Yokohama, my tire guy thinks I work undercover for Yokohama cause it's all I buy
Old 12-26-10 | 03:04 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
DSC failure and other electronic glitches are not uncommon on BMWs (and many other German-designed vehicles). We have discussed them a number of times in this forum.

However, your case looks interesting. Perhaps (?) there was nothing wrong with the actual DSC itself, but the computer (maybe) shut it down as a safety-precaution to the low tire pressure and/or condition of the tire. Bad tires, of course, are not conducive to aggressive driving or good traction.
Diagnosed the fault today, turns out it's a faulty Steering Angle Sensor! I'm taking the car into the dealer tomorrow and telling them to go ahead with the work! If they bill me, I'm slapping this on their table!

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340506g.htm

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I've never had a problem with Tire Rack or Yokohama, my tire guy thinks I work undercover for Yokohama cause it's all I buy
I've been very happy with Yokohamas on my M5 which were purchased from Tire Rack. It's just the Lexus tires that have been a real PITA!
Old 12-26-10 | 04:09 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

You should wear your seatbelt next time. Safety First!
Old 12-26-10 | 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by designo
Diagnosed the fault today, turns out it's a faulty Steering Angle Sensor!
Yes, that would make sense. The SA (or yaw) sensor is one of the key components of a DSC system. It tells the computer how hard you are turning the wheel and compares that to the car's actual turning rate.

I'm taking the car into the dealer tomorrow and telling them to go ahead with the work! If they bill me, I'm slapping this on their table!
If your car is less than 4 years old, or with less than 50,000 miles, BMW's factory warranty should cover it........not to mention, of course, the TSB you posted. BMW also gives 3 or 4 years of free maintenance on many of its vehicles as well.
Old 12-26-10 | 10:10 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Incredible
You should wear your seatbelt next time. Safety First!
LOL I was parked at home dude!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that would make sense. The SA (or yaw) sensor is one of the key components of a DSC system. It tells the computer how hard you are turning the wheel and compares that to the car's actual turning rate.

If your car is less than 4 years old, or with less than 50,000 miles, BMW's factory warranty should cover it........not to mention, of course, the TSB you posted. BMW also gives 3 or 4 years of free maintenance on many of its vehicles as well.
My car's factory warranty expired last May. But service bulletins ( factory recalls ) are applicable throughout the life of the car. But notice the bulletin states that replacement should be carried out on next visit, this bulletin was not a "on customer complaint basis only" bulletin, they should have taken care of my car 4 years ago!

Quick Reply: Had a lousy day today!